1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Gibson Les Paul Custom serial # question...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jpage, Jan 26, 2012.

1. jpage

jpage Member

Found a great LP Custom today that I'm thinking about picking up tomorrow. I'm not 100% as far as these guitars--are there standard production LPCs? Historic RIs? The serial number is inked--not positive, but I want to say it was "7 0044". Is this a Historic RI or current production? Has a few dings, but nothing major--what's a good price?

2. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

That would be a Historic serial#. The 7 would indicate a '57 RI (humbuckers, as opposed to a '54 RI with one P-90, one Alnico).

3. jpage

jpage Member

Cool--so the inked serial numbers are Historics? Do the production line guitars gt stamped serial #s?

4. Dashface

Dashface Member

Production line ones have stamped serials, yes.