Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II

Discussion in 'Reviews of Electric Guitars' started by r9player, Mar 21, 2016.

1. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Surprised there are only 6 reviews in this forum so far??
    Got this last week in a sale from MF
    I'll add the link but copy the specs.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/...ff0ef6e11e5996be2322f8ed2120INT#productDetail

Body: Mahogany
    Top: Carved maple
    Back: Mahogany
    Neck: Set mahogany
    Neck Profile: '60s
    Headstock: Angled
    Scale length: 24-3/4"
    Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood
    No. of frets: 22
    Nut width: 1.69"
    Inlays: Trapezoid
    Binding: Antique
    Bridge: Tune-O-Matic with stopbar tailpiece
    Tuners: Locking Grover
    Hardware: Chrome
    Bridge pickup: Super 57 humbucker with push/push coil-splitting
    Neck Pickup: '57 Classic with push/push coil-splitting
    Electronics: 2 volume with push/push coil-splitting, 2 tone (1 with push/push to activate boost), 3-way toggle pickup selector
    Knobs: Vintage Gibson top hats
    Pickguard: Period-correct
    Case: Hardshell
    Other: Plek setup

Ok notable things:
    PLEK Setup!
    This guitar although slightly off from perfect intonation, plays perfect, fit and finish perfect, nothing sticking out or anything.

Nothing is book matched, basically two halves made a whole for the body, and two other halves made a whole for the top. Of course it is solid woods! Satin finish, personally I find nothing wrong with that.
    It's BOAT ANCHOR weight, those that love those 70's LPs will feel right at home, probably 10.5-11 lbs
    I've mostly been playing chambered guitars so this is a real wake up call to pick this up. But wow Resonant! As I was tuning this guitar up, felt more vibration through the tuners than any other guitar I've played so far. Although it doesn't sound 'loud' when played unplugged.

Coil split and Active boost
    I've played plenty of LP style guitars and actual Gibsons of various types, these pickups are nice! They aren't as 'sharp' sounding as the older 57's or Burstbuckers. A bit 'wider' spectrum and the Neck doesn't get too muddy, but for those that expect that huge sharp jump in the bridge, that isn't quite there either. But it features a much more wider usable range on the Tone and Volume pots, especially a nice surprise that the tone pots have become useful! Usually those are maxed out for me. now I can work 3-8. Volume does it usual Nice to Grind and Crunch, no 'howl' BUT It comes with an Active boost. This boost actually sounds nice! As far as I can tell, tone stack bypass and a dB boost that is controllable, and can be incredibly handy if you just need to put that amp one more notch over the top.
    The coil split on the other hand meh, terrible :( Do not expect this guitar to sound like a single coil or anything strat like, the sound doesn't just go softer, it goes muddy. I have and have had other SC type guitars that are lighter body, thinner body that do a much better job in that do a much better job. I wonder if they perhaps split the PU different that it might do better. Maybe with the split on and the boost on and some EQ'ing you might get something decent sounding out of that position. Dislike, but didn't get it for the split coil feature.

60's neck, I'm very used to this profile, I can play wider, but started with this profile and I find it very comfortable, with the PLEK on top of that, I find it a breeze to play.

It actually has been quite a while since I've played an actual Gibson LP and I must say, this is a NICE guitar, easy to play, great sounding SC. In the end the weight might do me in :( but I feel it does give me this better resonance and nice sound. Although I didn't get to compare to similar ones of a lighter weight. Beyond that, the price was really good on it. Hopefully the next generation of 57's comes with a more usable split coil ratio.

sandcastle and Guerrilla235 like this.
  2. technomancer

technomancer Member

Wow I've got a traditional non-weight relieved plain top that is only 9lbs 6oz...

3. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I had one of these for a while - a goldtop - loved it, but it really came alive when I replaced those weird square pots with an Emerson 50's wiring kit with new CTS pots (I found that i NEVER used the coil split or boost functions). It sounded like a far more expensive LP and had a lot of great vintage tone. It opened up nicely and showed just how well-built these "mid-point" LPs can be. It sounded great with the stock set up, but i was floored by the positive difference when the pots/caps/switch/jack assembly went in. Night and day.

kustombob likes this.
  4. chipss36

chipss36 Member

10/11 pounds? Geez.
    My trad-t is 8 pounds 7 oz.

5. Boomstick

Boomstick Member

My '81 LP Custom is non chambered and only weights 9.5lbs. It really depends on the cut of wood, I got lucky as a lot of the early 80s and 70s woods were heavier varieties.