1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Gibson LP Classic pickup swap suggestions.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RockDC, May 18, 2011.

1. RockDC

RockDC Member

I posted about a month ago and before I pull the trigger wanted to catch some more opinions. Here's what I don't like about the stock LP:

It lacks bright clarity and articulation especially when using it with my Super Champ XD... Not bad with with my 2204 Marshall.

What I play is mostly Classic Rock w/ modern flare... Think AC/DC meets Foo Fighters.

How about some suggestions... The ones on the table were WCR, SD 59, Gfs Classic 2, Gibson 57 classic plus but I'm open to opinions on these options or new options.

2. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Uncovered classic '57.
    Nodoubtaboutit.
    I will say, though that those super champs only like fenders. I think they were made to detect a les Paul and make you think that you need new pickups, wires, caps, pots, and ultimately a new guitar......a fender.

3. james...

james... Member

Here's my problem with the stock classic pickups: They freakin suck.

Personally I like the BG puf's as an alternative to the 57 classics. Just sounds better to me.

WCR or Bare Knuckle is always on the docket. Depends on what you wanna pay.

For bang for buck I always recommend BG pickups. It's BKP quality for a fraction of the price.

4. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

I'm using a slightly hot (9K+) '57 in the bridge of my current favorite.
    But who the hell cares how they sound through a CHAMP? Seriously, are you swapping out your pickups to cater to an amp that will probably have a lower price tag than the pickups you swap to?

5. Jason S

Jason S Member

I have a Classic with Duncan's in it. JB - Bridge & Jazz - Neck. Works well in that guitar.

6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

My Classic has the 57 Classic/57 Classic Plus combination and it sounds great. No problems with brightness or clarity.

[​IMG]

7. RockDC

RockDC Member

I like the champ. I sold my ac15 and my maz jr. Because I didn't use them as much... Granted I am just using it for church. I didn't want to leave a $1000 amp there.

The guitar sounds great through my 2204 as is... But then again almost everything sounds good through that Marshall.

8. RockDC

RockDC Member

why not 2 plus?

9. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Mine has a Fralin 8k/9k set. Very raw, vintage LP sounding.

10. Jignant

Jignant Member

Owned a 94 classic for a long time before deciding to swap pickups. Finally did a the swap because the guitar's output was too hot and it's tone too shrill. It was just sitting in the case. I went with Duncan '59s in zebra and now the guitar is in regular rotation. I'm sure there are better solutions out there but I was not willing to pay a fortune, and I spend my time playing rather than tinkering (not that there is anything wrong with that...)

Ceramics are in storage in the event the guitar goes up far sale but I doubt it. Good luck in your search. Chances are, whatever you go with will be an improvement...

[​IMG]

11. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Classic owner here...tried a bunch of pups and found a new wiring harness(500k pots and PIO caps), 50s wiring, with Suhr Aldrich pups was the ticket for me.

12. beckerman

beckerman Member

I really like Seymour Duncans. For an LP Antiquities or Pearly Gates set would be my first choice or if you prefer a hotter bridge then a Custom or Custom 5.

My Classic has SD Custom 5 in the bridge with a '59 in the neck. I have Pearly Gates set, Alnico II Pro set and Antiquity set in others LP's.

13. wizard333

wizard333 Member

JB/'59 or JB/Jazz, or sub Custom 5 for JB. Just sounds right in a LP.

14. Jignant

Jignant Member

I have a vintage (80's) JB/JAZZ combo in a 77 mahogany Explorer and that setup just KILLS!!!;)

It is a good combo for Lesters too!

15. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

57 Classics are THE Les Paul pickup to me. All the great classic Les Paul sounds are in there.

16. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

That's how it came from the previous owner.

From what I understand the 57 Classic Plus is wound for the bridge position. Some people like putting the 57 Classic in both positions but I've never heard of anyone putting the '57 Classic Plus in both positions.

17. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I had a first year Classic and when I put in Antiquities, it was like I had revealed a whole new guitar, way, way better.

More clarity, more girth, more full spectrum tone both clean and dirty.

18. picknpluck

picknpluck Member

I had a similar reaction when I put Seth Lovers in my LP. Geat pickups!

19. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

57+
    it's perfect
    i'm having a lot of fun w/ my guitar after putting it in

20. theroan

theroan Member

I have a 57/57+ combo in my Les Paul. They sound good, but they are lacking in comparison to a Les Paul with Marshallheads that owned recently. The Marshallheads (especially for the bridge) had the very raw, almost 80's, no brittleness or harshness beautiful tone to them.

As much as I like the 57's, I'm very much considering some WCR's or another set of Marshallheads.