Gibson Les Paul Custom 2021 (2022)

Guitarjon

UPDATE 2: I want to try the Custom through multiple amps. Here I run it through the Friedman JJ JR and PRS MT15 to compare how they both sound with this brilliant axe!

UPDATE: got my brand new 2021 Gibson Les Paul Custom! I thought I'd make a review and demo so you guys can hear and see it in action. I also share my thoughts on the quality etc:

UPDATE 2:

I also got my 60s Standard yesterday!
Here are my thoughts so far:

Overall it's a great guitar! It feels like it's an older instrument than it actually is. I guess this has to do with the finish. It feels super smooth on the neck when you play it. Many older standards and classics that I played seemed to have a much more sticky finish, this one not. Very smooth and like I said, it feels kind of vintage, which is cool.

Talking about feel, the fret ends are super smooth and rounded off! I got the action nice and low so the frets seemed to be plek'ed well too. The fretboard was pretty dry so I oiled it up when I put a set of Elixirs on it.

Acoustically it's also quite a different experience than any other Les Paul I've ever played. Much more bright when it comes to resonance. Not as deep and bassy sounding as my custom but more open and bright for sure. Maybe this has to do with the thinness of the finish or something, and the wood. It's not a very heavy guitar. I remember some standards that I've played from the 2000s and those were heavier, and sounded less vibrant.

The guitar looks good, I love the top. I'll try to post some pics here soon, or a video but that might take a little time because I'm not a fan of the stock pickups at all. I'm going to put Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz pickups in it asap. I guess the burstbucker 61s are cool for clean, low to mid gain tones but imho they're pretty bad for anything high gain. Super muddy and flabby, especially when tuned to drop D. Almost shockingly bad for modern rock and metal but that's just my taste. So I can't wait to really start rocking on it when I put the SDs in there.

Those are my overall thoughts after having had it for a day or so. Let me know if you guys have any questions!

Here's a picture from my IG:

Hey all, I'm looking to purchase a Les Paul Custom. I had one years ago (2007/2008 model) and that one was amazing. I've regretted selling it! So now I'm very curious about the current overall quality of Les Paul Customs. If I buy one new, what can I expect? I'm expecting great things, especially for that price but I'm curious to hear your thoughts. I would have to order one but sending it back will be no issue. Trying it in person would be better but that's not really possible atm. Cheers!

Last edited:

Guitarjon

My experience and what I’ve seen has been: You’re going to receive an amazing guitar that makes you surprised anyone is complaining about Gibson qc or a guitar riddled with issues that’s going to make you wonder who in their right mind would’ve let it leave the factory like that.

To be honest, if I spend that amount of money on a guitar, it better be good haha! Luckily I would be able to send it back if it's not to my liking. The crazy thing is that the one I had 14 years ago was half the price!

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all, I'm looking to purchase a Les Paul Custom. I had one years ago (2007/2008 model) and that one was amazing. I've regretted selling it! So now I'm very curious about the current overall quality of Les Paul Customs. If I buy one new, what can I expect? I'm expecting great things, especially for that price but I'm curious to hear your thoughts. I would have to order one but sending it back will be no issue. Trying it in person would be better but that's not really possible atm. Cheers!
Should be a keeper! I am seeing some good deals from the Gibson Demo shop. They are pretty picky with showing you all the small finish scuffs.

MNGuitar

I bought a 2021 model, brand new, and absolutely love it. There is a slight orange peel look to the finish along the bass side tuning peg area of the headstock, but not the front or back of the headstock and is the only "issue" I've encountered. I swapped out the kidney bean buttons for tulips. Weighs 9lbs 4oz and is on par with my 2010 Silverburst I used to own.

Attachments

• 16404944672038402747140531253673.jpg
    16404944672038402747140531253673.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 121

GtrTravel

Jon, I can say my LP custom is awesome. I think it is one of the best guitars for tracking all kinds of rhythm guitar styles. I am the type who takes it to a luthier for a proper setup rather than dreaming of a perfect play out of the box. AFIK, customs have the 400/498 pups, which may not be everyone's ride. I preferred some seymour duncans and am very happy. Go with a good seller who will work with you if something is wrong.

IMHO, the Jerry Cantrell or Adam Jones LP customs would suit your metal style well. Just an fyi, the Slash LP standard is pretty killer sounding. Obviously not LP custom but something that would fit your style.

Guitarjon

Jon, I can say my LP custom is awesome. I think it is one of the best guitars for tracking all kinds of rhythm guitar styles. I am the type who takes it to a luthier for a proper setup rather than dreaming of a perfect play out of the box. AFIK, customs have the 400/498 pups, which may not be everyone's ride. I preferred some seymour duncans and am very happy. Go with a good seller who will work with you if something is wrong.

Thanks! My seller would likely be Thomann. Sending stuff back is no issue with them.

GtrTravel

To be honest, if I spend that amount of money on a guitar, it better be good haha! Luckily I would be able to send it back if it's not to my liking. The crazy thing is that the one I had 14 years ago was half the price!
Thanks! My seller would likely be Thomann. Sending stuff back is no issue with them.
Jon, you might dig the Jerry Cantrell or Adam Jones LP customs. Also the Slash which is a Standard, is killer. All would fit your style well.

Austin_Taunt

Silver Supporting Member
Here are your chances with a proper setup:

40% An incredible guitar that can’t be beat only equaled.

55% A very nice guitar that is worth keeping and will do its job wonderfully

4.5% You may not like some minor QC issue in fit and finish that can be accommodated by a small discount

.5% A bad guitar that shouldn’t have left the factory. I still think this number is high.

Gibson makes outstanding guitars. Just a lot of over reaction about small stuff gets posted. I looked at an $60k truck that had minor orange peel all over it just like 99% of other vehicles on the lot. For some reason they get a pass when costing 10-20x more than a guitar. A finish crack at the nut makes people think it’s worth half. I don’t get it.

Guitarjon

Here are your chances with a proper setup:

40% An incredible guitar that can’t be beat only equaled.

55% A very nice guitar that is worth keeping and will do its job wonderfully

4.5% You may not like some minor QC issue in fit and finish that can be accommodated by a small discount

.5% A bad guitar that shouldn’t have left the factory. I still think this number is high.

Gibson makes outstanding guitars. Just a lot of over reaction about small stuff gets posted. I looked at an $60k truck that had minor orange peel all over it just like 99% of other vehicles on the lot. For some reason they get a pass when costing 10-20x more than a guitar. A finish crack at the nut makes people think it’s worth half. I don’t get it.

The most important thing for me is that the sound is resonant and deep with a rich sustain and that the action is fast and low. Just like my old one. Small cosmetic imperfections aren't a big deal.

Frosted Glass

My 63RI SG custom was made in Sep 2020. I took a gamble and bought it unplayed whilst in COVID lockdown.
Overall, it’s a wonderful soulful instrument that I can’t put down. I adore it. They must reserve the best MOP for Customs as the inlays are far more iridescent than my early 2020 build Hummingbird standard.
But there were a few flaws that I was a bit surprised by given the price point:
- knot or similar in the fretboard, with 2 slight crevasses in the wood at this point. I know Ebony is scarce endangered and we have to not waste it, but I also know it has a tendency to split and worry that’s a weak point;
- rough saw cut of the top of the fretboard, where it meets the nut. Some clearly visible pitting in the wood;
- a rather deep non-uniform headstock binding scrape that just abruptly ends and was just left as is;
- strange indent or pock mark in the last layer (lacquer?) of the binding on the headstock, that was just left as is;

Once you start playing a few songs you forget about the above. But if you demand absolute perfection in the fit and finish I’d suggesting checking it out in person first to see if you can live with its inevitable flaws.

Guitarjon

My 63RI SG custom was made in Sep 2020. I took a gamble and bought it unplayed whilst in COVID lockdown.
Overall, it’s a wonderful soulful instrument that I can’t put down. I adore it. They must reserve the best MOP for Customs as the inlays are far more iridescent than my early 2020 build Hummingbird standard.
But there were a few flaws that I was a bit surprised by given the price point:
- knot or similar in the fretboard, with 2 slight crevasses in the wood at this point. I know Ebony is scarce endangered and we have to not waste it, but I also know it has a tendency to split and worry that’s a weak point;
- rough saw cut of the top of the fretboard, where it meets the nut. Some clearly visible pitting in the wood;
- a rather deep non-uniform headstock binding scrape that just abruptly ends and was just left as is;
- strange indent or pock mark in the last layer (lacquer?) of the binding on the headstock, that was just left as is;

Once you start playing a few songs you forget about the above. But if you demand absolute perfection in the fit and finish I’d suggesting checking it out in person first to see if you can live with its inevitable flaws.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the little flaws. The core instrument just has to be good.

Pkdawg

What the neck like on these new ones? I’m borrowing my friends 2016 Custom and it feels like a bit beefier than the 60s, but still comfortable for me. Certainly not a 50s. I’m considering my own Black Custom and was curious if the necks are similar. I think it’s going to be awhile until we start seeing the big retailers get these in stock again. They are all out now.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
Like most high end Gibsons, it'll feel great and have that sound in spades, and if you look close enough, will reveal a few subtle 'character' flaws just to remind you that it's still a labor intensive hand made product.

If you get a good one, that is. ;)

LikeAMotherF

Silver Supporting Member
I don't want to piss in the punch bowl, but I've had my hands on a few of the higher end Gibsons since the ownership change, and I was honestly surprised by how hit-or-miss they have been. For every one that seemed to be really great, there have been two that had issues that you wouldn't expect to find on a $4k+ instrument.

Again, this is only anecdotal, and not from an huge sample pool. But it has been my experience that the regular, USA production Gibsons have been more consistent than the bougie Custom Shop stuff. And while they're hit or miss as well, the flaws you find are more acceptable at half the price.

If I were looking for LPC, I'd try and find a used one from the 80's or 90's. Actually, that's precisely what I did.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom