• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Gibson Les Paul Volume Knob Issue

AloofWinter

Hi all. I recently bought my first Gibson, a Les Paul studio, and have been enjoying playing it.

However, I've only just noticed that the volume knobs don't bring in any sound until I turn to 2 on the knobs. 0 - 2 there's just silence from my amp. Is this normal for Gibson Les Pauls?

I will very much appreciate any insight from you experienced Gibson players, as I'm not experienced with these guitars at all yet.

zombiwoof

Silver Supporting Member
The reason for that is that the audio taper on the standard CTS pots these days is a different audio taper than it was on vintage taper, it's like 10% vs. 30% taper. There are many "vintage taper" pots on the market these days that will have a more even taper, do some research on the forums. I like the current Dimarzio pots, they are custom-tapered CTS "dish-back" pots that have more of a vintage taper, and don't cost much more than a standard CTS. There are many more, that will cost a bit more. I think even the Gibson Historic pots these days are supposed to have more of a vintage taper, I bought a couple but haven't tried them yet. Others can give you more recommendations.
Al

AloofWinter

That's how mine are. Two historic LPs.

So yeah, it's normal but you can improve it if you want.

So it's normal for modern Gibson volume knobs to act as on/off switches for the pickups at around the 2 mark on the knobs?

The reason for that is that the audio taper on the standard CTS pots these days is a different audio taper than it was on vintage taper, it's like 10% vs. 30% taper. There are many "vintage taper" pots on the market these days that will have a more even taper, do some research on the forums. I like the current Dimarzio pots, they are custom-tapered CTS "dish-back" pots that have more of a vintage taper, and don't cost much more than a standard CTS. There are many more, that will cost a bit more. I think even the Gibson Historic pots these days are supposed to have more of a vintage taper, I bought a couple but haven't tried them yet. Others can give you more recommendations.
Al

Why would that audio taper be preferable to the old vintage taper? I don't understand how total silence from the pickups 2 and below on the knobs is desirable.

Thanks guys for the great info so far.

buddachile

So it's normal for modern Gibson volume knobs to act as on/off switches for the pickups at around the 2 mark on the knobs?
Yeah, sucks right? If you replace your pots consider a treble bleed mod if you don't like the tone getting darker as you turn the volume down.

dju

I have had this happen on some of my Gibson and Fender guitars.
I just replace them with RS Guitarworks superpots. Better quality and tested pots.

dj

Flogger59

I dropped an Emerson harness in my LP, and it was SO worth it. Really silky feel, one looks forward to a knob twist. The taper is perfect.

chipss36

Gibson pots are pretty darn bad, had one go bad, and found the volume pots were like 290k the tones like 450k in resistance.

All things being the same, changed all 4 pots to RS,
Supers for volume and the xl types for tone, all well over 500k.
It was like taking a blanket off the guitar for me, I was surprised at the difference.

That said I am riding my vol/tone controls constantly,
If you leave it at 10 it may not matter...

Second rs pots, or any correct resistance valued pot.
If you do the twist....

Top Bottom