• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Nut Work

CharlieNC

Hey guys. My 2013 Gibby LP Traditional always had a problem with the g string staying in tune. I finally decided to replace the factory nut. When I removed it, I discovered that the factory cut nut slot was not in fact level.

Gibson had actually cut the bass side a bit deeper and then lacquered over the edge of the nut. I'm curious if anybody else has ever seen this and what's the work around if I wanted to use a pre slotted Tusq XL.

I'm guessing I'll still have to adjust the string heights individually. Or should I level out the shoddy Gibson nut slot and be done with it? Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome. Thank you.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
you'd have to shape, sand and file any nut you replaced it with, including adjusting the string heights individually; no getting around that.

all you should have needed in the first place was to get the stock nut slots filed and shaped properly, no need to have removed it. gibbys and lots of other guitars leave the slots high and don't shape them as well as they should for proper tuning stability.

CharlieNC

sounds good. I ordered a pre slotted unbleached nut from stew mac. hopefully that will get me on the right track. thanks

musicman10_1

Silver Supporting Member
I replaced the nut on my '13 Traditional with a Tusq pre-slotted nut. One of these days I'm going to drop it by a tech and have a bone nut cut and full set-up.

Trending Topics