Gibson Les Paul Custom 57' reissue...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JohnSykes, Feb 28, 2012.

1. JohnSykes

JohnSykes Member

I decided my Standard will be my blues rock guitar. I love it, its great, but i want a screaming hard rock machine.

What do you think about the LPC 57 ri (the one with 2 pickups)? Also, whats a fair price for one?

Thanks!

2. marantz1300

marantz1300 Member

I have a 57 with Dimarzios and a 71 Deluxe with T-Tops.The
    [​IMG] Custom rocks.

3. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Just admit it, you want a 2nd LP.

4. JohnSykes

JohnSykes Member

Lol ok, ok!

A 2nd and 3rd!

5. b2sc

b2sc Member

$2400 is a very good price for a Historic R7BB and you occassionally see them in that neightborhood.

6. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

I couldn't sell my '02 BB R7 till I had it listed for $2K shipped. yeah. Market is soft.

Killer, killer guitar though!!!

7. JohnSykes

JohnSykes Member

Yeah, but those are Custom Shop, not Les Paul Custom.

8. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

R7s are great guitars...very versatile after I changed the burstbuckers...covers it all. My buddy just picked up a near mint 03 R7 for 1800.

9. jjp

jjp Senior Member

Ah, yes they are!

10. JP~)

JP~) Member

For a screaming rock machine...get thee an early 70's custom. Find one with lots of player wear...as you will have a better chance of it not being a dog if you can't play many before buying.

11. JP~)

JP~) Member

Smexy

12. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

If it's an R7 it will come from the custom shop. Years ago Gibson also had all regular production customs coming out of the custom shop as well, don't know if this is still the case.

As far as the price, they range from 1700 on up used depending on what features, color, etc.

I have a 2000 R7 in washed cherry with 3 humbuckers, great solid guitar and incredible sound. I paid about 2400 but we're going back a few years when the market was doing well.

13. jjp

jjp Senior Member

Can someone please exaplin the difference between a custom shop and a "regular production custom"? These nuances are the likely reason why I didn't notice the differences when I was looking at those LPs on ebay.

14. Slashtone

Slashtone Member

I have an R8 "standard" and an R7 Custom black beauty. The R8 has an edgier sound, for raunchy rock n roll. My R7 BB has a smoother, more polished tone that I prefer when I'm playing blues.

The R8 has burstbuckers P-Us, and I believe the R7 Custom has 57 classics P-Us. I'm not sure how much of the difference in tone is due to the different P-Us vs. the different woods. The R8 has a maple top and a rosewood fretboard, but the R7 BB has an all mahogany body and an ebony fretboard.

Used prices are all over the place, and now is probably as good a time to buy a used one as ever, because the economy stinks. It really depends on the year, the condition, etc. You might could find one for as low as 2K, maybe. 2500-3K is more common.

I paid around $2300 for my R7 Custom, and it was a player/beater that has been around the block, which I think is cool. I love guitars that are beat up from honest wear on them. No guitar I but new will ever be a "beater," as I tend to baby my guitars. So if I want a beater, I have to buy one used from one of you rowdy folks.

The custom shop refers to guitars that were made in Gibson's Custom shop, as opposed to the "regular" Gibsons made in the Gibson USA shop. The historic reissues and other high end Gibsons come from the Custom shop.

A Les Paul Custom is a particular kind of Les Paul guitar, and can be made in either the Custom or the USA shops, depending on the kind. Les Paul customs have fancier binding, the split diamond inlay on the headstock, block fretboard inlays (instead of trapezoids), and gold hardware.

15. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

What Slashtone said

Years ago when Gibson made it simple, 4 basic LP models (I know there was sub models but humor me)

Regular US production
    Studio
    Standard
    Custom

Custom Shop
    Historic/Reissue

Then Gibson changed things up a little and decided to make the Les Paul Custom (We'll call it a Black Beauty) in the Custom shop along with the historics. So you could buy a new Black Beauty, non historic and it was made in the Custom shop. But if you bought a new Standard it was made in the US production shop.

I never figured out why they did that.

16. JohnSykes

JohnSykes Member

Cool info, thanks.

Anyone knows if they changed the specs on the custom 57 ri in the last couple of years? I found one of these with a Nashville bridge and Grover tuners, but i thought they came with abr and vintage style tuners.

17. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

^ Nashville = regular / non-historic Custom (swiss cheese body, short neck tenon).

Regular Customs became Custom Shop guitars 2003ish but they are no different than the Customs made before that. They just come with a certificate and Custom Shop case.

My two lovely ladies...

[​IMG]

18. jjp

jjp Senior Member

Thanks for that. Yes, I have seen, and played a few of the custom shops. One of my best friends has a CS Black Beauty and his has mother of pearl inlays and the split trapazoid on the head stock. Mind you, one of the guitars that is featured on one of the ebay posts that I pasted above has trapezoid acrylic inlays, and it is a CS guitar(?). I have also played other CS LPs that had acrylic trapazoid inlays. So then, what is on the "custom" to distinguish it from, say a Standard?

19. Slashtone

Slashtone Member

The R7 Customs used to come with gold-plated metal tuners, but the newer models come with the plastic knobs. I'm not sure what year they made the switch, but I believe it was done recently.

Les Paul Customs have the split diamond headstock, whereas the Les Paul Standards have the Les Paul silkscreen signature on the headstock.

Les Paul Customs have block inlays on the fretboard; Les Paul Standards have trapezoid inlays on the fretboard.