Gibson Memphis ES-330 Model Differences?

archtop

I’ve been interested in getting an ES-330 since the ‘59 VOS model (no longer available). Have the subsequent models been as good, and how have the specs changed? Should I look for a ‘59 on the used market, or consider a more recent one?

I’m not afraid of large necks, but not turned off by smaller ones either.

Buck Woodson

Silver Supporting Member
The main difference I've seen is price. I got mine a year ago, AMS was moving them for the space and new years models and they had financing.

They all sound great to me. Great P90s that really go well with that full hollow body and you can use it unplugged like an acoustic.

I tried one with humbuckers and I struggled controlling the feedback so I returned it.

H. Mac

Based on the ‘59 RI I had for a few years, it might be wise to wait until a used one comes along.

GiorgioV

I've never tried one of the newer ones, I can only comment that my 2013 reissue (first year I think) is an insane guitar in every aspect, it plays and sounds THAT good.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve been interested in getting an ES-330 since the ‘59 VOS model (no longer available). Have the subsequent models been as good, and how have the specs changed? Should I look for a ‘59 on the used market, or consider a more recent one?

I’m not afraid of large necks, but not turned off by smaller ones either.
I found the later ‘61s to be fantastic, only difference was a skinnier neck. The wildwood-spec models have different P90s, both fantastic sounding. Hard to go wrong.

Shark Sandwich

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Wildwood '59 ES-330 and a white Tamio Okuda model with Bigsby. Both have large necks. Had one of the '61s w/Bigsby but the neck was too small so I sold it. These are AMAZING guitars--I will never sell them. I would look for a used '59 model, you won't regret it.

Bluzeboy

I’m all about the CS LN models. Neck joins in the “right” place, the P90’s sound like P90’s should.

archtop

Would the 2012 ‘59 ES-330 have the laminate rosewood that other Bibsons had that year? Anyone ever popped the nut off one to find out?

GiorgioV

Would the 2012 ‘59 ES-330 have the laminate rosewood that other Bibsons had that year? Anyone ever popped the nut off one to find out?
AFAIK it is a possibility. I have never popped the nut on mine nor do I intend to. If a guitar sounds good it just sounds good period. No need to fuss over details such as this.

To put things into perspective, once a friend of mine that used to own the best 1960 (real) les paul junior I've ever heard played my 330 and offered me to buy it on the spot. It's that good, laminate board or not.

jujube

I also have the VOS 61 in Natural with Bigsby that I got New from CME for around $1800.
Think I played the guitar for less then 5 mins and its back into its case for the last 2 years lol.....JT

You need to play it more! After my Strats, it is my favourite. It has the most perfect crunch tones on the bridge of all my guitars.

johnnytuinals

You need to play it more! After my Strats, it is my favourite. It has the most perfect crunch tones on the bridge of all my guitars.
If I decide to take the ES330 out of the closet then I also have to take out Both ES335s that are just as New
from the closet lol...…...I keep saying to myself I need to play these but I have at least 30 other guitars that have never been played just hanging out in the closet lol...…………………….JT

jujube

If I decide to take the ES330 out of the closet then I also have to take out Both ES335s that are just as New
from the closet lol...…...I keep saying to myself I need to play these but I have at least 30 other guitars that have never been played just hanging out in the closet lol...…………………….JT
That's not a good situation! LOL.

johnnytuinals

Its not bad at all,,,if I needed the money I would sell some guitars butttttt if I ever die the guitars are staying with me lol...…..JT

Trending Topics