Gibson Les Paul experts needed.

Brock

Silver Supporting Member
Not too long ago I posted a thread about myself buying a "Fake" Les Paul here: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/539585. Any way, I went into a local guitar loan shop and found this. Please tell me what I'm looking at. It has big binding in the cutaway. Serial number 674711. Any info would be great. There is a great story to go along with it.
70sgoldtop.jpg
[/IMG]
70sgoldtopheadstock.jpg
[/IMG]
70sgoldtopvolute.jpg
[/IMG]
70pancake.jpg
[/IMG]

Drew68

Silver Supporting Member
Looks legit to me. Lots of folks hogged out their Deluxes for full-sized humbuckers back in the day.

Chris Scott

Mid-late seventies Deluxe, complete with next-to-useless neck volute (they'll still break);)

If the neck's straight, no other issues, I'd be swooping that puppy up.

As we used to say, "there's a great guitar in there"...

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
Many Deluxes had the Mini-Humbuckers removed and the body re-routed for standard sized ones.

You can contact Gibson and they can give you the low down.

DANOCASTER

Silver Supporting Member
looks like a 70s Deluxe that's been modded w/ some gold hardware and full size humbuckers.

I've also read that one could "special order" the full size buckers - but only in FS ads where someone is trying to sell a guitar.

Regardless - these wouldn't be the orig pickups. The pickups that would have been "original" to a 70s LP are the "Patent Stamped" ones

how does it play / sound ?? That's what matters.. It looks like it ISN'T a fake to my eyes

Drew68

Silver Supporting Member
I just read that full size humbuckers were an option.

Some were factory installed. Many were not. Minihums were so undesirable back in the 70s that it's just as easy to find Deluxes with full size humbuckers as without. And because the route was covered by pickup rings, it didn't even take a skilled technician to do the work. I've seen holes in Deluxes widened using chisels and drill bits. With the pickups installed, you can't tell at all.

Brock

Silver Supporting Member
looks like a 70s Deluxe that's been modded w/ some gold hardware and full size humbuckers.

I've also read that one could "special order" the full size buckers - but only in FS ads where someone is trying to sell a guitar.

Regardless - these wouldn't be the orig pickups. The pickups that would have been "original" to a 70s LP are the "Patent Stamped" ones

how does it play / sound ?? That's what matters.. It looks like it ISN'T a fake to my eyes

It sounds great. Really full acoustically. Big neck also. How do you know the pickups are not original? Besides that most likely it can with minis?

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
The guitar had been modded, not a closet queen for sure. That said, if you like the sound and feel, and the price is right, buy and beat it to death, that's what is was made for.

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
I just read that full size humbuckers were an option.

I'll dig a little for you, but I don't think full sized came on the deluxe until after they got away from the pancake body @ late 76.

RedTiger

Some were factory installed. Many were not. Minihums were so undesirable back in the 70s that it's just as easy to find Deluxes with full size humbuckers as without. And because the route was covered by pickup rings, it didn't even take a skilled technician to do the work. I've seen holes in Deluxes widened using chisels and drill bits. With the pickups installed, you can't tell at all.

Same here, I've heard of Deluxe's with stock Humbuckers. In fact, I thought Ace Frehley's old Deluxe from his early years had stock Humbuckers. :confused:

Brock

Silver Supporting Member
I found this website http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial and about 2/3 down it said this:
1961-1969: 4,5 or 6 digit peghead stamped serial number for all models, no MADE IN USA stamped below.
1969-1975: 6 digit peghead stamped serial number, MADE IN USA stamped below.
1975-1977: tagged (decal) serial number, MADE IN USA below.
1977-present: 8 digit stamped serial number, MADE IN USA stamped below.

Looks like it may be a late 69' to late 70s. I seen a 1970 with no "Made in the USA" and a 71' with similar serial number but had a "Made in the USA."

RedTiger

I know about pancake bodies, but what's up with that seam? Is that normal? It looks like you could fit a credit card comfortably between the slabs of wood.

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
They made them like this in the mid 70's (after Norlin bought Gibson in 74 IIRC), I saw them new looking just like this although I daresay the bridge has been changed out with a later Nashville bridge.

The pancake body was to cut down on using bigger mahogany slabs for bodies (silly) since the cost more. They had another wood sandwiched in there, can't remember what.

Hey, if it's a good price, sounds good and has a big neck it sounds like it might work for you.

cmatthes

The pickups are not original. The gold hardware was added later, probably by some clever dude who was going for that "Solid Gold" thing.

As far as Deluxes with full-sized humbuckers, if that actually ever happened, it would be a helluva lot less frequently than I've seen it advertised on the Internet.

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
I found this website http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial and about 2/3 down it said this:
1961-1969: 4,5 or 6 digit peghead stamped serial number for all models, no MADE IN USA stamped below.
1969-1975: 6 digit peghead stamped serial number, MADE IN USA stamped below.
1975-1977: tagged (decal) serial number, MADE IN USA below.
1977-present: 8 digit stamped serial number, MADE IN USA stamped below.

Looks like it may be a late 69' to late 70s. I seen a 1970 with no "Made in the USA" and a 71' with similar serial number but had a "Made in the USA."

In 1969 there was no dot over the I in Gibson, the dot get you to 1970 or later

Trending Topics

Top Bottom