Gibson Les Paul VOS 1960 Plain Top

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shoe, Aug 30, 2006.

1. shoe

shoe Member

I've heard people discussing the VOS 1958 plain top, but I've never heard (or seen) any other mention of the 1960 plain top. I "accidently" found this guitar over the weekend and I'm totally hooked. It plays better than any LP I've encountered (thanks to the PLEK job) and is very light for a LP! I've also not seen the plain top as an option on any other VOS 1960 model, so perhaps I'm a lucky one.

If you haven't checked out the VOS series yet, you're in for a treat. That said, the store I bought this from also had a 1958 VOS as well and there was no comparison. The '60 was way lighter, played better and just rang loudly when strum (acousticly). I've gone through five other LP's over the years and this one is a keeper! Sustain for days, light weight and it looks cool to boot!

:dude :RoCkIn

[​IMG]

2. GuffMorgan

GuffMorgan Supporting Member

That looks like the Guitar Center R0 (plaintop with a tangerine like burst), I've played a couple and they do feel great. If the serial number begins with a "G" then it is indeed a Guitar Center R0.

3. shoe

shoe Member

I did pick it up from GC, so that would make sense. Where did you hear about this special series for GC?

4. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I'd like to get one of those but they never come up used it seems. And I'm just not into buying new guitars.

5. thintele

thintele Member

6. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

That is indeed a G0 which is technically based on a 1960 Les Paul that the GC Hollywood had or has in its collection. As far as I know, it is not VOS nor is it Pleked. It has a Custom Authentic finish and may or may not have the CTS 500K pots and reissue bumble bee caps. It is a great guitar however and all the threads over at www.lespaulforum.org or .com sing the praises about the guitar. Gibson does not consider it part of the Historic Collection and the neck is more like a late '59 than an R0. Do not pay more than $2500. for one though despite them telling you it is locked in at $2699.

7. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

I have played several and all very nice but latest with the plek are just incredible, right now they have one that is so good that if i have the money I would by it. Plays great, tone so beautiful... the GO is a really great model and the plek is putting the Gibson custom shop one notch or 2 up.

8. Erik

Erik Member

+1 on the VOS Gibsons. I tried a VOS 'R7 at the HOG a few weeks ago and was extremely impressed. In fact, I was so impressed by how it played, sustained, resonated, etc., that I bought it without plugging it in. (I figured that would just be a formality, anyway.)

The PLEK treatment is really a nice touch.

9. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Very nice!!!!

Congrats on a very cool guitar!!!:AOK

10. GuffMorgan

GuffMorgan Supporting Member

Isn't everything that comes out of the CS plek'd now? Or atleast that is what I have heard as of late, could be wrong though.

11. waynesmith

waynesmith Member

I believe all CS Historic series guitars are pleked, be it VOS or gloss finish. The gloss finish is a $300.00 upcharge. I have an R8 (Cloud 9) chambered VOS Les Paul and the plek job makes the action low without buzzing and the edges of the neck are rolled. The nut has nice clean cuts, unlike the nuts on past Les Pauls where the G string would get caught up and never stay in tune.

12. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Nice score...I like the streaky fretboard. And you got a light one, good for you...and the PLEK job. Go ahead, smile! :)

I had a few of these before I found one that I really liked...it's 8 lb 6 oz and is one of the newer ones (like yours) with more of a honey finish than that oragey Takburst they did the first couple years. Great guitars...the tone it definietly there in the ones I've had.
    Greg