Gibson Listed as THE Worst Place to Work

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jhvox, Dec 17, 2009.

1. jhvox

jhvox Member

2. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Damn, the employees really hate that guy!
    With morale that bad no wonder Gibson has issues with consistency and reliability.

3. davess23

davess23 Member

Wow. CEO is a real head case. I feel bad for anyone working for a jackass like that. I once left a company I had helped build, and worked at for years, and that I loved, to get away from one of those. There's little that makes it worthwhile to work for such a person.

I love my Gibbies, but now I see why the wildly inconsistent quality and customer service.

4. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

lol. I can think of worse places.

5. Blues Rocker

Blues Rocker Member

They left JetBlue Airways off the list? It would easily have come in at 1 or 2. Voted best domestic airline this year and it's not even listed? Employees love it at JetBlue!

6. webe123

webe123 Member

I was the one that posted those in the thread What is going on at Gibson? And I posted a similar one at other guitar forum sites.

This is what I posted....
    Originally Posted by webe123 [​IMG]
    Well until I see proof that Gibson is being bought, I still say it is just rumor.

Lots of rumors go on with that company, so I am skeptical when someone says basically.... "trust me" I know such and such is happening.

I will trust you or whoever else..... IF and WHEN I see Gibson actually being sold.

No offense, but until I see proof it is actually happening, I simply don't believe it.

NOW Gibson has just been branded THE WORST COMPANY TO WORK FOR IN THE US by it's own employees...

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5BF0N320091216

"Listed as the worst place to work was Gibson Guitar, followed by United Airlines, Spherion, AutoZone and Rain Bird."

This is like a very, very BAD soap opera that goes on TV forever.

I personally will treat it as just another Gibson rumor until I see concrete evidence that Gibson is being sold, but I gotta admit....the poor QC complaints...the raid over illegally harvested imported woods....and now the opinions of the employees as well as Gibson being branded the worst company to work for......and their money troubles......DOES make a person wonder.

Gibson fan boys will just blow it off as though it is nothing, but it is getting harder and harder to think that all of this stuff is simply...... "nothing"!

Company Rating Based on 57 ratings
    “Dissatisfied”

CEO Approval Based on 42 ratings
    “Do you approve of the way this person is handling the job of leading this company?”
    10% Approve
    88% Disapprove

I really cannot say I am suprised by all of this....we have been hearing horror stories for years about Gibson....maybe it is just now catching up with them?

7. epluribus

epluribus Member

Passed up a chance to work at Gib way back in the day. By worker accounts, it was a reasonably decent place to work, and by then I was a veteran of the furniture biz, so it was a good fit. The rub was the schedule, as I was a full-time student. We parted company with a standing offer to come back anytime. Interestingly, one of my biz school classmates took the job, went on to make a career of it, and ended up as a rather...um...highly-placed individual. :)

BTW, if you dig woodwork and you have good enough skills, you'll get moved around the plant to pinch-hit in emergencies. That was my strategy in the various furniture plants, and it makes the job all sorts of fun. But for a far better woodworking experience, find a top-flight custom furniture maker or a yacht company and see if you can get in there...to the extent they still exist in the western world.

--Ray

8. DonP

DonP Member

You do realize this thread was from 2 years ago? Google was the best place to work a couple of years ago, now it's Hilton. Times change.

9. epluribus

epluribus Member

Actually I didn't notice...hm...this thread popped up in boldprint like somebody posted to it today. Wonder how that happened? Alienses... :)

10. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

11. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

I have no idea whatsoever, therefore Aliens.

12. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I don't know about the other lines, but I have to give the people in the Historic shop a lot of credit -- they've been producing some amazing guitars under pretty adverse conditions.

13. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Yeah - but they get FREE Les Pauls every 90 days.........

OK- I made it up.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  14. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

Is this true? I'd take getting broomed twice a day if that were the case :hiP

15. epluribus

epluribus Member

Tyvm. :beer :bonk

16. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

where did you here that?

17. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

I've followed Glass Door on this subject for quite some time. Gibson was rated worst employer in 09. This year they are listed as the 5th. worst company to work for in America. The way things are going at Gibson, and after watching the behavior of their CEO I'm pretty sure that it's not that Gibson has gotten better so much as others have gotten worse. Henry J. is truly a legend in his own mind. If you want to know why Gibson is failing so miserably at building quality guitars while introducing absurd products like the Firebird X you need look no farther. The man is truly an arrogant self righteous ass. If Gibson manages to survive him there is no doubt that in years to come this part of Gibson's history will be known as the tragic Henry J. era.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  18. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

glassdoor.com is the worst possible source you could cite for anything. Anyone can register for free and rate anyone however they want. Try it yourself. They have ZERO credibility. I don't care about Gibson, I DO care about people citing sources that are utter horseshit.

19. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Member

I still like their guitars!

20. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

That's why I prefer TGP as a source of reliable information--they don't let just anyone blather on anonymously about things they know little to nothing about.