Gibson LP Special VOS question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Winklin, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Winklin

Winklin Member

Can anyone out there in TGP-Land tell me when the last production year of Gibson's LP Special, VOS model, single-cutaway TV finish? This was a CS guitar, with 2 p-90s and just the wraparound bridge.
    Also, does anyone know the price they were going for (retail) in their last year of production?
    This would be a big help, as I've found a NOS model at a nearby retailer, but feel they're asking too high a price.
    Also, the guitar itself appears as though it may actually be used, although they're listing it as new. It's got strap lock buttons on it instead of the stock buttons, and the cellophane "VOS" sticker on the pick guard is missing. I thought I could see some pick swirls on the pick guard, and would be curious to know what experienced Gibson guys would think a fair price on this would be if indeed, it IS used.
    Any help appreciated!

2. Bing James

Bing James Member

3. schwa

schwa Member

I have some of the same GAS, I'd like a double cut, but I'd take a single cut if I found one at the right price. They're kinda rare.

Part of my problem is that the market is above how I value them. I would want to pay around $1300 for one, but they seem to be priced around $1800-$2k these days. I like the guitars, but not $2k worth. (That's too close to what I paid for my BRW R6).

4. Winklin

Winklin Member

Bing, I pm'd you on your Special.

5. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I bought mine new three years ago, think I paid about 2400 for it.

6. Bing James

Bing James Member

Pm'd you back, Winklin

7. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I don't know the last year, but I do know the first year for VOS was 2006. My cherry red 2005 Historic DC special is a 2005 and it came from the factory glossy...

8. Winklin

Winklin Member

Bing, I sent you another PM this morning.
    Thanks!
    -- Jeff

9. gmann

gmann Member

Oddly enough I just bought a used '12 on Tues. With the conversion rate here in Okinawa, Japan I paid $1500. It's a great guitar, lightweight, and sounds fantastic in all 3 pos. Nothing on the pickguard but some light scratches. There's a Gibson metal badge on the toggle cover on the back. It came with the brown Historic case with all the paperwork. I was prepared to pay $1700. but I made a lowball offer and the guy took it. It never hurts to bargain. The one Bing James has looks great and that is a deal IMO. You might try that unless Winklin bought it. Great guitars and Gibson didn't make a lot of these esp. compared to the other Historics.

10. nateco

nateco Member

I think the last price they sold for before they brought them back was $2400.

Used, they seem to go for 1600 to 1900....I've seen some priced way higher. I wouldn't sell mine for that, great guitars.

11. sliberty

sliberty Member

I have one too - a TV Yellow Single Cut VOS Special, and its an fabulous guitar. Frankly, I am a bridge pickup guy, and play my VOS '57 SC Junior much more, but wouldn't sell my Special for less than $2000. Not sure if I will ever pull the trigger, or find a buyer at that price for that matter. But its not worth selling for less in my opinion.