• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Gibson Les Paul Special. Why so cheap?

Stringz

Does anyone have any specs on these? I was just wondering why I can buy a genuine Gibson LP for $700. Were they imported? Use cheap parts? What's the deal-io? :confused:

CitizenCain

Cheaper to make = cheaper to sell. No maple cap, no binding on the body all add up to lower cost guitar for the manufacturer.

franksguitar

Which Special are you referring? This is a 1990 I picked up for $750 years back and sell around the same now. I had an orig 1956 Les Paul TV Special I got for $1100 and sold for profit later and now sell for 12-25K.

Stringz

Which Special are you referring? This is a 1990 I picked up for $750 years back and sell around the same now. I had an orig 1956 Les Paul TV Special I got for $1100 and sold for profit later and now sell for 12-25K.
No, definitely not the TV Special. The Specials I mean are 80's or 90's vintage, I think.

daddyo

although many love them as a basic no frills guitar, they're really not much of a guitar. The faded ones feel like a bit of deck railing with some frets and pups cut in.

Stringz

This is the one I was specifically referring to

Looks nice for $700, I just wonder how it sounds.

(This may not be a factory finish, BTW. The shop that is selling this one is known for repairing/upgrading/refinishing guitars that come in beat up or damaged or have very outdated hardware. Fortunately, they only do that sort of thing to el cheapo models. These guys can even make an old Teisco wail.)

Last edited:
This is the one I was specifically referring to

Looks nice for $700, I just wonder how it sounds.
i have the same one ive had it since 2001. original owner. i love it. its not like the more fancy gibsons but still retains the sound. its more resonant imp too

Moctzal

No carved maple top, binding, block inlays etc.

Cuts down on material costs and man-hours to complete.

So less money spent on materials and labour = lower price.

boogiemantoo

The Guitar you show as a special looks like a studio which is made on the line as everything else. Great guitar all go and very little show great value though.

Rhynster

No, that's definitely a Special, and it looks like the faded finish.

I think $700 for those is high for what it is, but they must be able to sell them for that..

keith_t4e

I had a smokin early 90s TV Yellow one. They used to be great guitars like the sunburst one on this thread. The past few years they have done the faded ones. I do not like them at all.

eurotrashed

Why did these cool ones get replaced with the new lame Special?

Do these 1990s Specials play better than the new ones?

michael patrick

Silver Supporting Member
I don't get Gibson's nomenclature on the guitar pictured above. Why did they call a guitar with two humbuckers a Special? The Special has always been two P-90s, like the one I have (which is a '97 if I'm remembering right).

Krank

I have a '04 Special (re-finished with black auto lacquer!) that I got on a trade. I like it as a no-frills, evil beater guitar. I had the pups changed for SD '59s and it now has pretty good tone.

Any idea what kind of 'mahogany' is used? What was Gibson's usual non-adherence to quality plus the basic nature of this model, I figure it could be anything.

AL30

There is a little bit of info on all Specials here - not sure if the one you're looking for is here or not. I think your's may be an "SL" model. :confused:

http://www.krampe-family.de/html/lespaulcharact.html

To the guys with the single cut 1990 era specials. I have a question - I just picked one up and it should be here in a few weeks. How are the P100's? Am I better off dumping them for some P90's. I don't need another humbucker equipped guitar at the moment. Sorry, don't mean to hijack. PM if you want. Thanks

AL

Trending Topics