Gibson LP Studio or PRS SE?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bentayuk, May 24, 2020.

Which model?

1. Gibson Les Paul Studio

27 vote(s)
    54.0%
  2. PRS SE Custom 24

23 vote(s)
    46.0%
  1. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

I can get a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a PRS SE Custom 24 for about the same price.

First off, I already own 2 Les Pauls (Gibson Tribute and Epiphone Custom). They’re my main guitars, and I love them.

I want to add a White Les Paul to my collection, so the Studio is perfect for that. But I’ve never owned a PRS before, and I’ve always wanted one.

I can’t afford a Standard PRS, so it has to be an SE Custom 24, as that’s what’s available.

I mainly play Hard Rock to Metal. I don’t care about versatility, I just like straight tone. I barely play clean, so it’s all about that ballsy high gain tone for me.

2. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

Do you like thin necks? The SE Custom 24 is gonna have a pretty thin neck. If you're buying used at a goos price maybe give the Custom 24 a shot and if you don't love it you can always sell it without too much of a loss.

3. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

My SE Custom 24 Floyd is an outstanding piece of gear. Changed my entire perspective on the brand. However, PRS pickups, particularly their 85/15 (85/15S for S2 and SE) aren’t everybody’s thing. In my Custom 24 Floyd: they work and work well for everything, but they could be a little fatter. In my S2 Standard 24, they didn’t work, so I went with a set of DiMarzios.

But, and this is a big deal to me, the SE models, especially the World Musical Instruments, Korean ones, are really well made. Also, Custom 24s are usually pretty light, the ergonomics are as close to perfect for me as anything I’ve tried, and the upper fret access, compared to a Les Paul, is outstanding.

Live, I play my S2 Standard or Strat more often because the SE CU24s all have the Pattern Thin neck, and my hands and I prefer the Regular, but that’s a minor quibble.

madbanjoman and Bentayuk like this.
  4. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

SEs are great guitars. 24 frets and a trem will be a nice contrast to your Les Pauls.

5. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

i put pearly gates in my SE custom 22 and have literally not played my gibson LP studio since

i prefer the strat-ish body style of the PRSi and the lighter weight. i was also really surprised how much i liked the SE’s neck.

dont snooze on the PRS S2 line at that price point either!

jpagey, madbanjoman and Bentayuk like this.
  6. madbanjoman

madbanjoman Member

I own both. The SE is so much better guitar. Lighter, more comfortable, better sounding, plays like a dream.

jpagey likes this.
  7. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

This is coming from a guy who has 9 SE’s and 8 Core PRS...Get a “used” S2 Standard 24 from Dave’s for $795 instead.

While they’re not as sexy lookin’, they feel like a “real” PRS. You’ll get the good fretwire, the nicer wood quality, the slightly rolled fingerboard edges, and a way thinner finish on it... they’ve got a good solid base to them, and it’s a guitar you can grow with.

8. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Thanks for all the responses and votes.

I'd like to reiterate, my only two options are a Gibson Les Paul Studio or PRS SE Custom 24.

9. 21Hemispheres12

21Hemispheres12 Member

Or if you’re feeling extra saucy keep a look out for a used CE24. The ones made before 2016 are basically core bolt on custom 24s and the ones after are basically the same except for a shallower top carve and import bridge and tuners. I have an SE 35th anniversary custom 24, CE24 and a 24-08 and would easily recommend the CE24 as a first PRS if you can swing it.

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  10. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

I'm a Les Paul player primarily so I'd get the Studio.
    I've owned several PRS guitars including core models and while I recognize and appreciate their quality, I can't get used to them. A good LP on the other hand, feels instantly like home. YMMV.

11. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

If you have two LP's already....I'd say get the SE, but just don't expect the PRS to sound like a LP.

Calfee Jones likes this.
  12. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

Do you usually play standing? The PRS has its strap button about even with the 12th fret so it will hang further to the right than an LP.

13. theroan

theroan Member

The LP will be the better quality guitar. If you played them back to back you would feel and hear the difference.

14. RedRedWorm

RedRedWorm Member

given you own 2 les pauls, how about the PRS ?

15. sunking101

sunking101 Member

I wouldn't get a PRS because they leave me cold. So that leaves the LP Studio...

16. Stratman Dan

Stratman Dan Member

17. Sensates

Sensates Member

Have you tried a PRS though?

If you like the feel, they are also very good for hard rock/metal, although I would at least get an S2 (could never gel with a SE, owned a few).

For me, I would save up until i can get a really good LP. PRS just aint my thing, and a good LP is not cheap.

18. KBernard

KBernard Member

I have a SE 35th and thinking of changing pickups. I find they are not as close to the American pickups as PRS claims. Do the pickups in the SE 35th and the S2 sound the same to you? Will you keep the SE 35th guitar? Keep the pickups?

A few years ago, I bought my son a used 2015-16 SE Standard 24 (all mahogany), and the pickups sound similar to the TCI-S 85/15. Comparing, I have SD JB and Custom Custom in my Godin LGX and they are night and day better. The PRS TCI "s" G&B imports do sound better than Duncan Designed imports IMO.