Gibson LP doublecuts, whats the scoop?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by -kk-, Jun 25, 2005.

1. -kk-

-kk- Member

Ive always wondered why you dont see more of these around. Whats the lowdown on these guits?

are they not LP enough? does the 24 frets throw people off? 2 horny? :p

Im looking for variations on the LP theme, and these are under consideration as well, seems good value for money. For similar coins, i can only get LP studios in my neck of the woods.

so gent, go ahead... educate me.

2. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

Now we're talking!!

I've owned two (and still own one that was my main guitar for a few years, before I got PRSi GAS).

The hollow chambers in the sides allow for a lighter guitar, but man, they play like a DREAM!!! Sustain for days, and a REALLY rich sound.

It's the ONLY guitar besides my PRS that I would tour with.

It can give me a really, really pure, clean sounds... and a truly growling sound...

It's the beautiful "black pepper" standard.

(they also made them in studio models, but without the tune-o-matic bridge).

3. loverocker

loverocker Member

I have a DC Standard from '98. It was my first LP. It gave me the LP bug, and I so I had to get 'proper' LPs, too.

The 24-fret thing is useful but not as good as it could have been. First, access to the top 2 frets isn't that great (but at least access to the 22nd is better than a regular LP). You can see it in this pic:
    [​IMG]

Second, the extra frets push the neck pickup towards the bridge, so the typical LP neck tone is not to be found here.

What else? They're a fraction neck-heavy. But they're light enough that a decent strap (i.e. some friction) will stop that. Only two controls, which complicates matters if you like to switch pickup settings quickly. Thinner body than a regular LP, too, so adding switching pots - which are longer - can be tricky.

Finally, mine has a strange resonance on the 8th fret of the B-string: the fundamental morphs into the octave really quickly on sustained notes. It's like instant feedback (but it's not - it even does it when being played unamplified or with headphones). No idea what causes it, but I actually quite like it. :)

Finally, finally. They never caught on, so they tend to be quite cheap - great value for money.

4. nickD

nickD Member

What an excellent review/description of the doublecut. Feel like I learned something. Thanks loverocker.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

When these guitars came out, I really wanted to love them. I played several, and it just wasn't happening for me. I really can't explain why either. I have a double-cut Special that I adore. I was hoping that the Les Paul DC would give me the best of both worlds.

6. -kk-

-kk- Member

loverocker, nice axe!

and great description. im actually thinking that one fine day someone's gonna come around and use this as his/her main weapon in a popular band, and then we'll see them appearing everywhere.

seem to be good instruments (i suppose if you're not looking for an LP), and as mentioned, great value.
    just curios if these have been discontinued or is gibson roughing it out with them?

7. loverocker

loverocker Member

KK - the only famous connection I know of is Gary Moore - the track "The Prophet" on his 2002(?) album is a DC Standard. But from being over at the LPF, I know that a lot of LP traditionalists didn't click with it.

Forgot to mention that all/most of these have the slim taper '60s neck profile - perhaps another reason why some LP fans don't like them much. It suits me perfectly, though. :)

Gibson did discontinue them pretty quickly (in '99 I think), but I think they came back again last year? There's also a Pro version, but I forget the distinction.

8. propska

propska Member

Same here. I looked at them about 7 years ago. The standard les paul was sounded much thicker and fuller. I remeber feeling that it didn't quite sustain as well too.

I'd label it as a tweener. It doesn't quite get there as a standard les paul and it isn't quite like a LP special. Tweener sounds always left me wanting more.

9. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    The DC Pro is/was a Gibson Custom Shop model where you could choose finish, top, and pickups (I think). It has a narrow stylized headstock as well, as in this pic:

[​IMG]