Gibson Les Paul Historic Chambered vs. Non-Chambered

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 900, Jan 25, 2008.

1. 900

900 Member

I was just checking out Wildwood's Gibson pages/selection (WOW). Since I can't compare those models locally, I would like to hear some opinions how the chambered models sound like. Genuine LP sound with less weight, or does the chambered body make them sound different than the solid models?

2. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Historics are already gonna be around or below 9 pounds so they aren't that heavey. Chambered Historics also cost more.

As far as how they sound, you'll probably get 20 different answers. I'd say stick to the regular solidbodies.

Brian j likes this.
  3. chunkwedge

chunkwedge Member

Like many, I have owned both. They are different from each other in a subtle way. You may or may not like the difference. I clearly do like the difference as I now have two cloud 9 guitars from 2004 - a CR9 and CR6. To my ears the chambered models sound a little more warm and resonant but also a little more clarity. Unfortunately there really is no substitute for doing the comparison yourself. Either way, both are great guitars!
    Good luck in your quest.

4. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

A few people actually think the chambered LPs sound closer to the 50s guitars, others like the solid LPs better.

I like them both.

The guitars vary so you can find chambered versions that sound like a solid one and then you will find some that definately sound chambered. In my experience the differences are subtle enough that you would have to be in a quiet room with a few examples of each to really tell the difference. I doubt any listeners can tell the difference if your playing one in a band either live or on a recording.

If weight is important to you I say go with the chambered.

Ideally play as many LPs as you can get your hands on and buy what you like.

If you have the cash buy one of each. :D

Good Luck

:munch

5. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus Senior Member

i'd say get a solidbody LP before they go the way of the dodo

6. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

If you just want a great Les Paul then get the regular solid body. You'll always wonder otherwise. I'd be torn myself! I think sometimes I'd go for the solid and then sometimes I think I'd like the hollow. Being a semi-acoustic lover I'd probably go chambered. I played one recently and it seemed to have a bit better low-string definition which I like. It may not have had quite the thump and chunk but it was close enough for me! It's not a huge difference.

7. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

'zackly...

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thirded. Z. speaks the Truth.

Plenty still around right now - I still don't buy guitars by the pound.

Best, Pete.

9. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I briefly considered a Chambered R8. I found one with an amazing top and almost pulled the trigger till I realized that the thought of a hollowed out Les Paul would bother me down the road. In the end I found an 8 lb 12 oz 07 R9 with a beautiful top and it's everything I've ever wanted in a Les Paul. The Chambered R8 I had been considering was only a half a pound lighter. In my case I'm very pleased with the decision I made to not get the Chambered R8.

10. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Personally, I'd search for the right solid-bodied instrument. If you look around enough you can find a solid body Les Paul that isn't significantly heavier than a chambered Les Paul. As for their sound, you'd really have to listen closely to hear a difference (it does exist), and some/much of the difference you'd hear could just as well be attributed to variation from instrument to instrument on both sides as chambered vs solid-bodied. I don't think the difference is THAT pronounced.
    Now, while both are great sounding instruments, to me there's something appealing about finding an instrument made with such high-quality mahogany that it produces a resonant, sweet-sounding, toneful instrument that needs no chambering (and thus kinda built the old fashioned way) to be light in weight. Les Pauls that contain those qualities are around, but in diminishing quantities as the availability of mahogany of that quality decreases. I think chambered is the wave of the future if you want a lighter weight Les Paul. As for the lighter weight solid-bodied ones - "git 'em while the gittin's good...."

jb

11. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Personally, I'd look into the Yamano bound Les Paul's. Gibson put a little more thought and consideration into those guitars and in my case, it's very evident in tone, feel, and quality of the guitar. I've played a lot of LP RI's over the years and none of them have felt, looked, or sounded as good as my Yamano intended 07 R9. Really good Les Paul's are out there, you just have to search for them.

12. waynesmith

waynesmith Member

I own both solid and chambered cloud9 Les Pauls and both are great instruments. My 06 R9 is 8lbs 10oz and my cloud9 R8's are 7lbs 5oz of pure tone. It's all a matter of personal preference, I love them both. My new 07 cloud9 is killer, it's my #1....
    [​IMG]

13. James

James Member

Wayne, that Cloud 9 is SWEET! Gah!

I have two Cloud 9's - a goldtop and a flametop. They're easily the best sounding and best playing guitars I've ever owned. I love the weight. The tone is sweeter and chime-ier (is that a word?) than the solid-body Historics I've owned. I love 'em. A 7lb Les Paul is a beautiful thing, in my opinion.

James

14. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

look for a nice used Heritage H 140...all the tone and a lot less weight

15. cffluntouch

cffluntouch Gold Supporting Member

I have had many of both and currently have one of each. I think James and Chunkwedge have nailed the characteristics. They both sound outstanding but I prefer to gig with the Cloud 9 because of the weight (and a split coil feature for versatility). You need to play them because the differences are subtle, but you want to make sure you are happy.

16. 900

900 Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. General consensus seems to be - both are/can be great, but preferably a solid one for the more traditional LP enthusiast.

17. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

One of the main reasons I pick a Historic or Reissue is because most of them are decent wood and one piece solid bodies just like the high quality originals. :hiP

18. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I always prefer the Historic RI stuff when it comes to LPs.

As far as chambered bodies, it does sound cool and the concept is even cooler, but to me not a traditional LP tone or feel that I'm used to.

I use to have a LP Elegant and it was a really cool guitar. I just couldn't get use to the change in resonance and some what "softer" attack. It wasn't quit as percussive and didn't have the beef of my solid RI LPs. I ended up selling it.

I had similar experiences with other chambered stuff I've played including the Supreme.