Gibson Les Paul LPM

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by seanseanhd, Apr 20, 2015.

1. seanseanhd

seanseanhd Member

I am looking at the Gibson LPM in Trans ebony any opinions does anybody have one and or played one give me your thoughts and reviews please.
    Second option was epiphhone traditional plus top pro Not sure if the Gibson is good enough to justify the $499 to $1200 price jump

2. Valtyr

Valtyr Member

I tried one, didn't like it much due to the fact that they increased the neck width for 2015. I have small hands so the increase was probably more noticeable to me than other players.

The overall quality seemed fine, didn't notice any issues/defects. I don't care for the signature or the hologram but neither of those things would stop me. I'd probably purchase something pre 2015, there are probably 2014s still in stock if you dig around a little.

3. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

I played a Heritage Cherry (bright orange in person) LPM in the store about a month ago. I loved it. That's the one I would get if I didn't already have a LP. Most here won't recommend this guitar.

Fit and finish looked to be perfect. Liked the 'robo-tuners', thought the zero fret nut looked cool and functional, loved the satin finish on the hardware. The zebra pickups sounded bright and clear. Neck felt a little wider than 'normal' but I got used to it quickly. To me, the cheapest USA made LP is a NICE LP.

I haven't played that Epiphone you mentioned. For the price, (500 vs 1150 or whatever) the Epi is probably a better value...I just can't stand the Epi headstock on LP guitars and would pay extra for the LPM.

4. seanseanhd

seanseanhd Member

Thanks for the opinions. Guess i need to go play the LPM and see for myself.

5. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

What does the "M" stand for in LPM?

6. Jash0508

Jash0508 Member

I believe the M stands for maple as the neck is maple although the fingerboard is rosewood.

7. dubdub

dubdub Member

Fyi, there's a lot Gibson guys here so you might get a lot of "...get the Gibby, screw epi..." responses, always happens on this forum. Except if its a 2015 Gibson, this forum hates 2015 Gibsons haha.

Anyways, I have one of these, remember these LPJs, LPMs are "budget" guitars and my opinions on it are based on what I need out of a guitar.
    [​IMG]
    Mine is a 2014 LPJ which is the same as the 2014 LPM just without the robot tuners. The 2014 and 2015 LPM are basically the same and sound the same to me(minus a few tweaks, nut,and spacing). They have the same 61" Zebra pickups. I didn't find the wider nut to be a big deal and barely even noticed until someone told me. Pricing wise you can find 2014's for $500-600, half of what a 2015 costs. Would I buy a 2015 when a 2014, which is basically the same guitar, is half the price? Hell no...(<-- theres the 2015 hate :D), I paid $600 for my 2014 with case, these guitars are not worth anywhere near $1,200. That money can be better spent somewhere else honestly. I've spent a good amount of time with mine and I can honestly say that these low end Gibson guitars should realistically be around $300-$400 new. They are simply barebones guitars, all the extra money that they charge is from brand prestige. If that prestige is what you want then your gonna have to pay extra even for a "budget" guitar. Does prestige make it a better guitar than other guitars? Hell no, however you may have to learn that on your own.

What I can tell you about the sound is that these 61 zebra equipped guitars are "rock" guitars, those pickups are "crunch" pickups. I have no idea what kind of music you will use it for, but don't expect to get a nice clean tone out of these guitars in their stock setup. Its not the best choice for fast clean rhythms that I need, its muddies up fast and there is no coil tap option to help clean out the muddiness. Listen to this at the 1:45 mark, this is what mine sounds like on clean settings, so you can imagine how it sounds with a fast rhythm.

The neck? Feels really good... for me.This is something you have to try for your self, there is no substitute, no one has your hands. I personally like thick necks and as most Gibsons it has a vintage acoustic neck feel, which again is just my preference. Wait what this? An actual vintage Gibson for only a few hundred more than a 2015 LPM? hmmm ....
    https://reverb.com/item/698-gibson-l-30-archtop-signed-by-the-everly-brothers-1930s
    :horse ? ok, ok enough about it being over priced, haha

So now what about Epi? There's a lot of models in the $250-$700 range starting used, so what your going to have to look at is what pickups suite your music. If you must have Gibson pickups, some Epi's come with Gibson pickups already installed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you are comfortable changing pickups, or even changing pots, then the sky is the limit! I would get a used Epi custom and then put whatever pickups you want and still be under $500. For instance I found a Pelham Blue Epi Custom and slapped some dimarzios in it, all for under $500. Yea its more work, but once you know what your doing its not such a big deal.

I'm the opposite I cant stand the plain jane gibson headstock, every time i look at it, i want to draw binding on it lol
    Here's my gibby, too plain imo
    [​IMG]

Here's one of my epi's, I'll take this one over plain jane anyday(thats just me though)
    [​IMG]

I definitely do not like the retardo lp sig headstock
    [​IMG]
    no joke on that one, I would actually sand that away and make my own logo...

8. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Get a used LPJ for $500 - $600

9. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

Thank you :aok

10. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

I really like these. I just did layaway 699 at GC. I've been waiting for them to drop and perhaps it had a ding making it cheaper. Hopefully the zero fret last as I like the feel of the action. I'll give the robo tuners a shot but have no problem replacing them. I really like the neck profile and can play fast all over fretboard. I've been wanting a maple neck Paul too. I've just been looking for a road dog touring Lp that I don't have to worry about and this fit the bill. The 2014 models have that faded finish and the 2015s have nice nitro.

11. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

I love the 2015s. Great guitars. Enjoy.

12. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

Besides the obvious stuff that everyone hates I really dig how the wide necks low frets and action feel which is not traditional

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  13. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

Got it. Plays great but super bright so 1st I'll try pickup swap. GForce tuners will probably go. I like how it feels and plays so I'll start swapping parts out like I do with most les Paul's until it feels right

14. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

Eek circuit board which I guess is standard. I lowered pickup and seemed to help. I'll have to get some of those connectors for pickup swaps

15. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

Hogwash. The '61s are about 7.8k of 42ga wire and A5 magnet bridge, 7.2k of ditto in the neck, hardly "crunch" pickups. I left the '61 bridge in mine but I have to use a .001uf tone cap rolled way down to make it not-searingly bright, and with that cap it sounds amazing. These are definitely worthy clean tone pickups, not overwound at all.

The 2013 LPJs came with a plastic covered 490/498T combination, which I find perfectly acceptable and left mine stock. The 498T IS a crunch pickup at just under 14k of 43 ga wire and A5 mag, very similar to the Duncan Custom 5, but still can do decent cleans.

All that said, the LPJs/LPMs were fantastic values, I bought 4 of them and I love every one. I also have much more expensive LPs and they are every bit as fun to play, the fretwork on all mine is outstanding (and I'm a picky guitar tech, I don't say that lightly), and they sound great with the super thin finish that doesn't dampen wood resonance, and the maple neck (which I always scoffed at on a LP before having one and thoroughly enjoy now).

I just saw one *not sell* on ebay for $425 with a bag, tuner, cable, in great condition. WHAT???? That's less than an Epiphone for a really good LP that just doesn't have a thick finish (good IMO) or bling. They are IN NO WAY other than bling less of a LP than their more expensive counterparts. If you don't have one, get one.

Edit: Oh yeah, and to reply to the big post above, Epiphones *in no way* compare to the quality of the fret/fretboard work on these. Not even in the ballpark. Nothing in the same price category comes anywhere close. I set up and work on SO MANY damn guitars every year, and damn near every one of them needs moderate to severe fretwork to play worth a **** right from the factory. That is not true on the vast majority of USA Nashville Gibsons made since about 2012. If I can find a guitar I paid $600 new for and all it needs is a setup and NO fretwork to play at my standard .0375" 14th fret action height, that, my friends, is a GD steal.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    dubdub and Rod like this.
  16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Well said Ray... He said it all. Buy the Gibson.... Their thin finish guitars sound wonderful..I have a 50's tribute LP with the same finish and appointments.. Killer LP which sell for under $700 used that sounds as good as my old 58 reissue did, maybe better..
    All the Epis are basically sealed for life with their thick poly finishes. It will never age and sound any better 50 years from now than it does now. They also use plywood, oh excuse me, veneer tops with crap "mahogany".. Again, if you're into tone, buy the basic Gibson, if you're into bling shiny lookin stuff with fairly miserable electronics and substandard wood, buy the epi...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  17. dubdub

dubdub Member

Oh yea I forgot ....Epiphone hate is strong in these forums....

18. dubdub

dubdub Member

That's nice that you have all the numbers down, but I posted a video of exactly what mine sounds like.....and yet your gonna say that I'm wrong...lol ok. Maybe I should contact the owner of that video and tell him that his video is wrong, that's not what an LPJ sounds like....The point is , if I play a fast rumba rhythm with that tone, it sounds terrible. If I play rhythm for a punk song it sounds perfect. Its a good tool to have for the right music. I'm not gonna get rid of it, I would never pay $1500 for it though, which is what the OP asked for.

Also not trying to troll you, but my LPJ needed fretwork when I bought it, my Lee Malia didn't, lol.

And one final thing, do you do setups on your own or do you work for a guitar shop? If you do it on your own, how is business, and how do you advertise to get clients?

19. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

Yeah the 61 pickup is weak maybe I'll try the tone cap swap. The fretwork is crazy good plek too. The 2015 has full nitro finish too

20. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I prefer the LPJ because I don't want [or want to pay for] robot tuners, and I don't like the wider fretboard. That being said, I LOVE the LPJ's and one of my #1. I'm literally playing through the finish is several spots.

[​IMG]

dubdub likes this.