1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gibson marauder... Should I?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by axpro, Dec 10, 2005.

1. axpro

axpro Member

:confused:

Saw a good deal on a 76 in pretty clean condition... I am usually a PRS guy, and the maple neck feels pretty good... it's got the slanted single coil in the bridge, and the block-o-plastic humbucker in the neck... I've never actively sought after one of these, but am wondrting ehat the general concensus is on them (besides that it is pretty damn frightening to look at!)

DAve Mc

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

How does it sound? I love quirky, unusual guitars that sound surprisingly awesome. Many great sounding pieces have been ignored for a variety of reasons (styling, non-endorsed, confusing, etc.) exclusive of their tone. When you find one that does sound really good, it's a triumph. Go for it. Older guitars like that may not increase much in value, but they won't go down either.

3. Luke V

Luke V Member

I had one, back in the 70s, when they first came out. It seems to me it was Gibsons attempt at a Fender tone. Mine was a natural satin finish, I think it was a bolt on neck too. I got rid of it about 25 years ago , so I don't remember alot about it. If you can get it for a good price, go for it. You may really like it, if not, turn it over.

4. mrotenberry

mrotenberry Member

Plays great. Pickups are less than stellar. Id say go for it as long as it wasnt too much money.

Merrick

5. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

paul stanley used to break one every night.

6. axpro

axpro Member

ON of my Co-workers mentioned that... and THAT couldn't even get the value up! :D

IT does sound kind of neat, and the neck is pretty comfy. THe pickups may have to go, but I kind of dig it...

So much for me shrinking the herd....

7. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

That was my first guitar back in 78 or so. Sold it years later & found another recently & picked it up for old times sake. Neck was much thinner than I recall ... didn't have the same charm for me the second time around. Neck pickup is nice, bridge pickup was lame...

HT

8. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

I personally have never liked Gibson style guitars, despite having owned 2(SG, LP), but a friend of mine left his S-1 at my house while he is out of the country for a while, and I like it a lot. I think the build is similar to the Marauder, but with different pickups. It feels and plays great.

9. axpro

axpro Member

I don't know much of the model history of the Marauder, but I have heard of people saying that the necks were too think and that they were too thin, which makes me think they probably switched profiles at least once. This one has a neck like a baseball bat, It's actually chunkier than the Gibson 59 profile, and it is one ofthe reasons I am actually considering it...

Dave Mc

10. axpro

axpro Member

Looks like someone has the exact same guitar as the one I am looking at up opn the bay right now... his is a little cleaner, but not much!

[​IMG]

11. LHanson

LHanson Member

S-1 (or was it S-3) was a great guitar. Friend of mine, recently deceased, had one. Not a 3 pickup guitar, but a 1 pickup guitar with 3 coils spread out onto the face of the guitar. Very odd, and very nice. I wish I had it, but he sold it right before he hung himself....

12. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

I love the Paul Stanley story! I remember seeing photos of him smashing those. I'll bet Gibson was happy to move them out. Looking at it now, it's obvious that Gibson was completely clueless about what guitarists wanted.

Those are the guitars (along with the S1) that just about put Gibson out of business in the 1970s, opening the door for Ibanez, Yamaha, Dean, Hamer, ESP, Charvel and eventually PRS. They were junk then and they are junk now.

As a pawnshop prize, maybe for $50 it would be humorous to have as a piece of history.

13. axpro

axpro Member

THe cost for the one i am looking at would be around 275. Figured it might be okay,a s they seem to be going kind of high lately (i guess everyone who remembers them is trying to reclaim our youth! (isn't that how all vintage gear gets expensive?)

14. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

by the way at a KISS show one of my friends got a black 3 pup s1 paul smashed. Gues what? It was hollow. Paul never played it. He just ran out with it and smashed it. By this time I gues they just got em to make a bunch of hollow ones for him to break. The old shop I grew up near always kept the L6, S1 and Merauder etc.

15. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

The first Gibby that I bought new was a Marauder, exactly like the one pictured above in the nice dark burgandy finish. Mine had a rosewood board. I played the heck out of that guitar!

Sidenote: I bought it from Veneman's Music-remember them? Back when a guitar store was a guitar store?

Mark

16. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Not actually. The whole vintage deal started because pro musicians realized that by 1966 the guitars that Gibson and Fender were making were shite. When the Beatles and the Stones (and others) invaded the world's conciousness those companies went into overdrive. They went from making thousands of guitars a year to thousands each DAY. Something had to give. As soon as it became BIG BUSINESS, the guitar guys were out and the suits were in. They hired consultants who designed guitars like the Marauder that were easy to make and they resorted to three piece tops, five piece bodies and junk hardware.

The same thing had happened to Martin guitars in the folk boom a decade earlier, driving the "pre-war" guitar prices up. Same with Banjos and mandolins.

Bottom line: When the cream get's too expensive for the little guy, he buys half & half. When that gets too expensive, he buys milk.

I just don't understand why anybody would pay money for a 3rd rate axe that was one of 3000 made that day when there are so many nice guitars available now. I guess there's a Yugo museum somewhere too.

17. DavidE

DavidE Member

Yup! I saw it for myself back in the day....

18. axpro

axpro Member

Had a chance to spend some more "Quality" time with the Marauder this afternoon.... I think I'll pass. It's kind of nifty and everything. but it really doesn't do anything that isn't covered better in my stable of instruments. And, truth be told, the "fretless wonder" frets on these guitars is more than a little low for my tastes...

19. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

I've always thought the Marauders looked really cool but I've never heard anybody say they sounded good.

Gibson should reissue them but do them right - put good pickups in them and use an ABR bridge instead of that gigantic thing they used on the originals.