Gibson lovers - interesting read

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by emeraldwilly, Jan 25, 2008.

1. analogwarmth

analogwarmth Member

i love my gibby. i have an alex lifeson model coming already ordered, but it sounds like Mr. Pitts needs to work for Ibanez.

2. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

man.. that would drive me crazy

3. RichSZ

RichSZ Supporting Member

I think what you'll find is there are Gibson lovers who love the instruments, but for the most part despise the company and the mass market approach it is taking. Yes, we know they need to make money, but an increase in quality of the high end instruments would do a lot to rectify their image and rep.

This Pitts guy from Gibson sounds like he gave the guy the complete runaround.

4. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus Senior Member

i don't feel sorry for this clown. according to him, they were ready to honor his choices until he started quibbling and splitting hairs about the msrp and whatnot. The don knotts guy got rightfully fed up with him and wrote him off. any of us would have been thrilled to the point of shitting our pants at the thought of selecting our choice of 10K list price worth of Gibson **** for free. This dummy copped a typical ghetto 'ima get me mines' attitude

then the part at the end where he all but blames the whole affair for his credit card debt and his loss of love for music :cool:

5. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

Yeah, I agree that the prize-winner guy handled the situation poorly. Don Pitts at Gibson had a right to be annoyed with this bozo. He should have gotten his $10K worth of gear, but I would have been tempted to blow the guy off too.

6. JohnCovach

JohnCovach Supporting Member

The Gibson guy should have been clearer. The winner should have gotten a list of items (w/prices) from which to choose, with a deadline by which all choices had to be made in order for the offer to be valid. The winner's mistakes had to do with not having enough info on what he could ask for.

On the other hand, the winner here is really naive about how things work. If he cannot successfully manage a situation like this, how is he ever going to survive the music industry? Good grief--this guy is a sitting duck if he doesn't get things figured out pretty soon.

7. phatster

phatster Member

Getting legal advice early on might have been helpful....sometimes getting your own justice is worth the expense...you decide!:jo

8. Mike R.

Mike R. Supporting Member

He should have been given a list of available items and accurate prices from the beginning.

Gibson handled it like amateurs.

9. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

hmm maybe he would have been better trying to work a deal to get a $10K gift certificate or something from a music store since don was giving the guy full retail prices and not what the stores actually sold them for. can you say "the shaft"

10. scottlr

scottlr Member

Anytime you win stuff from a manufacturer, and a value is given, it is ALWAYS list price, never street price. Anyone should know this. The guy at Gibson should have made that clear in the first place. And I'd guess that somewhere in the rules and regulations for the contest that was spelled out (in 6 point type).

There's no way Gibson would give the guy a $10k gift certificate. They said merchandise, not cash. Perhaps they could have worked out a deal with a local GC, but they'd have had the GC use list prices, still.

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Damn. This is a HARD thread for me to pick sides in becuase I hate BOTH Rap artists AND The Gibson Corp............:BEER

12. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

If you've ever even remotely delt with the people at Gibson you'd probably take his side. They are a blend of utter incompetance and total arrogance. I scratch my head wondering how did these individuals got their jobs? I suppose it's the same all over corporate America...the guy(or gal) who kisses ass the best rises to the top, no matter how poorly he or she does the job.

13. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I am amazed how such a large corporation (at least in the musical instrument biz) could be on the verge f'ing up so badly. All it takes is this dude to start a grassroots rap movement going about how Gibson doesn't like Rap music (which always carries a racial subtext) and the bad publicity would make the difference between MSRP and MAP seem like the price of the sugar on a cup of coffee. Anyway, I want to see a Rap vid with a Gibson F5 mandolin in it:)

14. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I should have investigated before posting. If you read the comments on the QN5 blog, on of the bloggers posted the info to the Gibson forum which resulted in a post by H.J.

"I will investigate this issue and get back to you as soon as I get the facts. Since its Friday it will probably be early next week [hopefully Monday].

I will tell you that Don Pitts is no longer with Gibson and has not been with us for some time.

I have no personal knowledge about this issue and I personally approve all promotions for the company. We have a formal system where any agent of Gibson needs to present a promotion, its benefits and its cost. This then needs to be approved by a least two people before it comes to my desk. We do take these commitments seriously, and we have very strict internal processes to insure we deliver on our promises.

Regardless, I will get to the bottom of this and we will get you what was legitimately promised.

I do not know who you talked to other than attempting to contact Don, but we do have people on the phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week to solve any Gibson related issue [1-800-4-GIBSON]. While they do not have the authority to send you $10,000 worth of gear on the spot they are literally less than a minute from my office and should/could have resolved this in a very short period of time. If you had an unsatisfactory conversation with anyone else at Gibson, let me know so we can insure that this will not happen in the future.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to address this problem.

Henry E. Juszkiewicz
    Chief Executive Officer
    Gibson Guitar Corp.
    309 Plus Park

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=484

It sounds like a combination of attitude meets incompetance. The Gibson rep is long gone.

15. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

I don't think Gibson cares about the negative publicity. No matter how bad they come out looking they know damn well that people are still going to shell out their hard-earned money for Les Pauls.

16. tastylicks

tastylicks Supporting Member

Not sure how anyone can read that and think Gibson handled it well. What, the kid's supposed to lawyer up after winning a contest just to be able to redeem his prize? At a minimum provide him a catalog/price list to select from.

17. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I wouldn't have known this.. If Gibson had given the winner a catalog of stuff he could get and a price list for it all, he wouldn't have had to go to other store websites to try and figure out what he wanted.

Jeff

18. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

It would have been cool if Gibson just gave one of their big Name stores like a Sam Ash or a Guitar Center a $10,000 MSRP credit and just let the guy buy a Keyboard like he wanted. That's what good companies do.......they go the extra mile to make customers happy.

That way everyone is happy . One of their retailers gets a nice sale, The guy gets what he wants and Gibson gives what they promised. What is so difficult?

19. scottlr

scottlr Member

I knew the second I read the guy was looking at MF & GC that Gibson would tell him MSRP and not the MAP. Maybe it's because I have been around awhile and been through this sort of thing many times in my life (not with gear, but other such promotions). It's never as good as it seems, unless they say you win a 59 Les Paul VOS, then there's no price involved, though they will, for publicity purposes, state the list price to make the prize seem more than it really is.