1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Gibson Les Paul Standard '50s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by caboholic, Jul 26, 2020.

1. caboholic

caboholic Member

Has anyone purchased one of the new 50's les Paul's, if so how do you like the bigger neck? I'm tired of thin necks. Also how are the vintage tuners, I love the look of them but have never had a guitar with them, I've always put grovers on my guitars. Do the tuners stay in tuner?

Rod likes this.
  2. JDGibson1959

JDGibson1959 Member

I had just recently finally been able to give the new 50’s & 60’s original series a run and love the both of them. That being said, while I initially thought I was set on an Iced Tea burst 60’s spec mainly due to the finishing, after playing a few others, I came across a 50’s in tobacco that just seemed to have something extra special about it, especially with just how resonant it is... the entire body and neck is just so acoustic when unplugged and feel Gibson really did a great job nailing things by going with some slightly more period correct specs but even with the appearance as well... with the flaming appearing to be a bit more like “figuring” along with some additional subtleties that show through in the grain where the dyed bled in a bit, while the 60’s are gorgeous and have lots of flaming and bright colors with the finishes, I kind of dig how it’s a bit more random with the 50’s models and more of a slightly more subtle to understated look where aside from some specific appointments in which are lacking, such as a long neck tendon, etc, the feel and appearance to many of the 50’s have a bit of a time capsule vibe to them as if having suddenly come across a ‘59 Les Paul that had been set untouched in its case the last 61 years... where thats where I would say the 50’s are a bit in line with... having played quite a few R8’s & R9’s, while not quite custom shop models where they are a bit more period correct and have the long neck tenon, glued, dyes and the thinner nitro... appearance wise, playability, feel and tone wise, I would say Gibson closed the gap a bit between the USA range and the custom shop range with these new standards... while the 60’s are absolutely amazing in their own right, and to some, may be a bit more appealing visually, if it’s the feel of a late 50’s Les Paul you are wishing to be a bit closer to, and is the tone you are seeking, I would say the new 50’s model is a great option... so far, I have really loved mine. The neck, I’ve seen many comments all over the board where with many of them, I doubt most of the original posts are from people who have played an actual ‘58 or ‘59... the custom shop models, they are to be period correct where even with them, much can vary from guitar to guitar and was often the same with the original 50’s models... while I have seen Gibson state the new 50’s standard has a neck based off a ‘59, despite the fact some have seemed to contest this, I would have to say that is rather accurate, possible even a bit of a blend between the way a ‘58 and ‘59 feels where I feel the chunk feels a bit closer to a ‘58, while the carve feels a bit closer to a ‘59 of that makes sense? Overall, if you like a fatter necked Les Paul, I don’t think the new 50’s standard will disappoint while if coming across one like mine, where it’s extremely resonant, you won’t be able to put the guitar down! R8’s & R9’s, they as well are always great options, especially if purchasing one used, but the new 50’s standard, it’s pretty damn close and am beyond thrilled to see Gibson return to its roots! Over the last few years; there had been much I was not very pleased in with Gibson... while always one to advocate for them, and despite some QC issues at times, which more times than not, I feel can be a bit of added character or part of the beauty of a Gibson being primarily a hand built guitar but by all means, I would say, they have always continued to make world class guitars, yet many simply were not my cup of tea... even with things like the PCB pots or push pull features and modern neck carves, along with things like the Burst Bucker pro’s, there was just a lot I was not so keen where the new Standard 50’s, in many ways, is exactly what I had been hoping for with Gibson and could not recommend it more to get out and try playing a couple, finding one that really speaks to you and just pulling the trigger on your new lifelong friend! So yes, overall, there is a lot I could say about the new 50’s standard where bottom line is, they are amazing!

Deus56, rauchman, caboholic and 2 others like this.
  3. caboholic

caboholic Member

I do like the flame on a guitar and it seems like the 50's don't have as much, I need to go see one in person as I don't want to spend that kind of money unless I could play it first. I see that wildwood guitars has a real nice cherry sunburst, it's almost $3,000 which the others are in the $2,400 range, but I love the color and the flame.
    https://wildwoodguitars.com/product...elect-les-paul-standard-50s-125/?cat_id=21944

JDGibson1959 likes this.
  4. Silkrodamus

Silkrodamus Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was the first 50's Standard I saw hanging in a store when they first came out. I put it on hold and came back to the store two hours later with the money for it. Highly flamed 50's Standards are out there! I was lucky... didn't have to wait long for mine.

I love the neck on this guitar. Chunky but fits the hand so well. Perfect in mt opinion. And the body is so resonant....and relatively light at 8.5lbs (that matters to some people. I just view it as a nice little bonus). Keeps the GAS for a historic completely at bay. If you ask me what I think....I absolutely love the 50's model.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  5. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Supporting Member

I bought a 50's Standard Goldtop with P90s last month. It is wonderful in every way. The neck is definitely FAT, but I like it. I prefer the neck on my 2017 Traditional, and the weight as well. My Standard 50s is the heaviest guitar I've ever owned, but I dig that about it in some ways. It was a little muddy when I got it, but I lowered pickups and got it setup and it sings. It's honestly ballsier and fatter than my Traditional, which is definitely more polite in comparison. I think that these guitars (the P90 version) are sleepers out there. They just rip and have every bit of the grunt of a humbucking guitar, but they clean up like a single coil guitar.

It's quite honestly my favorite guitar right now. It's put my Tele in the classifieds, my Traditional in the closet, fended off a would be PRS CE24 purchase, and it also has me second guessing the Silver Sky I just ordered...

I can't think of another guitar that does everything so well without a myriad of switching and gimmicky features/options. Use the volumes and get different sounds. The only real reason I bought a Silver Sky is that I just find that nothing does a Strat like a Strat...

monkey_like_guitar and caboholic like this.
  6. 86runner

86runner Silver Supporting Member

I got a 2019 50s HB gold top in trade a little while back. I'm not a LP guy by any means, a conclusion at which I arrived after plenty of experimentation. I've had an R8, R9 and an R6, along with a few other Traditionals, Studios and Standards throughout the years, and finally just decided LPs just weren't for me. Then I got this one. It has a clarity even on the neck pickup none of my others ever had. The neck is what I always wanted them to put on a production LP. I love fat necks and this one is fantastic. I've never understood why you had to drop big coin to get a fat neck on a guitar, all brands included. It's just under 9lbs, which is pretty comfortable for a LP in my experience. My Rs weren't much lighter than this one. This one will stick. If the rest are at all like this one, I'm impressed.

caboholic likes this.
  7. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Supporting Member

The clarity, especially in the neck, is also why I haven't ever bonded with LPs. My 2017 Traditional was an impulse buy because my daughter loved the color and it was on sale locally. I lowered the neck pickup tremendously, and raised the pole pieces and it is still not quite where I want it tonally, but it was close. My new 50's P90 is a dream with clarity for days. I don't know what Gibson is doing now, but it must be 500K pots compared to whatever they were using in the 300K range....

monkey_like_guitar and caboholic like this.
  8. caboholic

caboholic Member

The pics didn't come through, is it the guitar in your avatar?

9. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Its a pretty good size. It won't match the thickness of historic models (for example, an R8 is quite a bit thicker) but it is definitely thicker than most production guitars necks. Even the 60s neck is a good size, IMO. I like the bigger 'shoulders' on the 50s neck for chordal playing mainly. And the flat back of the neck makes it nice to solo on when you drop your thumb down behind the neck more. Overall I would say the 50s is closer to a 1960 Les Paul neck.

You can see here an LP Traditional 50s profile, which is the same as the current 50s LP Standard how it compares to historic models:
    [​IMG]

Desmosedici, Microdot and caboholic like this.
  10. Silkrodamus

Silkrodamus Member

Thanks for letting me know. Fixed.

And yes it is! My pride and joy.

11. sunking101

sunking101 Member

I've had two, a 2019 HCB 50s and a 2020 Goldtop 50s. I sent both back. The first weighed 10lbs 8oz and had a couple of faults. The 'o' in the Gibson headstock logo was super-dark and one of the volume knobs kept falling off. The weight pretty much put me off that guitar.

The goldtop had a crap fretjob. I couldn't get a decent low action without choking, and there were some really course fret ends & tooling marks on the neck binding. On the plus side it was under 9lbs and the neck carve was superb. The necks are fairly inconsistent but this one was more of a baseball bat than the other and I liked it.

I ended up sticking with my 2018 R8 and my 2006 goldtop Standard but I did buy a very nice example of a 2020 Les Paul Special so there are definitely some gems to be found in the Original Series. I just didn't manage to find a good 50s Standard.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  12. 86runner

This is interesting. None of the Traditionals I've had have had a neck near as thick as the 2019 Standard 50s I have now. I guess there's just a ton of variation.

fancychords and sunking101 like this.
  13. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Yeah, they are hand crafted, so it can vary. I've had some Trads that were thicker/thinner, all depends. None were as thick/accurate as the historic shapes though. I think they might be making the newer 50s a bit thicker on average. The older 50s models from the early 2000s I find even thinner, my 2002 50s neck feels more like a current 60s.

14. 86runner

This is more in line with what I've experienced. My older Traditionals 50s necks were maybe .84. I have a 2011 Studio here with a 50s neck thats .838. My 2019 Standard with a 50s neck is .885, and my 2019 LP Special is .882. Big difference in what they used to call 50s necks.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  15. caboholic

caboholic Member

Damn that is nice, that's the cherry burst?

16. caboholic

caboholic Member

Not to get off topic here but looking on eBay for a 50's les Paul I see quite a few Japanese les Paul's, what's the deal with that? It says mfg'd in Japan, are they much different than the USA ones?

17. agquake

agquake Member

I highly recommend the 50s. You’ll be glad you did.

[​IMG]

bryan83, JDGibson1959, Deus56 and 2 others like this.
  18. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

Resellers who don't actually own the guitars they list but will buy them when you buy their auction and ship them to you. Seems pretty shady to me and EBay apparently won't do a thing about it.

caboholic likes this.
  19. Silkrodamus

Silkrodamus Member

Yessir! The Original 50's Standard line of Gibsons, to me, marks the first time they started making the Heritage Cherry Burst on non-Custom Shop Les Pauls more true to the original Cherry Burst, in my opinion. No more clown bursts.

Its closer to the 'Factory Burst' on the new 60th Anniversary R9 Les Paul Standard.

caboholic likes this.
  20. Evan_R

Evan_R Supporting Member

Is that a 2020? The truss rod cover is different.