Gibson Midtown Custom Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mangoman, Jan 20, 2015.

1. mangoman

mangoman Gold Supporting Member

Quick question on these guitars....what do they usually go for on the used market and how are they regarded by the Gibson aficionados???

2. lunchie

lunchie Member

Well, I can tell you that I posted a NGD over on mylespaul when I bought my Midtown Standard and you can hear the crickets chirp. I think the Midtowns are great but from my experience the die hards tend to shy away.

3. FennRx

FennRx Member

It is a les paul forum.... ;)

4. tnjazz

tnjazz Supporting Member

In good shape - $1000-$1200 for a custom, about $200 less for a Standard. Those are the prices I've seen most often.

I bought my 2014 Midtown Custom new and all I can say is if you haven't played one and you love Les Pauls but hate the weight, you are missing out. It does have a bit of hollowbody vibe since it's semi, but not much of the tone. Still one of my best guitars though.

5. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I had one of the first run guitars and sold it later on ebay for 1300, but at the time Gibson was sold out of them. 1000 -1200 seems right. They hold their value better than most les pauls.

6. lunchie

lunchie Member

Yeah, I had 2 replies and one was my father. MY SGJ thread has well over 20 replies until it started to get trolled and I asked for it to be shut down. So there is lots of love for all Gibbys and really non Gibbys as well over there.

7. slogger

slogger Member

There are 4 currently on Reverb going from 995.00 to 1200.00
    I was thinking about grabbing the 995.00 however the wife would kill me.

8. drpoyer

drpoyer Member

IF you are not in a hurry 900-1000 dependent on the top is the "right"price. The p90 versions, those with bigsby and the Kalamazoo's are not in production any more and are holding values. Many p-90 versions and the Kalamazoo have rosewood boards. The later can bring closer to 1700.00 with its cult following.

I have flipped a couple of these Midtown's (cause I thought they were cool and could be had cheaply). Before they reissued them the prices were touching 1500.00 for a pretty one with a book matched top. Now they are back down to the 900-1200 range.

The tops range from really nice, to 3 pc's of sort of the same looking wood. Obviously the former is better.

I just picked up this one (yesterday) it took me a while (4 months) to find:

[​IMG]

1) Sunburst
    2) Book matched top
    3) minty
    4) 1075, shipped. The seller probably cleared about 925 after fees and shipping costs

There is one listed in the Akron/Canton, Oh Craigslist for 900, with a 3 pc top. http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/msg/4831884065.html Nice guy, he will deal, not sure if he will ship. I would have taken this one had the nicer one not popped up.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  9. ambientfixation

ambientfixation Member

I just bought one for less than 1k

10. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

I have owned 2 or 3 Midtowns. At the end of the 1st year they came out you could get one for about $800-900 shipped. I would not pay over $1000 for one used, as they are a bit of a mutt, with the fake wood figerboard and the flat top. I wish the neck was a little slimmer... but great sounding guitars.

11. mughead

mughead Member

You wont get much out of those nob heads on LPF if you post a guitar with a richlite fretboard it seems.

For what its worth i would have one. No problem. It is what it is.

12. Starshine

Starshine Member

I bought a standard (humbuckers, richlite board) brand new on clearance for under $1000 and its some of the best money I've spent on a guitar. Rosewood is usually my third choice for fretboard wood beneath maple and ebony. Honestly, I now prefer richlite to rosewood after owning this guitar.

I agree with the prices mentioned above, which makes the Midtown a killer deal. One of these days I'm going to pick up a custom in natural and have the top refinished to candy apple green. Always wanted a guitar in that color.

13. XKnight

XKnight Member

They are awesome guitars and a real bargain used at around $1000. Some folks don't like the Richlite fretboards on the Customs, but the Standards came with Rosewood. I have a really cool Pelham Blue P-90 Standard which was a fairly rare color so that one should be worth a bit more than the Customs, but I have no intention of selling it. It plays as well as any Custom Shop Gibson that I've owned.

[​IMG]

14. MJRPhoto

MJRPhoto Member