Gibson LP Special fell off the chair

zombiwoof

Supporting Member
Exact same thing happened with my SG Classic when I was finishing up on changing the strings and cleaning it. Leaned it against a nearby chair, looked away and heard it falling. Heart leapt to my throat and I also let out an "oh no....!". When I picked it up, I saw that the only damage was a broken Kluson-type tuner, the shaft and back of the tuner separated from the rest and the tuner shaft was bent. I have a new set of nice Kluson Keystones with conversion bushings that I was going to replace the small button tuners with, so in the end it was not a problem. For a second, though, I imagined a terrible headstock break in my mind, and I was relieved to see it wasn't that bad.
Al

Guitarworks

I suppose this is one of the Gibson feel-good threads that inevitably emerges during the week or two Gibson spends under bombardment following a couple PR disasters.

lendryesky

i always hear about headstock breaks. and believe that it does happen. but in all my browsing for beat up les pauls for cheap, i never see one with a headstock break for sale. am i looking in the wrong places?
Oh, yeah. It happens. I see many Gibson guitars for sale with (repaired) broken headstocks. I prefer to find Gibsons WITH broken headstocks as they're about 50% cheaper. As long as the repair is solid, then it doesn't bother me. I like to play guitars: very badly but play them none-the-less.

I did once have an instance where I had an Epiphone G-400 Custom, or whatever the three humbucker Epi SGs were called, where I dropped it and it cracked at the neck joint but the headstock was fine. Another Epi Dot I had got a broken headstock though.

aynirar27

Notable Member
Gold Supporting Member
i always hear about headstock breaks. and believe that it does happen. but in all my browsing for beat up les pauls for cheap, i never see one with a headstock break for sale. am i looking in the wrong places?
Look for repaired SGs, i see them a lot.

Plus they are better than LPs anyways

Wasn’t Three Mile Island the result of a Gibson falling on its headstock and not breaking... but all covered up by Big Music?! Expect the CIA, NSA and AAA to come knocking...

David Garner

Gold Supporting Member
I suppose this is one of the Gibson feel-good threads that inevitably emerges during the week or two Gibson spends under bombardment following a couple PR disasters.
Yes. I’m really contributing only to project my shame.

(Actually I just don’t take it all that seriously).

FLYING V 83

Gibson Geezer
Silver Supporting Member
I call BS on all the "I've seen lots of Gibson headstock breaks" posts, unless they mean seeing them online.
Playing Gibsons for 47 years and haven't seen one in person yet.

edward

Supporting Member
Like many of you folks, I've owned Gibbies for years (coming on two decades now), and never broke a headstock (thankfully! ...and not saying it will never happen, mind you!!), but have also owned an LPC that I bought with a headstock repair on a whim because is was priced right. That guit turned out to be my #1 play-out guit for many years (until a certain R4 walked into my life ;) ). And still, this LPC serves as a solid workhorse for me today. What a great guitar. And when any guy sees the crack and reacts in shock (though apparently a solid repair that was a less-than good aesthetic fix) I can feed them a war story that never happened ;)

Secondly, at rehearsal once, I slipped off the stage with a 336 as there was bad/false footing at the very edge of the stage, and when I stepped there, BAM! My foot and body crashed down ~2' at full force and the headstock slammed onto the stage! Yes, slammed, so much so it bent the high-e tuning peg shaft (not to mention I got a huge road-rash along my arm that looked like I fell off a bike at speed! Imagine my horror and fear! I looked closely, tuner her up, and was golden. Perhaps it was the angle of the blow, but suffice it to say I was SOOO thankful I dodged that bullet!

To the OP,
Glad your Gibs is fine, but really, a chair? Get a herc stand ...as many as you need or case it. :D

Edward

dconeill

I've heard that passing gravitational waves from collapsars 3 billion years ago (i.e., 3 billion light years away) can cause the necks to disappear off of Les Pauls up to the 11th fret.

2HBStrat

I left it on a padded office chair, leaning against the back, butt on the chair, walked away and seconds later: THUD! I winced and turned around slowly, thinking "please, no." It slid down the slippery fabric, hit the hard wood floor and didn't break! I looked it over carefully: headstock intact, no broken tuners or hardware, nothing! Not clear where it impacted the floor even since the nitro already had a few dings and there wasn't an obvious new one. Was it still in tune? Hell no, it's not my Tele. But I'll take it.

Just wanted to post some anecdotal evidence--it's not an automatic headstock break if you drop your LP. Carry on.
Your experience is a good balance for the many examples of Gibson headstocks snapping off just sitting in the case...

FLYING V 83

Gibson Geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Google images just showed me 18 broken Strat headstocks, mostly along the tuner line.
So now I can say I've seen plenty of them.
Wonder how many Fender-Defenders will chime in to defend. (or somehow blame Gibson)

Trending Topics