Gibson Les Paul, what am I missing?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Foghat fan, Apr 14, 2019.

1. just-joshin-ya

just-joshin-ya Member

Southside! Really! 25187, Home of well... nothing!
    I myself have tried many many times as well, from newer standards, customs, studios, signature T, traditional, ES, 79 standards and customs, and none of them ever felt like home to me except.... years ago I traded into a 96 LP Classic 1960 and foolishly traded it off, this year I found an 05 1960 Classic and it feels right, and sounds right! I never really loved the humbucker sound, until I went with low wattage amps Dr. Z Maz 8, and Z Plus... then it was like the lightbulb clicked on for the first time! I was always using too much wattage for my needs, now my 79 Tele sounds better than ever and I love the sound of my LP!

Snail likes this.
  2. JackfromAK

JackfromAK Gold Supporting Member

I really liked my LP Standard until I got an old SG. It's neck-divey as hell, notes bend by themselves in a stiff breeeze, it's got the Bigsby off and a wrap-around tailpiece that is kind of a pain in the ass, and the neck is so narrow it makes it kind of hard for me to play with my paws. I love it and play the dickens out of it.

I'll probably get another Les Paul because so many of my favorite players are known for them. Kinda like getting a pedal that's really popular - it's not that I want to run with the crowd, it's more that 50,000,000 fans can't be wrong. I might be able to get some sounds out of one someday.

Snail likes this.
  3. Snail

Snail Member

More than other guitar types, I found I had to go through quite a few LP’s (cheap and expensive) until I found one that was great for me. But when I did, it ended up instantly becoming my No 1. It’s an R9, Brazilian fretboard, great action, lots of power and balls, and a very good weight.

It still shares #1 status with my PRS 513, which is actually heavier than it. If you feel like you might like an LP, I’d suggest you don’t give up on the search. Of course, some people just don’t like them, but to me it’s odd to categorically not like any of the classic guitar styles...

4. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

Two of the guitars that when I played them the first time I thought 'That's a real guitar right there" were Gibson Les Pauls- a 1974 Deluxe and a 1957 TV Model. Another was not a Les Paul but a Japanese Les Paul copy- a 1990 Greco Mint Collection copy of a 1970s Les Paul Custom with a volute on the back of the headstock and witch hat knobs.

5. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

You missing the Marshall to go with it, a LP into a Marshall amp, Done.

Mark Robinson, uab9253, C-4 and 7 others like this.
  6. KenG

KenG Member

My first "lp" was a 2004 Epiphone Elitist 57 Gold Top foolowed closely by an Elitist LP plus as well. What I remember having been a USA Strat Plus owner for more than a decade was having to play it for about an hour to become familiar with it. Once that hr was over I was more than fine. I've owned 6 LPs since, still have my 2010 R7 and DC Jr. I sold a USA Trad+ because it was over 10lbs and two other CS models that I did love but had to pare down having too much '$ tied up in guitars(it was hard to keep track of string changes too!)
    Headstock breaks are rare in the scheme of the LP numbers out there and are frankly 99% caused by lazy users. Yes I keep them in cases but if tbe 20 seconds it takes to take one out toplay is too long for someone, they likely are too bloody lazy to use straplocks or notinterested to play long enough anyway.

7. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

It's definitely not for everyone. I owned a bunch and always sold them off. I now have an Edwards LP Special with a wraparound bridge and P90s that I like. There's nothing better for rock power chords. But in the end, I will always feel more comfortable with a Fender style guitar.

8. 21Hemispheres12

21Hemispheres12 Supporting Member

I've found no matter how hard I try there are some guitars that are just not for me. I've owned two Fender strats and one Suhr, they all lasted a few months with barely being touched and then were sold. Obviously other people can make starts sound fantastic but it my hands they just sounded horrible to me. I also tried out a DGT for awhile after reading all the rave reviews and again found it did nothing for me.

Now saying that, my absolute all time favorite guitar is my 2006 Les Paul G0. I feel like it nails the sound that is in my head and the neck is the perfect fit for my hand. I do share the normal complaints about weight and ergonomics but I'm happy to deal with it because the guitar is so killer.

I have noticed when gigging though I've stopped bringing it out because I favor my PRS Reclaimed CE24 for gigging duties. That guitar is so light and comortable it makes playing our three hour sets a breeze where as my Les Paul has my back starting to hurt midway through. Does the CE24 sound as good as my Les Paul? Subjectively no but I find that it can get a very diverse amount of great usable sounds and again the comfort is amazing.

So if you don't get along with Les Paul's I wouldn't say it's because you're missing anything, just simply not a guitar that works well for you.

9. MrGuitarhack

MrGuitarhack Member

It might not be for you.

But I wouldn't base the decision on just one or two sit downs with the guitar. I'd get a used Epi or Studio and really spend some time with them to see if you adjust to the ergonomics and feel of the guitar (Of course spend some time figuring out what type of neck, pickups, etc. you want on the guitar before buying it). At least then you know your opinion is based on a truer test of the guitar.

uab9253 and C-4 like this.
  10. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Headstock breaking drama? Weight to heavy for aging players? I am 52 is that too old to play a Les Paul? Anxiety so you kept it in the case?

Try a psychiatrist and xanax. You are sooooo off base its scary.

dalezjc and Rhythm Rocker like this.
  11. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

If the Standard was Gibson USA and not Custom Shop then those all have the Nashville bridge with studs sunk into the body and not smaller ABR-1 bridges with thin posts threaded into the top. It's possible you don't like the sound of a Nashville bridge (I've not found a guitar with a Nashville bridge that I like but have had many with ABR-1's that I love).

12. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I love mine, it gets equal playtime with my ‘02 Standard and R8, just a great guitar.

13. mmihai

mmihai Member

@OP: You have not stated what sound you were actually looking for and could not find.

In respect to the price, the are more affordable copies, like Epiphone, Vintage, Harley Benton, Guitar Fetish - just to name a few I can recall. Just make sure they're using the proper wood: mahogany + thick maple top (not just veneer).
    Thanks! I've been looking for one of these. :)
    Have you thought about popular players who changed gear and still remained popular? Or unpopular players who use their gear, but still remain unpopular. Maybe gear is not the secret. ;)

14. I am the Liquor

I am the Liquor Member

No guitar is perfect for everything. I put Suhr Aldrich’s in my Traditional, and none of my other guitars can touch it for creamy rock tone.

15. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Carved-top LPs do absolutely nothing for me, mostly too heavy and too expensive for what you get. I would take your Godin any day over a Gibson carved-top LP. I like the look of the Special and Junior, but weight is still an issue.

Do you like the JB? I had one in combination with a Jazz, and didn't like it at all in standard series mode, but their tone seems to be sensitve to their operating environment. I swapped it for a Jazz bridge.

16. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

I went through quite a few Les Paul's before I got a Memphis ES Les Paul with unpotted MHS pickups.

[​IMG]

It's really the only one I put my hands on and said "wow". Lively, light, lots of top end, articulate.

Rhythm Rocker likes this.
  17. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Man, I love Les Pauls. They hang perfectly and the neck and bridge are exactly where it feels natural to put my hands when standing up and playing live, and are also very comfortable when sitting down at home, for me. And slinging something with a bit of weight to it feels good when you're playing hard rock/heavier music.

I went Studio>Traditional>R9, and the R9 has made it impossible for me to have any other guitar as my #1. It's just perfect - no other guitar has been as playable/fun/incredible sounding for live, loud rock.

18. darchirnoj

darchirnoj Member

I dig most guitars. They’re all different (key word). Not better or worse, just different.
    With that said, I cut my teeth on an LP Special. Now, I just love playing Les Pauls. I feel at home. I dig strats and PRS too, but for that home cookin’ feeling, it’s Les Paul all the way for me.
    Les is more!

uab9253, Tommy Biggs and 59Vampire like this.
  19. scotty31

scotty31 Member

Not all axes are for everyone, and each brings a certain nuance.

Without knowing what it is that turns you off LP's, i would recommend trying out a 335.
    It may be the ergonomics.
    If its the tone, a 335 punches just as hard, but with a little less girth and a bit more clarity.
    I find them a better balanced guitar to hold too.

If that doesnt work, a PRS McCarty perhaps.

Plenty of options out there if you want that H-H setup.

Or if its the tone, try one with P90s (56RI, 50s tribute, Junior). There is no axe on this planet i like better than an LP with P90s. Or even just one P90. A Junior is a genius guitar in its simplicity.

20. Strat-cat

Strat-cat Member

Much like with every other “what am I missing” thread, there’s a reason why many of the greatest players of all time “get” it, with respect to strats or LPs or Marshalls or whatever.

Nobody can tell you what you’re missing. Hey dude, go listen for the haunting mids. Set the dials at this secured combination to unlock the special tones. No... there’s nothing hiding here. You get it or not. And that’s fine. Go play whatever you like.