Gibson Les Paul for blues

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hhawkins, Jan 28, 2015.

1. hhawkins

hhawkins Member

I mainly play a strat both in the house and live. But recently I tried my les Paul out one night at a gig when I was playing some blues standards and it just sounded kind of muddy. It definitely didn't cut through as well as the strat but I knew that wouldn't be the case anyway. I was playing through a fender twin and was using mild overdrive on occasions.

Anyone else have the same problem with les pauls?

2. Custom50

Custom50 Member

no, not at all. You have to EQ your amp differently though. Especially a fender. If I was using a strat or tele I'd have the bass on like 5-7, with a les paul I'd have it on 2. I find this is why Gibsons into Fenders can sound muddy.

3. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

The PAF style pickups are a different breed. But for blues, they're killer. Ask Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, to name a few. Then listen to Gary Moore, Dickey Betts, Duane Allman do some blues licks on their LPs. It can be done. Maybe your LP needs a check up or upgrade (pots/caps) to get you where the LP should be able to take you.

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Give a listen to Bloomfield on 'Super Sessions' for a prime example of a sweet, clear blues tone with a LP directly into a Fender Twin. The tunes 'Albert's Shuffle' and 'Really' are both prime examples. Doesn't get any better than that.

5. mango

mango Member

I'd suggest almost every amp would need to be eq'd differently when switching from a strat to a LP type guitar,no matter what genre was being played.

6. drpoyer

drpoyer Member

too many variable to cover... but I too was a strat guy and now play a lot of gibsons at gigs. The settings do not translate well, and certainly different amps work better for different guitars. My Two Rock is AMAZING with Single Coils... not so amazing with humbucers

Mud in a Gibson I have found is mostly in the pots. Having 500k pots and good caps makes a HUGE difference. The pickups themselves of course contribute. However most Gibson alnicos in the 8k range, in general, wont be the issue. However, hotter pickups in the neck regardless of the caps can be an issue. The Bridge Seems to be able to take more output for many. Some guitars just don't ring and resonate well. Often, but not always, these are dark sounding muddy guitars.

7. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

Oh no, you will discover the power of a LP after you do the suggestions listed above by everyone...

8. shane88

shane88 Member

9. Jan

Jan Member

Muddy, no. Blues without a Gibson is like … you know, wrong. + what others have said about caps and pots. Gibson has used excellent parts, crappy parts and many just okay parts.

10. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I've supplemented my strats with a couple of Les Pauls in the past year or two, and I find that its a difficult changeover. My LP's certainly sounded extremely muddy at first. Lots of experimentation with pickup settings and knob twiddling is needed to get the same kind of clarity from a LP. It's worth the effort though!

11. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

give your amp a touch more treble.

that's all there is to it, it ain't rocket surgery.

12. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

my ears hear the Hamer on Gary Moore recordings. les paul on the cover though

13. Dale

Dale Member

I agree with this. I have played humbuckers for decades. I can't get singles to sound pleasant to me.

14. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

The best tone I get on my Les Paul and 335 is when I have the pickup selector in the middle position. Then roll down one volume knob or the other to get more bass or treble.
    Twin Reverbs aren't a muddy sounding amp. I think you need to dial the bass down.

15. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

Gary Moore always had BIG problems when he tried playing the blues with a Les Paul...

16. David Garner

David Garner Member

Mine sounds harsh on the neck with everything on 10, but oddly if I roll off the neck tone a bit it gets clearer with more bite. I'd play with the volume and tone on the guitar a bit and see if that helps.

17. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

Les Paul on this one...

18. Bluesdaddy

Bluesdaddy Member

I play a Les Paul through a twin in a blues band. I have the bass down to 2, mids just above middle, treble on 7. I have no trouble with muddy sound at all. The LP is an R7 with stock burst buckers. I only use a tube screamer for effects. A lot of Times I'm on the middle position, neck position for the jazzy numbers. I find the twin and a Les Paul a great match .

19. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

yea, still got the blues album sounds like a hamer special to me. not on everything but I`de bet there was a hamer used on that album for sure

thanks for posting the clip! Awesome

20. rummy

rummy Member

Lower your gain for LP.