Gibson Les Paul Junior

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by leviathan, Dec 17, 2009.

1. leviathan

leviathan Member

I was thinking about picking up a Gibson Les Paul junior from musicians friend there about $850. I was wondering what you all thought about this guitar, the quality of them and pickup. Is there a better option out there around the same price? Thanks guys.

2. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Yes, buying a used LP jr. not from MF. You'll get more for your money.

3. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

If I were you , I would , look at other options , used , other brands that would get you way more for you money . Look for a Robin Avalon sport one pickup model, a used Giffin T . Theres a very cool , dont laugh, Agile one pickup Gold top LP 3100 model on Rondo music. They are more than decent guitars and pretty cool

This is my Robin , you can get a used one at a great price maybe a bit more or less than the junior but way worth it , great guitar , no its not FS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is sold out but I want one

file:///Users/edwarddavis/Downloads/Agile%20AL-3100%20Gold%201%20X%20P90%20at%20RondoMusic.com.webarchive

4. aidan7737

aidan7737 Member

I recently had this same conundrum. Ended up pulling the trigger as they are so cheap for a US made guitar (we are in Aus here). I was after an axe to compliment my teles and the inertia behind the sound of a solid slab of mahogany was enough to do it. For me, the Gibson P-90 is plenty good. Can twang and growl, but I have little experience with P-90s so may upgrade to a Lollar in the future. The guitar looks similar to the one above, dog ear pick up and a few more bits of wood. All up very happy with the Gibson LP Junior.

5. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

My local shop has a demo in sunburst for $599. Also has a cherry, brand new, for $699.

6. Tompski

Tompski Silver Supporting Member

7. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

With the amount of way cool cheap guitars out there you have some pretty cool choices that would take very little to make them in to a great guitar .

8. JefeMaximo

JefeMaximo Huge Member Silver Supporting Member

Blatant plug: I have a Custom Shop '57 reissue Junior (TV Yellow) for sale in the Emporium.

9. Last

Last Member

The reissue Juniors are almost a completely different guitar when compared to the regular LP Jrs.

The Historics are a one piece Mahogany whereas the regular USA Jr. is a multi-piece body. I've seen up to 5, yes 5 pieces. Yikes! And they can weigh a ton (again compared to the Historic line).

I've owned a bunch of Juniors (my favorite guitar) & I keep going back the the Historic '57.

Costs about double but well worth it IMO.

10. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I bought one from MF a few years ago. It plays well and sounds good in spite of the multi-piece body. I like mine quite a bit. Would I rather have a CS model? You betcha ya, but I have a few other guitars to get before I upgrade to a CS model.

11. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

That Avalon is quite nice!! :rockin

12. sears

sears Member

Can we talk about the distance from the P90 to the bridge? That Robin gets it about "right," meaning the distance I see on most Gibson Juniors. Every now and then, you see a Gibson with the pickup visibly farther away from the bridge, and you see it on a lot of the clones.

I like the diagonal of the non-intonated stopbar, close to the P90. Otherwise it looks wrong to me. Has anyone noticed the same thing, and actually played a junior-ish guitar with the pickup farther away, and felt it made a difference?

13. Amp360

Amp360 Senior Member

A couple years back you could get the singlecuts with a nitro finish brand new for $750 and the SG (from MF) Junior for the same price.

The new one has that cheapo finish and costs more. I would look for a used one.

14. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

A Junior is a GREAT guitar for your arsenal. If you consider going the used route an Orville (MIJ) is a fine option & value. I have not played the newest Gibson standard Juniors, but thought the prior run (with nitro finish) were cool. The Epi 57 RI Custom Shop are nice guitars for the $ also. If you want to spend Custom Shop money, you'll get the top of the line... lots of options to choose from depending on your budget!