Gibson Les Paul Pickup Recommendations

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ronmail65, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

I have a 1978 LP Custom that has been significantly modified. It currently has 2 Gibson Burstbucker III zebra pickups. I don't care for the Burstbucker tone and I'd like to replace the bridge pickup with another zebra style pickup. I'm looking for something that sounds similar to a Les Paul Standard stock pickup -- warm and punchy.

2. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

Wagner Goodwoods.

3. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

Wagner Darkbursts!

4. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Duncan Seth Lovers are pretty nice also.

5. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

7. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

There are as many answers as there are people who make pickups. Question is, which Les Paul sound do you seek?

Does Gibson make the 57 classics in zebra? I dunno...but it might be worth a look if you want it to sound like a Gibson Les Paul. All of the suggestions made are excellent, though IMHO much better sounding pickups than anything Gibson puts in their guitars these days. Not knocking Gibson, just thatt here are so many great pickup winders out there today, that it's not hard to get a very high quality pickup :)

8. tommyg

tommyg Member

HighOrder pickups. I have them in my Heritage H-150 (Les Paul)...sensitive, airy; let's the guitar be the voice!

9. tommyg

tommyg Member

Ronmail - I have a 57 Classic zebra bridge pickup that I replaced with my HighOrders. If you're interested in it drop me a line and we'll talk...

10. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I'm guessing that if you look at the parameters of most of these pickups such as, resonant frequency, wire, mags, DC resistance... you may find some major overlap here. Regardless of the maker.

IMHO, There certainly is something very special about a nice scatter wound, Alnico II, 42 gauge, with app 25% mismatched asymetrical coils, wound to app 7.6- 7.8K.

Harry Jacobson

11. ronmail65

A little more info on my question that kicked off this thread...

Last night I swapped out the Burstbucker III with a Duncan '59 -- my tone went from too dark to twangy bright clarity. If you closed your eyes and listened you'd swear it was a Fender. So, I just went from 1 extreme to the other.

I'm looking for warm, high output, mid-rangey, crunch tone. Not a shred pickup, just a straight ahead hard rock tone. Think pre-Brian Johnson Angus Young tone, Jackyl guitar tone, Ace Frehley or the Donnas guitar tone.

12. ronmail65

Harry Jacobson,

That is an excellent technical desription that may very well capture exactly what I'm looking for. But I have no idea what you just said...

I'm just a guitar player, not a guitar tech. I know what tone I like, I know how to dial it in, but I know very little about the electronics that make that tone possible.

Ron

13. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I totally understand Ron,
    I was the same many moons ago.
    I have learned so much, about so many topics over the years. I must say that one of the coolest things about this board, is the fact that there is so much to learn from so many folks.

These kind of posts generally end up in a "this company is better than that"
    place.
    I'm basically jus' saying it's the ingredients that count IMHO

HJ

14. ronmail65

Harry,

Thanks -- and I completely agree with you. But, for now, I'm looking for product recommendations. I can use your specs as a reference -- thank you for that!!

Ron

15. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Great description! These pickups might just do it, then....
    WCR Goodwood bridge
    WCR Darkburst bridge
    John Suhr SSV or DSV (bridge)
    John Suhr SSV+ or DSV+ (bridge)
    HighOrder Maximus wind

The Lollar Imperial is a great pickup, but the bridge I found a bit bright. Haven't tried the Voodoo 59. The Seth Lover is great, though I'm not sure it's far enough in the hard rock camp for you. Time to heat up the soldering iron! :D

16. Junior

Sounds like a Duncan JB, to me. If you bought the '59, use their exchange policy.

17. cheesey

cheesey Member

I was gonna get new HB's too but someone recommended I keep the original shaw pafs and replace the 300k vol and tone pots with an rs true tone kit with 500 K's.
    my 85 lp std's tone is dull .

if this doesnt help then i'll change to rs fralins or lollars , wcr's.
    my rs kit came ups today i was hoping usps oh well :crazyguy

18. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Lollar Imperials. Had Voodoo 59's in my R8 before the Lollars (and after the Burstbuckers, which I hated). The Voodoos have a GREAT overdriven sound, but lacked clarity to my ears when played clean. The Lollar bridge pickup IS a bit bright, but, to me, that's what the tone knob is for. It's got extra brightness if you need it.

19. Mr. Savage

Mr. Savage Member

I'm the only guy that says this, but I like the stock 490/498 combo in my '96 Standard. I've had it rewired a few times, but right now is the best setup so far. I have a stock orange cap between the bridge pickup controls, but a yellow Astron out of an old Bassman across the neck controls. I also reversed the neck pickup so the poles are on the bridge side rather than at the neck. After this I've really found some sweet spots. With both pu's on, I get a great Gretsch sound that can go into ES-335 zones. The bridge pickup alone can really get grindy, and the neck has a much more usable, yet still full tone without as much "woof."

Long story short, the stock pu's are great.

20. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Funny, I've got an Ibanez Talman tc825 with '59s in it, and its quite a bit darker to my ears than my '96 LP Std with a Burstbucker III in the bridge and a BB I in the neck... My LP sounds exactly like I want a Paul to sound, though!