1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Gibson Lucille. Your thoughts & pics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bob Pollock, May 18, 2011.

1. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

I'm considering purchasing a used Lucille, and would appreciate your observations. Particularly interested in neck profile and weight. Please post a pic if you have one too. -Thanks.

2. Bob Pollock

3. Danny W.

Danny W. Member

I bought one in 1990 (it was called a "BB King Custom" back then) and it became my main guitar for standup gigs for the next ten years. It was a fine guitar and sounded terrific through the Mesa Boogie Mark IV I was using then. Can't comment specifically on the neck profile, except that it was the similar to an ES-355 of the period and was quite comfortable for me. It was pretty heavy--these days I prefer lighter (and smaller) guitars for standups.

[​IMG]

Danny W.

4. Bob Pollock

Thanks Danny, I'm 6'4", so a big guitar works for me, but not too heavy. I've owned a couple of 355's in the past, and their weight was ok. Just need a slightly bigger neck profile, seems like Gibson is using "slim-taper" for everything.

5. LTE

LTE Member

I want to say that it was a 60's slim taper neck. I think the pickups were run of the mill Gibsons (I think one was a 498?)

Nice guitar, but a little muffled sounding due to no f holes, but the trade off was reduced feedback.

6. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

JazzyDave had one he dug, but I think he's on the road this week so won't be able to check in for a bit. Dave? Dave? Dave's not here man... (couldn't help myself)

7. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

I had one for about a year. I lived in SC at the time (super hot and humid). I liked it but mine didn't stay in tune very well. I really dug the tone of it, but sold it b/c the tuning was always kind of finicky. Some people knock the variatone circuit, but I thought it was kind of cool. I remember reading a GP article from the Dan Erlewine's Guitar Repair Book interviewing BB. He said he never even used the switch. HA!

All of that said, perhaps mine was just a lemon. I'm in the market these days for a 335 style guitar. I'm probably gonna get an older 335.

8. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

I have never played one...but LOOKS alone put it at the top of the "cool factor".
    If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would get one of the nesest ones in Emerald Green (or maybe the Purple). ;-)

9. karmadave

karmadave Member

I've played them and yes they tend to be heavy guitars. They also have thin/wide maple necks which I don't care for. Cool guitars, but I prefer my 335...

10. straightblues

straightblues Member

Remember, Gibson Historic recently did a fat neck 335. They might even still be making them. If not, they do come up used occasionally.

11. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

The ones I've seen over the years were all slim-taper necks. They bore a heavy plastic finish and had lots of cruddy binding. IMO, Gibson cut a lot of corners on the Lucille. For a long time the Lucille has been a cheaper version of the ES-3x5 series, just as the ES-137 models are to the ES-175.

Maybe more recently built Lucilles are closer in overall quality to the the RI 355s or the other semihollows Gibson builds in Memphis. That would be good news, indeed.

12. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

My 2001 Lucille has a nice fat neck, but not over the top. Love it. Well made
    instrument, Memphis I believe. I like the slight extra weight, but it's not Les Paul
    type weight.

13. ugacrow

ugacrow Member

Your guitar has aged much better than the singer's windsuit.

14. Bob Pollock

Thanks all! Keep it going.

15. Bob Pollock

16. Bob Pollock

17. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Member

I played one for years....One of my all time favorites. Mine had a nice bug neck too....beefier then most 335's. I'm a big guy too. But developed back problems...then I sold it to a student. It is on the heavy side. Not ridiculous, but like an average les Paul (solid) or more. Great sounder though...and the black ones really look classy.

18. JTC

JTC Member

[​IMG]

Mine's from '92, I still love it. Comfortable, but heavy. A lot of folks don't care for the varitone, I find it allows great variety, and I enjoy it.

19. small axe

small axe Member

i think its good guitar, good for BB.....give me an es 335

20. LTE

LTE Member

Does BB even mess with the varitone knob?