Gibson Les Paul Classic vs. Traditional vs. Standard (again)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RocknPop, Jan 26, 2012.

1. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

While I realize I am probably the 4,000th person to post this question (because I have done the search, I have looked on mylespaul forum, this forum, gibson's forum, etc), I still cannot find a clear, well-organized, concise, and facts only source of reliable information on the differences among these.

I thought perhaps we can work together on creating the thread, I will keep modifying this first post and then... voila! When someone Googles "Difference between Gibson Les Paul Classic, Standard, and Traditional" they would find either a chart or a well written comparison for them.

(And let's feel free to kill this thread if there is a clearer reference)

Classic (plus)
    Pickups: Neck Uncovered 496R; Bridge Uncovered 500T
    Neck: Mahogany, '50s Rounded or '60s SlimTaper
    Body:

Traditional
    Pickups: Neck '57 Classic; Bridge '57 Classic Plus
    Neck: Mahogany, 50s style
    Body: Not chambered, weight relieved

Standard
    Pickups: Neck - Burstbucker Pro; Bridge - Burstbucker Pro
    Neck: Mahogany, asymetrical
    Body: Chambered (before 2008)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. mbargav

mbargav Member

Standards are chambered (Swiss-cheesed before 2008), Traditionals are not.

What's the rosewood situation? I know Traditionals still have rosewood fretboards, and the Classic (plus) is now baked maple. Is Gibson still using rosewood for Standards?

3. Drawde

Drawde Member

Traditionals are weight relieved.

4. beckerman

beckerman Member

I don't believe any Classics have a 50's neck. They're reissues of the 1960 model Les Paul, hence the 1960 engraved on the pick guard.

5. mbargav

mbargav Member

They're still chambered. Before 2008, they used to "Swiss-cheese" them. Swiss cheese = holes in the body. Chambering = chambers in specific areas.

6. RocknPop

I checked Gibson's website and it states that the 50s classic plus has a 50s or 60s neck.

7. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

this would require a very long extensive list that has years attached. The classic and Standard have gone through numerous changes over their lifetime and sometime overlap each other with similar features more than others. Changes are as varied as inlay look,color & material, bridge type and materials, fret sizes, pots and caps used, pickups, tuners, quality of wood materials and number of pieces of wood allowed to be used in a specific model, binding shape, size, color, body contours and shape - really the list is very extensive and not a simple this is a classic and this is a standard sort of thing. There are many variations on the classic and the standard over the years. There is some good info at the "lespaulforum.com" on the break down of many of these years and features but again they have changed since the last time I saw a post about it.

8. RocknPop

Exactly the reason for starting this thread. I envision this slowly becoming perhaps a table with all the variables you have listed as a row and the type of les paul by year in the columns.

If you can link us to the page were this is summarized in the other forum that would help.

9. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Pretty sure it's referring to this:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

10. RocknPop

11. EvanPC

EvanPC Member

I think the info you're looking for might be found here. It's a Gibson USA spec list for most current, standard production LP's and SG's. You should be able to directly compare the Classic Plus, Traditional, and Standard, in regards to typical specs.

http://db.tt/9LGjah32

The link will take you to Dropbox, where the pdf file is hosted and can be downloaded/printed. The image below is simply a screenshot of a page in the file (3 total). A printed version will be larger and easy to read.

[​IMG]

I posted this a little while back to share with TGP community. Link to original thread below:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1010672

12. RocknPop

Very nice Evan, thanks for sharing. I think this takes care of most of the basic comparisons.