Gibson Les Paul Jr.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teleking36, Dec 27, 2005.

1. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I've been curious to see how the recent LP juniors sound. They're going for around $649 on MF and the like, and I was wondering if it was worth trying out. I love P90 equipped guitars, and the simplicity of this gibby with the one P90/vol/tone is really pulling me in. Anyone had any experience with these newer jrs? I'm not really interested in the vintage juniors, as I don't really have the cash for those babies.

2. 1955Junior

1955Junior Silver Supporting Member

I have never played one of the $649 LP Juniors you are referring to, but I have seen pics. of the guitar in the latest MF catalogue. I imagine they are pretty good for the money - at least they're made in USA.

My sweet wife gave me one the best Christmas presents ever. I was like a little kid on Christmas morning when I opened the case to a new 1957 LP Jr Historic (single cut - sunburst). I spent the last two days comparing it to the two original 1955 LP Juniors I have owned for over 25 years. I must say that the new Historic Junior compares very favorably to the vintage models in tone, and the playability is a little better (IMO) because of the larger frets. I have owned at least 15 vintage 50s LP Jrs, and I would put the Historic up against all of them. You might want to check out one of the Historic Juniors. Although they cost more than the regular production models-like the ones MF is advertising for $649-I am sure the overall quality and tone is much better. I will be interested to hear if anyone has experience with the regular production Juniors, and how they compare to the original 50s and Historic models.

Good luck!

3. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

I have played a couple of the "faded" Gibsons and they are OK from what I can tell in a few minutes. I'm not sure what your budget is but I was at Wolfe Guitars and played an H-137 which is the single cut 2 - P90 mahogany body and neck that Jay orders with Lollars and it was a killer. I does cost maybe twice what the Gibby will set you back, but the nitro is smooth and beautiful compared to the faded thing. I believe it had a wraparound bridge by Pigtail that you could intonate each string. Sperzels are standard too. Jay said he had some of the single pickup model ordered and they will be in the $1200 range. I'm waiting on that.

4. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Man, that's CHEAP for a USA made axe. How bad could it be?

5. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

Can you get a decent size neck on the H-137?

6. whoofnagle

whoofnagle Member

I have one. It is a great player for the price and sounds even better since
    I threw in a lollar!!

Bill

7. Luke V

Luke V Member

I love mine. I got it about a month ago. I've owned several real ones, though that was a long time ago. I was pleasantly surprised by the MF version. They just have the 'lp jr' attitude. The p90 sounds way better than I expected. By the way the price just got raised to $769, in my new catalog. I figured if I didn't like it, I could sell it without taking a big hit, but for me, it's a keeper.

8. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I had one of the MF Juniors two years ago. It was a cool guitar, especially for the price. I now own a Historic Special single cut and have to say the Historic is worth the extra money, to me at least. The neck on the Junior I had (and the couple of others I've tried) was very flat on back and was cut like the neck on a Les Paul Classic, if you've ever tried one of them. The Historic has the nice rounded 50's neck carve, which I much prefer. With the Historic you also get a one piece body (every MF Junior I've seen was two or three piece), long neck tenon, true to vintage tuners, lightweight alluminum tailpiece, holly peghead overlay, CTS pots and Bumblebee caps. Also a hard case, while the MF Junior comes with a gig bag. But like I said above, the MF Junior is a great deal for the price.

9. sears

sears Member

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but the neck joint on the Junior is different than a regular Les Paul and therefore is not a difference between standard and historic.

I have a historic 57 just like OT, and I shopped around a lot, and mine is right there in value for the money. It is a good deal, right in between the vintage and the MF juniors. I got it for the huge neck, which is even more stable then the production one (which is just fine).

10. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

According to the Gibson web page for the Historic Junior it has "1-piece mahogany neck w/long neck tenon". So it would seem to me that just like on the regular Les Paul Historics the tenon on the Junior and Special single cuts goes further up into the body for a better tonal connection.

11. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I have no complaints with mine. Set-up was great. No finish flaws. Plays and sound like a LP Jr. I have no buyer's remorse.