Gibson Midtown Custom...................

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by major-minor, Jan 14, 2015.

1. major-minor

major-minor Member

Anyone using one of these?

Never even heard of them before, but played one this week and really like.
    Looking for opinions comparing this to a Les Paul , or 335.

Thanks.

2. Meals

Meals Member

From the responses I got over the last week, definitely in the LP camp over the 335. Its more of a chambered solid body than a full fledged semi-hollow. I passed.

3. major-minor

major-minor Member

Thanks Meals.

Yeah---just did a search and am getting good info there.

4. caspa

caspa Member

I've had mine for a few weeks now, completely in love with it.

I guess feel and sound wise it is a little closer to a les paul, but there is still certainly some 335 in there. The bustbuckers are great, both Warren Haynes and Rich Robinson chose them for their signature es-335s.

It's easily the best fretwork and finish quality I've owned on a guitar (especially compared to my 2013 firebird)

I think above all they just look really amazing as well, by far the best value you can get on a Gibson these days.

[​IMG]

5. major-minor

major-minor Member

That's sharp looking caspa.

I don't know humbuckers very well. Can you tell me the differences between burstbuckers and class 57's?

6. Meals

Meals Member

Is there any arch to the top at all, or is it completely flat?

7. taddertot

taddertot Supporting Member

Yeah... I agree with caspa. I had mine for trade/sale on here for a few days (felt it was overlapping with my Lesters). But..put a set of 11-48 on it. Rings and resonates like crazy. Definitely a leg in the 335 camp as well. Fit and finish is great, frets are great too. Incredible bang for the buck. :) [​IMG]

8. major-minor

major-minor Member

This is exactly like the one I played. It's a used one with 9's on it. I'm used to 10's , so it feels a little weird to me. May have them throw some heavier strings on before I get serious about it.

9. slogger

slogger Member

No arch to the midtown series. I have the standard with p90s. Great guitar. I would love to pick up one of the Customs, I think they are a humongous bang for the buck with all the appointments.

10. rummy

rummy Member

These are some gorgeous guitars. It definitely sounded more like an LP than a 335.

11. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Man....black is THEE color for that guitar! Sweet!

RussB likes this.
  12. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I actually had 3 of the P90 variant for a while. Very, very cool guitars though the 3 of mine were pretty inconsistent with 2 having some slightly sloppy finish work. But the 3rd was just magic and I very much regret selling it. They are definitely more of a solid body than hollow. But IMHO, a 335 sounds more like a Les Paul than a full hollow body as well.

13. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

I have a Standard, with the P90s. I replaced the bridge pickup with a a Gibson mini humbucker.

It's my favorite guitar, and it's most definitely NOT equal in sound to my les Paul. It's much more on the semi hollow side.

I never tried the Custom, though it looks great too. I just really wanted something g very different from my les Paul.

14. abaroid

abaroid Gold Supporting Member

I bought a black one when they first came out a few years ago. It's a fine guitar. While the sound is probably closer to a Les Paul than a 335, it's not the same as either. I would describe it as a more open or airy Les Paul. I find the size is a little more comfortable than a 335 (a little bit smaller) and the weight is great. Many people crapped all over the Midtown when it first came out because of the synthetic Richlite fretboard. I've had no problems with it. Yes, real ebony would be preferred although I'd be willing to bet in a blind test, 90% of people would not be able to tell the difference. For the prices that these are going for, I think they are a very good value.

I also considered buying a Midtown Standard with P90's but for some (probably shallow) reason, I could get past the headstock design which just didn't appeal to me.

mojocaster.com likes this.
  15. caspa

caspa Member

To be honest I don't have a ton of personal experience with either, these are my first alnico 2 gibson pickups.

To my ears, they are just what you would expect from a PAF style pickup, and the compression from the alnico 2 pickups give them a much mellower sound than I was expecting (I assumed they would be more jangly than alnico 5).

16. tnjazz

tnjazz Supporting Member

I've got a 2014 Midtown Custom and it's fantastic. Feels great, plays great, looks great...

Only thing I didn't care for were the Burstbucker 1-2 combo, so I yanked them and put in a 57 Classic/Classic + set. Much more pleasing to my ear, and still brighter than my LPs. The BB's were too bright for my taste.

17. indyrunner03

indyrunner03 Member

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Gibson Midtown Custom for awhile until I found a CS-336 (basically a custom shop version of the Midtown) for a ridiculously low price. Midtowns are great guitars and great value for the price!

18. slogger

slogger Member

Yes the headstock is disappointing. I'd much prefer the diamond inlay and the standard gibbon headstock to the somewhat awkward looking headstock they put on the standards.

19. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

I went to check one out locally last month. I was pretty pumped on checking it out, as I had read some exciting reviews around here on them.

I didn't end up buying it. I hate posting negative reviews of things people enjoy (not trying to be a buzzkill), but the guitar felt a little on the cheap side, had neck dive, and didn't sound impressive to me at all. The neck pickup was the most fun, but not worth the price. I really liked the burstbuckers in my G0, but just wasn't digging them in this guitar much. The guitar as a whole felt plastic-y to me and not strong.

20. goldtone

goldtone Member

How does the 336 compare to the Midtown size-wise? Is the Midtown a bigger body?