Gibson Les Paul Jr vs. Fender 72 Deluxe Tele.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kc_hubbs, Mar 21, 2015.

1. kc_hubbs

kc_hubbs Member

So, im going to order one of these, and im still undecided. Can anyone offer any help ? Build quality or anything info.

Id pretty much want to play a wide variety of stuff with it.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have Both I would say the Tele would cover more territory.

3. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Bolt on vs. set neck. Two humbuckers vs. one P-90. Short vs. long scale. Maple board vs. rosewood. MIM vs. USA. I suppose other than that, they're exactly the same. Seriously, they're such different guitars that l would base a choice between them on the type of music l intended to use them for.

4. BK Verbs

BK Verbs Gold Supporting Member

I'd say you will find the Tele a bit more versatile. I'm not personally wild about the stock wide range pickups, but it is probably more flexible.

I have a very nice Jr. myself. With time you can a lot out of it. Much of ithe magic is in your hands and pick attack, the rest is in the tone knob. It will expose your playing, there is little space to hide on a Jr. but nothing rocks like a Gibson P90. They certainly are a lot of fun.

Hope that helps a little.

5. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

They are both excellent guitars, so you can't go wrong.

I've been playing about 50 years, and first played a Les Paul Junior about 10 years ago. My playing improved a lot within the first few months with the LPJ.

Having only one pickup, the LPJ presents a challenge by making playing technique a major part of tone control. Intensity and angle of string attack, the point where you hit the strings, and playing ingenuity are tools that work sort of like a second tone knob, and the LPJ is the perfect guitar to develop them. It also helps make the player more aware of the importance of using the tone and volume knobs effectively.

On top of these things, there's something about playing an LPJ that makes it pure, unadulterated fun to play.

Good luck with your choice!

6. sliberty

sliberty Member

The new LP Juniors are chock filled with terrible new features, like all of the 2015 Les Paul's. I love Juniors, but can't recommend the new one. Used would be a better option.

As for Telescope, I love them too, but with regular Tele pickups.

7. kc_hubbs

kc_hubbs Member

I wish i would have been able to add more to my post before hand, but i was in a little bit of a rush.

Whatever guitar i decide on will be bought new, because it is being bought as a gift for me.

I really liked the LPJ due it having a p90. I have always been a fan of that pickup, but I have never owned a guitar with one of them in it.

As far as the tele, ive played the 72 deluxe before, and i really love the sound of it.

As of now, Here is what i own. Would the LPJ be a good, and different addition ?

Fender Jaguar Classic Player
    Fender Jazzmaster Classic Player
    Epiphone Sheraon ii
    Dean Dixie Rebel
    Dean Razorback
    Peavey Rotor EXP.

8. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

Here's my 2 cents, check out a Squier Custom II Tele! It's one of, if not the best dual P90 guitar out there. Great build quality and you can get some awesome tones out of her. Just saying, Imho

9. sliberty

sliberty Member

I love P90's - they are by far my favorite pickup. BUT....

2015 Les Pauls (including Juniors) have horrible neck profiles, wider than normal nut widths, and those ridiculous robotic tuners. Gibson has ruined the Les Paul line in 2015, and P90 or no P90, I wouldn't touch one.

Consider Les Paul Junior alternatives if it has to be a new guitar. PRS SE Soapbar (two pickup, more like a Special really), Godin (several models), and even Epiphone would be better choices.

10. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

l own a '72 Deluxe ri. l love it. I've owned LPJ's. l loved them. Here's what l use if l'm looking to combine the qualities of both:

[​IMG]

11. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

I love my Telecaster Deluxe RI. As much as I love my Les Paul 60's tribute with P90s, the scale length on the Telecaster Deluxe RI will always win the day. Love that guitar.

12. kc_hubbs

kc_hubbs Member

The longer scale really means a lot to me.

Ive played the 72 quite a few times, and i really enjoy it. I just really love the simplicity of the LPJ, and the aesthetics of it.

I just want something that will be a departure from my jaguar, jazzmaster, and sheraton ii

13. LanEvo

LanEvo Member

I strongly prefer the feel and tone of the Les Paul Junior. I've owned a few from an original '56 single-cut to modern Gibson Custom Shop stuff. They've all been great. I strongly favor wrap-tail bridges and '50s neck profiles, but that's all down to personal preference.

The trick with a P90-equipped Junior is to install a vintage-style, low-output pickup and rewire to '50s spec. That really opens up the sound tremendously; it lets you get more shimmery highs (almost like an Esquire) if you want them. With high-output pickup and modern wiring, it's kind of a one-trick pony: all brash mids and a little compressed sounding.

14. Willicat

Willicat Member

One or the other is a tough question.

You play blues, rock or country?
    Jr vs Tele, two extremely different tools in the tool shed.

Jr screams balls out rock and heavy blues, think Leslie West, Mississippi Queen.

Tele covers a lot of ground but also is a country staple.

The new 2015 Les Paul Jr's while people take shots at it, is an excellent guitar. Played one several times, not a fan of the automatic tuners but i really didn't give that part a fair shot either. It's on my radar

15. kc_hubbs

kc_hubbs Member

The guitars being very different tools is what made it so hard to choose.

After about 20 hours of reading reviews, and listening to sound clips, i decided to just buy a 2014 Gibson SG Standard. I know that wasnt even one of the choices, but i figured that i already own 2 fender guitars, i should branch out a little bit.

However, as soon as I get a little money saved up again, I will be buying the LP Jr. I cant deny the amazing sound of the p90. I will probably try to look for an older model however.

Thanks for everyones advice. It really does mean a lot.

16. orourke

orourke Member

Gibson neck scale is 24 ¾. It's easier to bend stings and have a dark looser tone.

Fender neck scale is 25 ½. It will be tighter and snappier, it will cut more.

You should really play these guitars before buying so you can find out what you like.

17. kc_hubbs

kc_hubbs Member

I totally agree with you about playing them before hand. The closest music shop near me, is about 3.5 hours. I cant really easily test out these guitars.

I have played the 72 several times at a friends house, and i really loved it. As far as a Gibson, all ive ever touched is my old SG Faded.

18. sliberty

sliberty Member

Dude, time to move closer to civilization :rotflmao