Gibson "merges" with the Danes

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by twinrider1, Jan 18, 2008.

1. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

2. hank

hank Member

Everything has a beginning and an end. This is the beginning of the end.

Look for Chinese manufactured, Gibson-labeled guitars by the end of the third quarter. It'll start with lesser Les Pauls and mandolins. Henry, thanks for all the memories. :moon:AOK

3. cube

cube Member

I cant see Henry letting that happen .
    i see it more as TC will be part of the Gibson brands and technology

i could be wrong

4. JohnCovach

JohnCovach Supporting Member

5. r8burst

r8burst Member

6. webe123

webe123 Member

Wait a minute guys....it does not say anything about the terms of the agreement in the article! Only that they are undisclosed.

I really cannot see Gibson packing up and moving anytime soon.

I think people are jumping the gun a little too early.

But TC Electronics DOES make a decent effects floor unit for the guitar....and expensive too.....known as the G System.

7. ford

ford Member

It will be interesting to see what this brings about.

bford

8. JohnCovach

Here's the line to think about (from the Gibson announcement):

"Under the terms of the new acquisition, Anders Fauerskov will remain based in Europe, and serve as Chief Operating Officer of the new combined Gibson Guitar Corp."

9. Strat God

Strat God Member

A normal 'merger' release give us little to talk about- but if the TC guy is to remain the CEO - then TC is the dominant partner and not Gibson.

Frankly, Gibson'd quality has been fair at best lately - I bought a '59 VOS LP for 5 grand last year and it sucked. I sold it within a month.

This might be a really good thing for thier quality - european companies run their businesses differently- better and more efficiently- than american companies. Maybe this will be like CBS/Fender??????

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

If people are not "waiting to see what happens" it's Gibson that is responsible for that.

Glad I bought my first and last Gibson last month before -1- the big price increase; -2- now this.

11. karmadave

karmadave Member

It's interesting that this is being positioned as a 'merger' vs. an 'acquisition'. I think the jury will out on this one for quite a while...

-KD

12. lamf

lamf Member

Wonder if this merger will be like the Chrysler -Mercedes "merger"

13. uvacom

uvacom Member

Regardless of who has controlling interest (if that is the correct business term in this case), TC is not stupid. They want Gibson because it's a brand that has cache. It has cache because Gibson has an image of heritage, and that heritage is in the US. It would be the blunder of the millennium to stop making Gibsons in the US. Besides, it's cheaper to make 'em here than in Denmark.

Based solely on my personal perceptions of Gibson products and TC products, I can only say that I feel this will be the best thing to happen to Gibson in decades.

14. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I think it's pretty clear that this has nothing to do with instruments but rather audio equipment.

TC doesn't make instruments, they make amps, speakers, pedals, etc. It's been pretty clear for the past year or so that Gibson wants some part of the electronic side of the market.

There are also a few queues in the article,

The company has a number of premium brands of pro audio technology and produces amplifiers, speakers, digital processors, guitar pedals and other pro audio and MI products. TC Group's customers include top musical artists, world class recording studios, television and radio/TV stations, prominent theatres, commercial installations, and home entertainment.

"The synergy between the two companies will allow us an enormous advantage in the development of new audio technologies and brings together two of the world's most poweful brands."

I don't see why anyone would assume this means anything for US produced guitars as short of "guitar pedals" and the name of the company, "Gibson Guitar," the word guitar isn't used in the article.

15. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

16. JohnCovach

Could be. Toyota makes cars here.

17. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

It'll lower the price of the greatest offering known to musicians! Robot guitars for everybody! [​IMG]

18. webe123

webe123 Member

Now THAT was funny!

19. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

I'm sure Custom Shop will be made in the USA no matter what, now and forever....

:D

20. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Actually - I see it the other way around. Gibson will gain from this. TC is a very well respected company which makes great great products.