Gibson les paul faded..opinions??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by riffpowers, Feb 1, 2006.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I've seen a single cutaway les paul faded and a double cutaway lp faded both on cherry with p90's, a guitar lik ethat would fit the bill for me, cheap beater guitar with p90's.
    What are they like??

2. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

Some love em, others don't

Play one, sometimes the P-90's just knock my socks off, other times, they drive me crazy.

3. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Its the p90's that I like about it, I was wondering more about the finish/looks/build quality

4. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I played a couple of the doublecut juniors because the price was good. They look OK from faraway, but I think they look absolutely atrocious up close (are you old enough to remember wooden blocks with the yellow and red paint on them). And it did NOT feel right in my hands. I'd save up and keep an eye out for used non-faded juniors.

5. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Thats what I was asking for.....Basically I know someone who has a repaired and refinished special , the slightly older type with neck binding and p100s, probably for around the same price as a faded special, just weighing up the options.
    GASing for a junior now though, but they seem thin on theground in the UK.

6. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

I played a friend's Faded SG and the quality was totally sub-standard. My $129 Squier '51 had a better setup and overall workmanship.

7. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

I hate to say it, but my faded kinda sucks too.
    It just feels bad! I'm pretty rough with my guitars, not like Pete Townsend or anything, but I play pretty hard. None of my guitars (G&L, Fender, PRS, Schecter) have had any problems. The LP has a broken tone knob, bent volume knob, flakey pick up selecter, and all sorts of "quirks".
    Plus, the neck just feels terrible. It really looks like someone cut up a 2x4 from Home Depot, slapped some pickups and paint on it, and called it a guitar.
    I only paid $400 for it, but I still think it sucks.

My friend just got a G&L Tribute ASAT with P90s. Same price as my LP, but built like a tank. Rock solid, great guitar!

8. shblay

shblay Member

I have a faded les paul that has held up really well for me. I bought it back in 2002 I think. Have not had any major problems with it at all. I do have an issue with intonation but I bet a proper set up (and not my amatuer version of it) would fix that. I think like a lot of gibsons it's really hit or miss. I kinda got lucky with mine. It's been solid, neck feels good, electronics work find and no strange noises.

Mine is the HB version. Did'nt know there was a faded p-90 version of the single cut. I've only seen the P-90 version of the DC.

9. whitehall

whitehall Member

I had 2 Faded p-90 DC's. A red one and a yellow one. Like all P90's the pups are a little noisy but really sweet. GREAT beater guitar. I liked the yellow better than the red. Skinny neck though.

10. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Solid Gibson for a good $$. If you like the neck carve and pickups, what's the question again?

11. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Did they make an SG Special a couple of years back with P90's? I'm sure it wasn't faded. That was a really nice guitar with an attractive price tag!

12. B Vance

B Vance Member

I have a faded LP too. Much the same feelings about it. It was my first "real guitar" though. I had others before, but it was my first American guitar. I have kept it around as kinda a utility guitar. I had it set up high to try and learn slide and then tried to do the jazz thing with it. In the end, you get what you pay for, for sure. I am thinking very strongly about selling it in the near future.

13. Hendrix95

Hendrix95 Member

I'm not sure about the LP's but I tried a faded SG and it was one of the worst POS's I've played. It had sharp frets, poor pickups, and a half assed rough "finish" (or lack of finish). Also, the toggle switch was really loose and felt like it could fall off any second.

I haven't played a faded LP, but alot of people say they look good in pics, but up close they look kinda cheesy.

14. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I just can't get fired up about the finish.

They've got a faded version of the 335 that I thought might be a great way to go but I played at least 10 of them over a few months and just never felt like I would bond with it.

15. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I know what you mean. You expect just atleast a bit of luxury and flash from a Gibson. I don't like the faded's either. On the other hand the Fender highway one tele looks quite good with a similar finish. But teles deserve to look rough and get beaten about... or something...

16. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Play it first . I've played 8-10 of em in stores and the 2 that sounded good had awful fret jobs or necks that were straight on one side/iffy on the other .

Yellow is neater than red up close (IMO), and a wax job would pretty much cure the "blahs" . Almost bought an old unknown year? yellow Epiphone copy (with block inlays) that sounded fine , but it badly needed a re-fret and a new nut and the price was 500 and the guy wouldn't come down .