Gibson LP DC

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ChrisP, Oct 3, 2005.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Any love for the gibson double cutaway LP?

They are sexxxxxxy

[​IMG]

2. onemind

onemind Member

I have one just like it, every once in a while I take it out and I"m surprised buy how great it sounds. I think though it fell back in the queue when a close friend accused me of buying a guitar that was imitating another guitar that was imitating the first guitar. :rolleyes:

(s)

3. pesocaster

pesocaster Member

Only gripes I had when I tried them was the 24 fretts not really accessable... and it moves the neck pickup out of the "sweet spot"..... and they were VERY neck heavy on a strap.... Played well otherwise...

I ended up going with a Hamer Studio Custom... that addressed all of those issues for me YMMV...

4. onemind

onemind Member

Mine is light as can be...though maybe a tad neck heavy...

(s)

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

When these first came out, I sooooooooo wanted to love them! It was the perfect combination for me - Standard LP sound in the carved top body of a Special DC, and 24 frets for that extra push over the cliff.

Alas, it was not to be. I never could put my finger on it, but this guitar just didn't deliver for me. Maybe it was the extra neck length that threw me off, I don't know. The tone didn't stand up to the regular LPs that were next to it in the store. It just wasn't right....

6. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

I experienced about the same thing Cvansickle said. Absolutely just HAD to have one when they first came out, got it, something weren't quite right about it though.
    Nice guitars nonetheless, but I just never connected to mine.

7. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Used to have 2 a standard and a pro, I trade not so long ago the standard for a much more expensive guitar and I still have the pro, both share some good and bad things, the bad is that for some reason the selector switch tends to be intermitent, seems that it oxidyze a little, on the good things both guitars have a "sweet spot" were you can hear a subharmonic or wathever it is that resonates forever ina beautiful way.:dude

8. loverocker

loverocker Member

I agree with most of the mild criticisms above, and I'd add that in '98 Gibson QC Dept was a bit lax.

But there's something about it that I keep coming back to. Mine now had Voodoo '59s in it - a lot nicer for blues than the originals (490/498).

9. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I wish they had body binding.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to those ones they had at NAMM a couple of years ago? The looked like LP DCs, but they were goldtops and had binding. VERY cool looking, but I have never heard of someone actually getting one and have never seen one at a Gibson dealer.

10. Grap

Grap Member

I think the model you're referring to was a Les Paul Classic DC?

Another of Gibson's models that flashed into and out of production so quickly that it barely had time to register on one's retina!

The Les Paul DC's are nice guitars, although I could only ever find the Pro model at a decent price, and I wanted to see the wood ;)

11. aroman

aroman Member

I like mine better than most LP Standards I have played.
    I did not like the Stock PUP.
    I currently have a 59n and Screaming Demon.
    I plan to replace the Demon with a JB.
    They sound more "open", lighter and brighter than an LP Standard. The Neck PUP sounds like a Fatter bride PUP.
    They DO sound like a Gibson.
    To me they sound like a Mix between a Gibson SG and Gretsch DC Duo Jet. (Malcom and Angus in one !!!). I bet you could nail some Malcom Young Tones with a TV Jones Bridge PUP.

12. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

I've got 98 with a really nice flame (I think most of them were pretty nicely flamed) and I'm thinking about throwing a set of P-90's in it. I think Duncan makes a replacement that fits humbucker guitars......

Budman

13. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

I just saw an ad for that very p/u.

14. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

Several years ago I use to have one like this honey, but I did not like its neck and tone. I rather prefered my Les Paul Custom, wich was heavy but had one of the most comfortables necks I´ve seen, plus THE tone.

Now, the only Gibson I keep is my Standard SG, lovely tone, combortable and light.
    But guitars come and go in my life, so who knows what I am going to decide tomorrow:p

15. heybulldog

heybulldog Member

i have a dc studio in wine red as a back up for gigs and every time i use its a treat- loud clear full light did i say loud?

earl slick uses a dc goldtop classic with david bowie on the realitity DVD. Woodsy's music in kent ohio has one in stock now fwiw

16. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

How about this one?

[​IMG]

A Baker copy :confused:

17. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Can I sneak in with a LP DC Special Faded or is that against the rules?

[​IMG]

18. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Nobody thinks this Gibby DC Pro is interesting?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

I bought a LP DC Studio new in '97. I changed the wraparound to a bada$$ bridge and it's been my backup guitar ever since. Great guitar... I suppose I should change the pickups...

20. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member