Gibson Marauder Guitar - what's it worth

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Denny, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Denny

Denny Member

I jammed with a guy last night who has a mid 70's gibson Marauder sunburst guitar he whats to sell - sunburst, bound rowewood board, schaller bridgd (original), clear Billy Lawrence Pickups (original), good condition, few scratches and dings - what's something like that worth w/ hardshell case (aftermarket)? Thanks

Denny

2. Shamus

Shamus Supporting Member

Ebay shows the most recent closed auctions ranging from $575 - $800. Depends on condition & originality though. There are 3 on evilbay that are hovering around $600 right now.

3. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Local shop around here had two of them in the $700-800 range.

Not a particularly desirable model.

4. soulohio

soulohio Member

the current prices don't reflect that they were not a desirable model...heavy and had a composite resin body...paul stanley used to tour with pallets of these guitars and break one onstage every nite....$100 bucks with the case and part it out unless you want to make it a slide guitar or an open tune drone...

5. whitehall

whitehall Member

I sold those when they were new, and it was a pretty tough sell. Though not nearly as hard as selling the RD artist. They were some of Gibsons attempt at going modern. If you like it , buy it. Hell it's only $600 and you can tell people you own a Gibson.

6. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Not much. the only possible exception might be if Gibson was using Braz for the fretboard...perish the thought. You could probably pull that fretboard off and put it on a Gibson that's worth something.

Just a total off the cuff speculation. Those guitars weren't so special.

7. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

The prices mentioned are pretty much in line, but the Marauder was not the model with a composite body. I forget the name of that model(senior moment), but it came about 10 years later.

8. Fripperton

Fripperton Member

The Sonex-180 had the composite body. Gruhn's ID says the Marauder specs called for either a maple or mahogany body. If it's a sunburst I'd guess it's a maple body.

9. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

I think the Sonex had the composit body, real POS, where the S-1's Marauder were maple if memory serves - I would'nt pay much over a $100.00 for one, but if I could sell it in the $600+ range, I'd take the money and buy something much better.

Just my opinion

Kevin

10. soulohio

soulohio Member

yes...the sonex...my mistake...thanks for pointing out that i didn't know what i was talking about...

11. gregc

gregc Member

My younger bro had a Marauder; I played it a lot; nothing really special, but cetainly not a dog; cool guitar just for the novelty value at this point. you don't see em every day. Definately solid wood, his was a deep cherry stain.
    gregc

12. Denny

Denny Member

I had a natural one when they first came out - with the pickup blend knob - not an awesome guitar but it played nice - I'm not interested in buying it, my friend wants to sell it or trade it for a start.

D.