• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Gibson Les Paul Flametop '59 VOS vs. '59 Reissue vs. '59 Historic

vds5000

I've been interested in these guitars lately and was wondering what the preferences are of my fellow TGPr's and why.

Last edited:

vds5000

Believe it or not, no. I've always assumed that the '59 VOS and '59 Reissues were pretty much the same thing.

Brock

If you guitar center, VOS mean the latest and greatest Les Paul to be released from Gibson. If you ask TGP, it means dirty finish.

Kappy

I think they are all the same, the '59 is a historic reissue. The only possible difference is VOS finish, which is a dull finish that makes it look aged vs. the non VOS which is shiny. You can buff out VOS finish, so there's practically no difference. At a certain point, all VOS guitars were Plek'ed at the factory. Aside from that, I am not sure there's any difference. I'm not an expert though.

stubbyJ

Silver Supporting Member
The Pre-hisotrics were built by the Dinosaurs :rotflmao

Sorry, had to do it.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but after 99-2000 they are supposed to get more and more accurate.

The older 99-2000 units are supposed to have better wood used as these years were the come-back years, but the neck carves are a tad off the true 58. In 07 they were have supposed to nail he neck carve, but this is just what I've come to understand.

From all the necks I've felt, it seems that the necks are getting a tad smaller as well, but this could just be me.

Also, look at the fret markers on older units, they are black, while newer units are a tranparent red sorta thing.

No matter what axe you get, when it comes to Gibby's, if at all possible test it out and look at a buch, for many are iffy.

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
The Pre-hisotrics were built by the Dinosaurs :rotflmao

No matter what axe you get, when it comes to Gibby's, if at all possible test it out and look at a buch, for many are iffy.
Best advise you gonna get for sure!

Bluedawg

Ok, then where do the pre-Historic '59 reissues rank?

The "pre-historics" are generally attempts to build historically accurate LPs before '93 when the long neck tenon was introduced, although I remember them being refered to as historics about '91 or '92.

Here is a good list of the differences for each year and lots of discussion:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/finalframes/frameset.htm

"pre-historics" can also refer to some early 80s attempts to recreate the 50s guitars accurately.

Good guitars can be found in any of these years and you can also find a few dogs from every year ....

and your tastes may be such that you and I would not agree on which ones are good and which ones are bad.

TO the original question an LP Historic is the same thing as an LP Reissue. An LP VOS is a variation with slightly aged hardware and an aged finish, but no relicing (factory done scratches, cracks, wear, etc.).

Gloss finishes are still available for an upcharge.

:banana

Trending Topics

Top Bottom