Gibson les Paul Studio Vintage Mahoghany

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by todd richman, Mar 8, 2006.

1. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I am considering buying one of these Les Paul Studio Vintage Mahoghany guitars from Musician's Friend(they are an MF exclusive). I want an all Mahoghany Paul with a '59 profile neck which these have so I can equip it with the Bare Knuckle Pickups Mississippi Queen Humbucker size P-90 guitars. Has anyone bought one of these or played one. Opinions needed. They are very cheap-$899. I also have 2 Historics, an R9 Brockburst and a R7 Refin Offset Seam special edition from Dave's Guitar as well as a '52 NAMM 2005 Tele with neck humbucker(Keith Richard's Micawber replica).

2. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

The resaon I am asking this is that I am considering selling a 50's neck 2004 Les Paul Standard. The other option is to keep the Standard and install a set of Wagner pickups-probably a Crossroads neck and Darkburst bridge. I understand that combo is great for Allmans, Black Crowes, Skynyrd, etc tones. All opinions needed. My girlfriend thinks I am nuts to sell the black 2004 Standard. She likes the look of that better than my Bursts!

3. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Got a link so I can see?

4. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

you're just nuts. :D

seriously, if i were you, i'd buy the Bareknuckles Missisippi Queens and put them in the black LP Standard.

5. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

why don't you get a les paul special or junior or something with P90's already installed??!

6. 3Tone

3Tone Member

....or if you're thinking of picking up an LP studio, find one of the P-90 equipped Les Paul Gem Series Studios from the mid '90s. They show up on E-bay regularly.

7. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

Todd, since you asked about the Vintage Mahogany, I can fill you in. I bought a VM at GC recently. The only difference from MF is the color. Mine is brown, not red. It rings like a bell and has a great neck. No fret buzzes and really an amazing instrument for the money. Weight is about 8.5 lbs.

I have and have had some really nice historics, and this hangs right in there with them. It's the best production LP I've played. I was actually looking at another historic at GC and was unimpressed. I saw this VM nearby and took it from the stand and played unplugged. It was unreal. I plugged in and the same result. I took it home with me right then and there.

There are a few people with the VMs at the LPF, and all have had similar experiences. Gibson got something right with these IMO.

8. amper

amper Member

Very nice guitars, but I've seen wild variations in wood quality from one example to the next. If that sort of thing is important to you, you'd do well to look around at various GC stores to find one that you like better.

9. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I bought a VM Studio from GC last weekend. It's a seriously sweet guitar. Got to jam with it a little last night. The neck pickup is full bodied without being muddy, very nice. The bridge is a little thin sounding, IMO. Of course, I haven't tweaked it a lot yet, so the tone might still be hiding in there.

Guitar-wise, it's really light for a LP. Mine barely hits 8 lbs on my bathroom scale. The body and neck resonate like crazy and it has a nice hollow, woody sound, like old dried wood. I think it's a great deal. Plus, I got mine for $789 due to a mismarked price tag :D

[​IMG]

10. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

I put a WCR Goodwood in the bridge and a darkburst in the neck of mine. There are no more problems with a thin sounding bridge pup on the higher strings.