Gibson LP Tribute series - convince me

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tonydetiger, Feb 6, 2012.

Which LP Tribute should I get?

1. 50's with P-90's

2. 60's with P-90's

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Supporting Member

My income tax refund is coming in soon, and I can use some of it towards getting a guitar. I''m interested in a Gibson LP Tribute guitar, either the 50's or 60's model with P-90's. I haven't had a chance to try one yet, though I have found out there's a couple in stock near me.

What are the major differences between the two? I know there's a difference in neck profile, but are there any other major differences?

My big concerns on a LP are weight and neck profile, and if I can find one that fits, I'll get it.

I'm making this a poll, so let me know your opinions. vote, then explain with a post. I'm going to try before I buy, but I like going it knowing the differences first.

2. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

the 60's model is nice and light. the neck feels great to me. not too big, not too small. and what a sex-pot.
    [​IMG]

3. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Really...it comes down to the neck. Everything else is the same. I know the weight can vary slightly....but it's up to your hands, ears and eyes to decide.

4. Lucky one

Lucky one Member

The newer 60'2 Tributes have black or very dark brown backs (maybe to hide the seams) and Maple fingerboards. Early ones have Light backs and Rosewood/
    All the 50's have light colored backs (some 2 pc a few 1 pc) most are 3 or 4 piece backs and rosewood fingerboards.
    Other than that, the difference is the neck profile. I have both and there is no a huge difference.

5. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

50's neck = too chunky. 60's neck - just right. My 60's tribute is very light. I am pretty sure the neck is the only difference.

6. miteemike3

miteemike3 Member

Also noticed the 50's and the newer 60's Tributes have orange drop caps. The older 60's Tributes had small ceramic disk caps.

7. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

8. southpaw66

southpaw66 Member

If you have the luxury to actually try them then just play them all and pick your favourite. I have a '60s and it a great guitar for the money. But build variabilty seems high based on comments here but i felt lucky with my internet order which just has sharp fret ends. At 7.8lbs i couldnt ask for a lighter les paul and recent top wrapping has brought it to a new level. It's like LP junior's older brother rather than a full les paul, but i like that slight rawness.

9. thornie

thornie Supporting Member

50s + P90 if you can find one. They don't make this model anymore so you're going to have to find one used. They make a 50's model with buckers now. The chunkier the neck the better, so I'm biased.

10. pb641

pb641 Member

I had a 60's for a few months last year, and I really liked the neck, (being hand sized challenged).

11. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Supporting Member

I'm hoping to hit GC this weekend to try one out. I don't know if I'll find a 50's with P90's but GC might have the 50's tribute with humbuckers that I can try for the neck profile.

I'm really interested in trying one out.

12. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

60's for the neck and the baked maple board. Smooth like ebony and a bit more snappy.