• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Questions

Guitarhero27

Just curious as to who has em (what year?) and how you like it. I'm thinking I may want one of these, I've played a few (although none recently) and haven't stopped thinking about how they sound and feel...especially ones with some dings I mean some character and vibe!

Also - if you could post pics, I'd love to see these baby's with the mini-humbuckers!

Thanks!

-Seth

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I used to have one, from the early seventies, bought it new, a very ordinary LP with brightish pups. Good neck and mixed tones, a bit harsh with the bridge only, not as clear as true single coils. Never thought of it as magic but it was much better than the early 70's Tele thinline that it replaced.

highrise

This is my '80 Deluxe. There's a Bill Lawerance L-500 in the bridge and some DiMarzio, that I'm gonna replace, in the neck spot.

Neck is a bit chunky...thinner, but similar to a Standard '50s neck nowadays.

No minihums...
Schallers stay in tune nicely...

I like it. It won't be leaving anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member
I'm a big fan of mini-hums, because they have plenty of trebly twang. A good "rock and roll" pickup. Pictured is my c.1975 with customized mid-'70s Earth "Revival" amp.

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks GH. I see a lot of '70s models for sale. Of course, some have the Norlin curse, but they're still good players. The reissues from the '90s and up may be better in some ways. For some reason, I don't see many of them for sale.

Mcclassic

I used to have 2, I sold one and keep the one that I love the tone the most, it has a bad refinish in natural but the tone on the front mini-humbuckers is way so bluesy...

Carlos Pérez

Just curious as to who has em (what year?) and how you like it. I'm thinking I may want one of these, I've played a few (although none recently) and haven't stopped thinking about how they sound and feel...especially ones with some dings I mean some character and vibe!

Also - if you could post pics, I'd love to see these baby's with the mini-humbuckers!

Thanks!

-Seth
A 1978 Black Gibson Les Paul Deluxe....with ebony fingerboard was my only guitar for 20+ years.
Sold it on eBay back in 2005.

Since then I have now several nice guitars including a 1990 Gibson Les Paul Standard, a Gibson by Orville Goldtop a Greco Les Paul Standard. But now I realize I really miss those humbuckers and tone response feel.
I have read so many bad reviews about the minihumbuckers sound, so I highly recommend you´d better try and play a Deluxe just to be sure It´s what are you looking for.

Carlos.

Goldtop. Doesn't stay in tune, a bit too bright for what I do.

Feels great tho. When it's on, it can cut through pretty much everything on stage.

HEAVY sucker. If you're looking for traditional LP sound, I don't think this is it, but for what it does it's great.

jgyn

I like mine. Minihums sound sharper and lighter than a regular humbucker, but still have a humbucker voice.

Last edited:

Telecaster62

Mine's a '71 Goldtop and I'm the original owner. It is fairly heavy at around 10 lbs but plays like butter. I really like the mini-hums, I'm primarily a Tele player and they sound like a Tele on steroids with much more Gibson type grind. I think if you are a P-90 or single coil player you will like the mini's pretty well but most full sized humbucker guys tend to find them too bright.

Bluesbuff

I had an early 70s, Deluxe and still have an 04 Goldtop that I replaced the minis with Lollar P90s. I love the necks on these guitars. The pancake body weighed a ton and the minis were a little bright for me, so that one is gone but it had the best action I've ever seen except for my college roomates late 60s LP custom. The Gold top sees A LOT of playing time. I was strongly considering buying another one of the recent vintage Deluxes and routing it out for humbuckers to replace my LP Standard, 50s neck, I like them so much. So far haven't found a good enough deal to justify the expense but if anyone has one and would like to trade for my standard ,which is currently at the luthier for new pickups (Rolph vintage pretender PAFs) I'm open to offers.

benjammin420

my friend had a deluxe made in the 90s that had 57s installed in it. it was the best playing sounding LP ive come in contact with, the neck was slim and smooth with impeccable action

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member
So what's the story on that amp?

You need to get a drummer that has one of these:

Jeff
Yeah, those would be a good match!

The Earth "Revival" amp series were poor man Fender tweed clones from the 1970s, similar to some '70s Peavey models. They had tweed-tolex 2x12 models, and 4x10 models like mine. I customized it with a Crate Palomino V32 chassis, 4 1970s Sunn speakers, blue sparkle tolex (recovered by Mojotone) and new grillecloth.

Smakutus

Yeah, those would be a good match!

The Earth "Revival" amp series were poor man Fender tweed clones from the 1970s, similar to some '70s Peavey models. They had tweed-tolex 2x12 models, and 4x10 models like mine. I customized it with a Crate Palomino V32 chassis, 4 1970s Sunn speakers, blue sparkle tolex (recovered by Mojotone) and new grillecloth.
I used to see a lot of those Earth "tweed" amps in pawn shops all over Michigan.

Thanks,
Jeff

HEY!YOU!

I used to have one, from the early seventies, bought it new, a very ordinary LP with brightish pups. Good neck and mixed tones, a bit harsh with the bridge only, not as clear as true single coils. Never thought of it as magic but it was much better than the early 70's Tele thinline that it replaced.
That's how I remember them.

tommc

I've got a cherry sunburst '75 Deluxe that has been 'under the bed' a lot in the last 33 years as I have been an off and on player. Thinking about selling it recently since my back is now also 33 years older and a little worse for wear. Took it to a vintage guitar dealer here in Houston and his comment was "Wow, you haven't played this much have you?" But then, it has some sentimental value since it's the same age as my daughter. I'll see if I get some pics in the next few days..

Trending Topics