Gibson les paul junior...is 1 pickup enough??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by riffpowers, Jan 27, 2006.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

In my quest for another p90 guitar I've seen a nice looking Gibson les paul junior.
    Its the classic 50's sunburst 1 dogear type.
    I've never owned a 1 pickup guitar before, I just wondered how people are finding them versatility wise??
    I don't use the neck pickup a whole lot, but I do use it for quietish clean to loud crunchy bits in somgs by tunring the neck pickup down a bit and switching between that and the bridge.
    I just wondered if I would miss having 2 pickups, or wether any users out there find that 1 pickup is enough??
    This will be my main practice/gig guitar i I decide to go for it.

2. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

If you don't mind working your volume and tone pots, I think one pickup is plenty. I only have a one P-90 guitar and it can be jazzy, midrange snarly and all points in between.

3. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Yeah I wondered about that, I might try using 1 pickup on my p90 louded lp custom and see how I manage.

4. Timmo

Timmo Member

Hmm.
    I would ask Leslie West, Keith Richards.................etc., etc., etc. :BEER

5. HHB

HHB Member

no worries! the single dogear can really cover some sonic territory

6. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

If you don't mind spending a little more money, you can really add some versatility to the tone knob of a Junior - try the Stellartone ToneStyler pot. It's a tone knob that reduces treble without affecting midrange throughout most of its sweep (14 different settings).

I have one on my Les Paul Special's bridge P90. At the extreme lowest setting, it can sound like a neck pickup and achieve "woman tone," something a bridge-only P90 can't quite do.

7. SFK

SFK Member

I agree. One of my favorite semi clean sounds is my Jr with the volume rolled back.

As mentioned above there are tons of different options within the volume and tone controls.

My all time favorite rock guitar.

[​IMG]

8. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I think I could be happy with a Les Paul Junior.

9. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I'm getting tempted now..theres something that I like about the stripped down attitude of the junior...if I can get by with 1 pu then I might well get it.

10. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

I have a LP Special, and only use the bridge. So you will be fine.

11. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I suppose I motly use the bridge, but I wonder if I'd miss not having the neck pickup..

The one I'm looking at is a historic in sunburst, look sthe same as the ones leslie west plays all the time.
    Any idea of value??Would you go for it if you were me??

12. whoofnagle

whoofnagle Member

They sound huge. I threw a lollar in mind and it sounds even better. It covers all sorts of ground. Honestly, I am amazed at how much just rolling back and forth on the tone does to the sound.

Bill

13. Luke V

Luke V Member

I love my LP jr, but I must disagree with the others. After a year of playing with one pickup, you'll be wanting more versatility. It's a great guitar to have in your arsenal, but I would't want it to be my only guitar. A bridge pickup cannot do what a neck pickup can, no how no way.

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I use a Snarling Dogs VeryTone pedal to achieve the same effect with my P90 guitars. This works rather well. The second half of this clip uses it for the lead sound while the rhythm track uses the same guitar plain.

15. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Sometimes (a lot of times) one sound is all you need. Your technique can do the rest.

Also, I've heard and read a number of discussions about the benefits of having 1 pickup in a guitar. Apparently, less magnetic pull on the strings has an affect on tone that some people consider a benefit.

Nice guitar btw! :)

16. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

If you wanna great value, look at the Hamer Korina Jr. It's no less $$ than a Gibson Historic, but it's Korina, which is an incredible wood, especially for this model as it adds so much in the way of overtones and resonance. The build quality on these babys is second to none. And I agree with all others here...you can get a surprising range of tones out of these guitars. It's a lot of fun to play, as you learn all kinds of new ways (guitar/pedal/amp settings) to find 'that tone' with the one pickup, and you can almost always find it. AC

17. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I never really switch between pickups anyway. I either set my amp up for a neck pickup tone or a bridge pickup tone. I've never found it possible to get a good balance for overdriven tones so that I could switch between bridge and neck and like both sounds. I recently owned a Junior, and it having 1 P-90 was not the reason I sold it at all. It sounded incredible, but the thin mahogany neck was very soft and very unstable and it was very easy to pull chords out of tune by flexing the neck.

18. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I think 1 pickup could easily do it. When I think about how much time my tele spends on the bridge setting I could probably rip out the neck pickup and I would never notice. I think the only time I use the neck pickup is when I'm at home playing alone. The only neck pickup sound that I really like with the guitars I own is the strat.

19. BNB

BNB Silver Supporting Member

The Junior is my all time favorite. Its simplicity is outstanding. And, they are truly ferocious sounding.

There is a reason why Keith Richards, Leslie West, Johnny Thunders and Joe Perry play/played them.

The one dogear PU, and its placement on the Junior, works very well. And, using the tone and volume knobs will get you all the versatility you need, imo.

Good luck!

20. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I have one, 1 pickup guitar. I find that it's a pain in the ass to roll off the volume and compensate for tone to approximate what I did with a flip of the pickup selector switch. I'm using a single channel amp, so any major changes in volume and tone are done via the guitar. Most of the songs we've written have my choice in guitars in mind when the song was written...