Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro vs Custom Classic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rwszero1, Feb 12, 2012.

1. rwszero1

rwszero1 Member

Hiyas....looking at getting an LP and it's come down to the two of them.
    Both Goldtops, both very nice in their own way.

The Trad Pro has uncovered 'zebra' pups that are splittable with the volume pots (push/pull), the fretboard is rosewood (or ebony) apparently. This model was also made for GC.

The Custom Classic is a pretty regular apart from aesthetics and the fretboard is baked maple.

Styles and tones I'll be wanting from this guitar are Cream, Page, and Slash.

Do any of you have any opinions or extra info on the guitars that would lean me either way???

2. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I prefer not to have Les Pauls with the baked fingerboard. I don't mind it on some of their less classic guitars.

3. Daryl_Licht

Daryl_Licht Member

Can you play them first? That is always the best way to decide. If not it would be a tossup. I think some of the newer Trad Pros come with the baked maple too, might be worth checking out which it really has.

I saw a couple of Custom Classics in the local GC last time I was in but didn't play one. Not real sure about the maple without playing it, though the ones I saw were quite dark and looked good. Some of them just look cheesy.

I have a TP and like it. Plays well and sounds good but I don't use the coil split much.

4. rwszero1

rwszero1 Member

Have played both and to be honest I don't think I would use the splittable pups either.

The baked maple fret board felt very smooth and sounded tonally very good.....just the look is obviously a lot lighter than the rosewood.

5. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

I owned a LP Trad Pro, never ever used the split coils, hated it actually. I traded that for a Larrivee and bought a Les Paul Classic with a rosewood fingerboard. The maple actually sounded a bit brighter than what I like. And, if you are playing Slash and Cream, in my opinion, the ceramic pickups come closer to their sound than the 57 classic.

So.... Don't buy new. Buy a used Les Paul Classic and spend the money on a setup, change the pots and you are all set for under $1,400.

6. rwszero1

rwszero1 Member

Not a bad idea RocknPop and thanks for the feedback on the Trad Pro.

7. el nino

el nino Member

i think 57 classic is the way to go for the tones he wants,that said i have a 58 les paul and a 2009 les paul traditional that is fantastic FAT sounding guitar that i adore...

sure the 58 is THE guitar for cream or zep tones,but you can get it from a trad also,no worries,especially cream tones... :)

custom classic i'm not so familiar,cause i didn't play one so i can't help you there

8. Marble

Marble Member

the custom classic is chambered and has a maple fingerboard

the traditional pro is weight relieved (not chambered) and has a rosewood fingerboard

I've tried some trad pros and they seemed pretty awesome. Haven't tried a CC

9. rwszero1

rwszero1 Member

Thanks for your opinions El Nino, I'm (strangely) finding it hard to find an LP guitar that is 'special'.....when u strum that first chord ur like 'Oh yeah'!

Marble - Both guitars feel HEAVY as opposed to current standard and traditional LPs.....they actually feel identical in weight, they both have a one piece mahogany back.....r u sure the CC is chambered?.....that would obviously feel a lot lighter than weight relieved guitar right?

10. rusgrant

rusgrant Member

Let me say this, finding out whether the 2011 classics are chambered or not is a headache. The Gibson website lists them as being traditional weight relieved, which would imply that the traditionals and the customs have the same bodies. But for some reason, people all over the place are saying that it is chambered. So, I don't know what is going on. I can tell you that my classic is over 9 lbs.

To your question, I bought a classic plus about 3 days ago. Having never owned a les paul, I am not sure how this compares to others, but I love it. The fretboard is baked maple, and it is smooth and super easy to play. Also, I have the 60's style neck that is thinner than the traditional (and thinner than my SG)

But somehow, I am still unsure. People on the internet seem to swear by the traditional... and I have 2 weeks to take this guitar back to the store if I feel it is not what I want. So, I am using this time to fully acquaint myself to the tone and feel of this instrument, then go back to the store and make a final decision after trying out the traditional with my new frame of reference. Sorry I could not be more helpful.

11. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

I just bought a Classic Custom and I prefer it over my '88 Standard and my R8. I'm loving the baked maple, and I'm a rosewood snob.

12. rwszero1

rwszero1 Member

Thanks rusgrant/RAILhead, like I said before, both guitars feel the same weight but actually feel heavier than either a standard or a trad.....the standard LP in my opinion is the lightest LP I've ever held.

I have rosewood on my SG and it feels and plays great, a lot of the LP's I have tried over the last few years have not felt nice at all until I tried the CC with the baked maple.....I guess in all honesty I'm leaning towards the CC, it just seems to be more like a LP in the traditional sense than the trad pro with all it's extra little features.
    I'm pretty much a 'standard' guy, I'm not too keen on bells and whistles when it comes to guitars.
    Cheers for all your opinions and help everyone! ; )

13. rwszero1

rwszero1 Member

Well it's done, put a deposit down on a CC!!! :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. rwszero1

rwszero1 Member

15. Mikey2201

Mikey2201 Member

Congrats - that is beautiful:love::love:

16. rwszero1

rwszero1 Member

Cheers Mikey2201, as you can imagine I'm V V HAPPY! :D

17. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I just ordered one of these, can't wait. If the maple board isn't dark enough, I've read you can oil it (Gibson comfirmed?). Whereas normally you wouldn't oil maple at all.

18. Kzin

Kzin Member

Correct me If I´m wrong here, but LP Customs usualy come with an ebony board? Ebony is supposodly brighter and snappier than maple, that´s what I´ve have read anyways. So the problem with baked maple for a LP Custom shouldn´t be that its too bright since ebony is actualy brighter still?

19. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

To the OP, I think that you could get the tones your seeking out of either guitar.

IMO, Gibson hit a home run with the LP Classic Custom guitar. For the price, their great guitars. My only complaint with the baked maple boards is that they have to be dark. Don't like the looks of the "beige' colored ones.

20. rwszero1

rwszero1 Member

Hi jamison162 - I'm pretty certain you can use lemon oil on any wood, I've used it on my SG (rosewood) and my Strat (maple) and no problems.....it does give a darker tint to darker colour fret boards but this naturally fades again over time as it dries out.....I really can't see that it would do any damage to be honest.

Kzin - Not sure about the 'Customs' but this thread is about the LP Custom 'Classic' which have the baked maple fret board.
    The BM fret board on my LP CC sounds marginally brighter than a rosewood fret board however there is certainly no mistaking that it's a LP from the sound of it! : )

skeeterbuck - I certainly agree you could get the tones from any LP....just wasn't sure the pups difference would make much difference between the two models. (If that makes any sense? lol)
    I love my CC, as I said, I have tried lots of LP's over the years and none ever felt and sounded quite as good as this one does, and I again I agree that Gibson got this model right.....for the look, sound and price it's a winner!