Gibson LP Studio bends fretting out?

still.ill

I got a LP faded brown where bends just seem a lot harder to play and m3 bends on the High E just fret out, unless I raise the action obscenely high. (I try to setup my guitars so I can just about get the m3 bends on the B/E strings)

My Gibson ES-335 Dot Gloss can do those bends no problem with even LOWER action....

Since they are both 24.75 guitars with 10's on them I feel like they should be able to play the same.

I'm guessing some fretwork needs to be done on the LP? I have both the necks about the same, straight with just a teensy hint of relief.

Ronsonic

Your guess is probably correct.

One variable you don't mention is the fingerboard radius - The more curved board is going to fret out at a point where a flatter board won't. This is especially an issue with the top two strings, since big bends will take them over the high point of the board.

still.ill

damn my tech is gonna charge me $320 for the fret leveling and setup..... he said the nut was too high as well.

I knew he was expensive but whoa.... well he does have a picture of him and keith richards sitting at the entrance(he's his guitar tech)

Last edited:

Schafrocks

damn my tech is gonna charge me $320 for the fret leveling and setup..... he said the nut was too high as well.

I knew he was expensive but whoa.... well he does have a picture of him and keith richards sitting at the entrance(he's his guitar tech)
My guy just did this for me for $70. The guitar plays unbelievable now. Very cheap I know, but I wouldn't expect to pay more than $150 anyway. Hell you should be able to get a complete refret for what he's charging. Is this guy a famous luthier? If not he should be because that's way out of line IMO.

Trending Topics