• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Gibson Les Paul Studio or Gibson 1958 Les Paul Standard

Eugene

Silver Supporting Member
I believe the R8 is definitely worth the money, but I'd buy one used for US$2,200 - $2,400 and pocket the difference.

I have a 2008 R8 Flametop...fantastic guitar.

Eugene

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
I played an R8 last weekend and it has a nice chunky neck - bigger than a Studio, but not a Louisville by any means. The price tag however makes me like my Studios even more. If I were to go for an R8 I'd get a used one because just like a new car soon as you drive it off the lot . . . . . it becomes a used car and valued accordingly.

bilbal

There is no comparison between the two you are asking about obviously. But I agree with Eugene, look for a used one if you are going to go with the R8.

All of that said, I just got a Traditional last week and it's one of the best Les Paul I have ever owned. It's smokes every other guitar in the price range IMO. I will admit that I am not the best person to "talk" to about Les Pauls though. I am a bit a fanatic when it comes to anything Les Paul and may be a bit biased.

5E3

I agree with others here. Whatever you buy, look for a used one and save some significant bucks. Especially in the current market.

rabbuhl

There is no comparison between the two you are asking about obviously. But I agree with Eugene, look for a used one if you are going to go with the R8.

All of that said, I just got a Traditional last week and it's one of the best Les Paul I have ever owned. It's smokes every other guitar in the price range IMO. I will admit that I am not the best person to "talk" to about Les Pauls though. I am a bit a fanatic when it comes to anything Les Paul and may be a bit biased.
Most used R8 seems to be selling for around $2500. For $2899 you can get a new one on eBay. The traditionals are going for $2189.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Gibson-Les-Paul-1958-Iced-Tea-Burst-Mint_W0QQitemZ180332323144QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item180332323144&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Do I need to spend over $2000 to get a decent Les Paul?

ThugLife

I can't get over the cheesy feel of the LP studio. I love Les Pauls, and I've played MANY (working in music store for 5 years helps). I always tell customers don't go with anyhting below a Std and you'll be super happy.

Agreed that I'm definitely not a fan of the studios, however with everything gibson and fender, if you hunt for a good one, you may find it.

Also I thought you meant a studio versus a real 1958 Les Paul, I don't know how you could even ask that question, clearly the studio :D

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
The Studios are the bottom of the LP USA lineup. They play and sound fine, and they at least are a real Les Paul.

The R8 is a Custom Shop instrument with all of the vintage style appointments - pretty much a top shelf guitar other than a lack of flame top.

The Traditional sort of bridges the gap between the two.

rabbuhl

Agreed that I'm definitely not a fan of the studios, however with everything gibson and fender, if you hunt for a good one, you may find it.

Also I thought you meant a studio versus a real 1958 Les Paul, I don't know how you could even ask that question, clearly the studio :D
It is a silly question in the first place but NOT that silly:crazyguy

GTRJoe

Silver Supporting Member
Studios are ok. But the Historic stuff is much better. I'd bet you can find a great price on a new one if you look around. But buying used would be your best bet.

Eugene

Silver Supporting Member
The R8 is a Custom Shop instrument with all of the vintage style appointments - pretty much a top shelf guitar other than a lack of flame top.
You CAN get a recent R8 with a flametop. The 50th Anniversary run (2008) produced 200 (I think) Murphy-aged pieces and there were an additional 35 non-aged flametops with a gloss finish....I have one of the 35. Its a most EXCELLENT guitar.

The plaintops are great as well....some really nice looking/plating ones out there.

Eugene

Aahzz

I disagree that there's no comparison. I've not owned an R8, admittedly, but I have owned an R7, as well as a Classic, a Classic Antique, and 2 Studios.

The best guitar out of those 5? '94 Studio, Wine Red - never should have sold it. It's a friend of mine's #1 to this day, and an utterly fantastic guitar.

All of them were good guitars, and all held up well with the R7.

Mr.Hanky

There are a sh*tload of artists out there making great music with sub par TGP gear.
Go with whatever one floats your boat.

Trending Topics