Gibson Les Paul Standard vs Les Paul Special

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by masayako, Feb 26, 2009.

1. masayako

masayako Member

Hi guys,

For those who owned both, any tone differences between the two
    (Gibson Les Paul Standard singlecut vs Gibson Les Paul Special)?

I got the LP Special (P-90) doublecut because I can't stand for hours with Les Paul Standard (9-10lbs)...

Always wonder if there's any major TONAL differences between the two? I may get a LP Std eventually, if I can find a nice, light weight one. :)

2. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

One's got P90s and one's got humbuckers. That's a pretty huge difference tonally.

RussB likes this.
  3. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Depends, but they come vice versa as well. My Special is a P90 guitar and my Standard is a humbucker guitar, so the pickups do make a huge difference. Wood-wise they're both mahogany with rosewood boards, it's just the Special doesn't have an archtop, it's dead flat. My Special resonates a little louder when unplugged.

4. bilbal

bilbal Member

The new "Standards" are weight relieved making them very light. I didn't care for the ones I played last week. Honestly, i like my LPs to be on the heavy side. The new standards just feel funny to me.

Traditionals rock!!!
    b

5. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Yeah I'd rather have a Traditional and just take the fingerboard off if that's the look I'm going after. I like the tuners on the Standard but that's about it. By the way, the Traditionals have weight relief holes and the Standards are chambered.

6. bilbal

bilbal Member

The Traditional is not much lighter than every other Les Paul I have owned. But you're right, I did mistakenly say weight relieved. The Standards are chambered and the Traditional have the Swiss cheese relief thing.

What do you mean by taking the fingerboard off? I missed that one. :huh

[​IMG]

7. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

I meant pickguard. Sorry. I'm going on three hours of sleep.

8. masayako

masayako Member

There are so many LP models nowadays, I am confused....

9. bilbal

bilbal Member

You really had me on that one...LOL!!!! Not sleeping sucks huh? I have bad insomnia ever since all my back surgeries. I hope you get to sleep.

B

10. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

A major difference is the Special being all mahoghany and no maple top.

11. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

my 1976 LP special with humbuckers was as heavy as my 85 LP custom, my 2003 LP with humbuckers is very light and has a back contour, really easly to play that guitar,

the P-90s do sound much better than humbuckers, however my 2003 LP special has split coil humbuckers, so I can get a single coil tone and humbucker noiseless drive, but also upgrading the humbuckers does not hurt, my rio grandes in mY LP custom the 2003 special really sound great, so upgrading the electronics and pups definitely helps as well.

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Special is thinner than a regular LP.

13. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Yeah, a Standard will in general be beefier and less articulate.

14. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

'Cause it has no top.

15. masayako

masayako Member

I test drive the LP standard today... STILL can't stand the weight & it's just not easy to acccess to high notes... I suck as a player. I guess I still love the LP Special Doublecut the most. :)

16. e???

e??? Member

Bump for opinions on differences besides the pickups

17. dazco

dazco Member

Standards are brighter, more focused sounding. Specials have that super greasy fat rich tone that needs a cleaner amp tone to be as focused and articulate but also has a killer rich fat lead tone. Part of that is the P90's but partially also because they are lighter which IMO makes that sort of difference, and because of the lack of a maple top. I prefer the special.

18. Yooper

Yooper Member

LP Standards can be finicky and all over the map with tone, in good and not-so-good ways.

The LP Special is the "Telecaster of the Les Pauls". It has the sweet, versatile simplicity of single coil P-90s on a slab of mahogany. Bill Kirchen calls the Tele, the junction of form and function. That describes the LP Special as well. From jazz and blues to classic rock and country, by way of Bob Marley, it is a dependable and consistent roots guitar all the way.

Whether warm and sweet, or dirty and mean, it sounds like a Les Paul. They overwhelmingly win the "Bang for the Buck" award.

dougstrummer likes this.