Gibson Les Paul Studio or Gibson 1958 Les Paul Standard

Eugene

Silver Supporting Member
I believe the R8 is definitely worth the money, but I'd buy one used for US$2,200 - $2,400 and pocket the difference.

I have a 2008 R8 Flametop...fantastic guitar.

Eugene

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
I played an R8 last weekend and it has a nice chunky neck - bigger than a Studio, but not a Louisville by any means. The price tag however makes me like my Studios even more. If I were to go for an R8 I'd get a used one because just like a new car soon as you drive it off the lot . . . . . it becomes a used car and valued accordingly.

bilbal

There is no comparison between the two you are asking about obviously. But I agree with Eugene, look for a used one if you are going to go with the R8.

All of that said, I just got a Traditional last week and it's one of the best Les Paul I have ever owned. It's smokes every other guitar in the price range IMO. I will admit that I am not the best person to "talk" to about Les Pauls though. I am a bit a fanatic when it comes to anything Les Paul and may be a bit biased.

5E3

I agree with others here. Whatever you buy, look for a used one and save some significant bucks. Especially in the current market.

rabbuhl

There is no comparison between the two you are asking about obviously. But I agree with Eugene, look for a used one if you are going to go with the R8.

All of that said, I just got a Traditional last week and it's one of the best Les Paul I have ever owned. It's smokes every other guitar in the price range IMO. I will admit that I am not the best person to "talk" to about Les Pauls though. I am a bit a fanatic when it comes to anything Les Paul and may be a bit biased.

Most used R8 seems to be selling for around $2500. For $2899 you can get a new one on eBay. The traditionals are going for $2189.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Gibson-Les-Paul-1958-Iced-Tea-Burst-Mint_W0QQitemZ180332323144QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item180332323144&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Do I need to spend over $2000 to get a decent Les Paul?

ThugLife

I can't get over the cheesy feel of the LP studio. I love Les Pauls, and I've played MANY (working in music store for 5 years helps). I always tell customers don't go with anyhting below a Std and you'll be super happy.

Agreed that I'm definitely not a fan of the studios, however with everything gibson and fender, if you hunt for a good one, you may find it.

Also I thought you meant a studio versus a real 1958 Les Paul, I don't know how you could even ask that question, clearly the studio :D

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
The Studios are the bottom of the LP USA lineup. They play and sound fine, and they at least are a real Les Paul.

The R8 is a Custom Shop instrument with all of the vintage style appointments - pretty much a top shelf guitar other than a lack of flame top.

The Traditional sort of bridges the gap between the two.

rabbuhl

Agreed that I'm definitely not a fan of the studios, however with everything gibson and fender, if you hunt for a good one, you may find it.

Also I thought you meant a studio versus a real 1958 Les Paul, I don't know how you could even ask that question, clearly the studio :D

It is a silly question in the first place but NOT that silly:crazyguy

GTRJoe

Silver Supporting Member
Studios are ok. But the Historic stuff is much better. I'd bet you can find a great price on a new one if you look around. But buying used would be your best bet.

Eugene

Silver Supporting Member
The R8 is a Custom Shop instrument with all of the vintage style appointments - pretty much a top shelf guitar other than a lack of flame top.

You CAN get a recent R8 with a flametop. The 50th Anniversary run (2008) produced 200 (I think) Murphy-aged pieces and there were an additional 35 non-aged flametops with a gloss finish....I have one of the 35. Its a most EXCELLENT guitar.

The plaintops are great as well....some really nice looking/plating ones out there.

Eugene

Aahzz

I disagree that there's no comparison. I've not owned an R8, admittedly, but I have owned an R7, as well as a Classic, a Classic Antique, and 2 Studios.

The best guitar out of those 5? '94 Studio, Wine Red - never should have sold it. It's a friend of mine's #1 to this day, and an utterly fantastic guitar.

All of them were good guitars, and all held up well with the R7.

Mr.Hanky

There are a sh*tload of artists out there making great music with sub par TGP gear.
Go with whatever one floats your boat.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom