Gibson Memphis ES-335 Gloss/Satin Reissue vs Memphis ES-335 Block

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ILikeGuitar, Feb 11, 2012.

1. ILikeGuitar

ILikeGuitar Member

Hey guys I'm doing some research on 335s. Does anyone have experience with these Memphis 335s? Are the neck profiles the same on the regular Dot and the Block versions? How do the 57s sound different than the Burstbucker Pros in the Block 335?

I'm not going to lay down the ridiculous cash for a Historic/Nashville one, but I hear the Memphis ones are nice as well. I've played a Memphis 335 Satin before and thought it sounded great (neck was a little thinner than I liked but I'm sure I could get used to it). I'm considering the "Fat Neck" version too.

2. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I have a 335 plain gloss.I have played a few satins.The newer satins come with neck binding .The neck profile is the same to me.Really its the same guitar with a satin finish.I really like the neck on mine alot.The 57 classics are great clean or overdriven.I havent come across one with burstbucker pro.I have a bb pro in my les paul .I like it , but think the 57s are a better pickup for a 335. I bought the gloss because I didnt care for the satin finish on the neck, but its just my preference.Hope this helps.

3. RJLII

RJLII Member

I just picked up a "Fat Neck" version produced in Memphis. It's exceptionally nice. I much prefer the neck carve to the standard "slim taper" that's used on most of the Gibson semi-acoustic line.

4. ILikeGuitar

ILikeGuitar Member

Yeah the Memphis Block Reissue comes with the BB Pros which is I think the only current model 335 that comes with pickups other than 57 Classics. Are the BB Pros brighter? I know they're A5 as opposed to the A2 57Classic

5. ILikeGuitar

ILikeGuitar Member

Bump, which one gets closer to a Clapton tone? Don't know if the C57s or BB Pros would be closer to the '64 Patent No. pickups in his original

6. ILikeGuitar

ILikeGuitar Member