Gibson LP control cavity shielding....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Darkness, May 6, 2016.

1. Darkness

Darkness Member

Is Gibson allergic to putting some copper or aluminum tape on the underside of the control cavity cover?

I live in an old house with a few ungrounded outlets, which unfortunately are the convenient ones to use, and the buzzing when using high gain amps dirt channels, Mark V 25 / Archon 25, was driving me nuts until I popped open the cavities on my studios and put two layers of aluminum tape on the plates undersides. Viola! Problem solved.

I'm just wondering if Gibson does this on all their LP's? Thanks for any replies.

P.S. I know ungrounded outlets are not cool at all, but I'm having a hard time getting my cousin, who is a master electrician, over to help me out.

2. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

I'm not aware of any shielded Gibson cavities from the factory. Wish they did too.

Did you just put it on backside of the control cavity plastic cover? Or also inside the cavity walls too?

3. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Back in the 60's Gibson had a stamped "can" that went inside the control cavity for shielding.

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

That lasted until the late 70s. I had one and removed the can so I could add some mini toggles, there was no difference at all in the noise level, NONE.

5. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

Seems unnecessary to me. A strat, sure, but not so much a Gibson.

Marris Otter likes this.