Gibson Midtown Thoughts?

RedRabbit

I'm in the market for a new guitar and looking for something dramatically different than my usual stable of PRS Standard 24s. The Gibson Midtown has definitely caught my eye while my Jazzmaster craving has moved to the back-burner. I played an Epi Dot all through high school before I could afford anything of quality and I miss having that semi-hollow tone. What are people's thoughts on them? Anything important to look out for?

Last edited:

hackenfort

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure what you mean, I got mine for $799 at Sam Ash and I see them selling used for more than that regularly...

You did well - I've not seen new below $900, used I was getting offers about 1/2 that, took almost a year to sell on CL for $650

sg13

They're great guitars...really awesome sounds. Semi hollow tones with more sustain than a 335. The burstbuckers sound great in them.

RedRabbit

Appreciate the input everyone! Speaking of the burstbuckers...never been a fan of them. Has anyone tried humbucker sized P-90s in a Midtown? Also, is the quality difference between the standard and the customs dramatic?

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
just played one one at SA (used for $900) thru a Blues Deluxe and it was prob the bestt sounding rig i hit up up in a while
the classic 57s, sounded real good

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
You did well - I've not seen new below $900, used I was getting offers about 1/2 that, took almost a year to sell on CL for $650

i feel your pain. sometimes i think its just not worth selling stuff. im trying to unload stuff now and the offers i get are ridiculous where id just rather keep it.

sg13

Appreciate the input everyone! Speaking of the burstbuckers...never been a fan of them. Has anyone tried humbucker sized P-90s in a Midtown? Also, is the quality difference between the standard and the customs dramatic?
From my experience, I think the 2015 standards were the nicest run with rosewood boards.
The customs have richlite if you're into that and were often heavier.

Bullseye092

Silver Supporting Member
I've played a couple that were awesome and several that had some ugly QC issues with the nut and frets. Be careful. The 137s are great semi hollows in my opinion.

Starshine

I have a 2011 Standard with the 57/57+ pickups, small headstock, Bigsby and richlite board. Not the prettiest thing, but it's my favorite Gibson. Not only does it sound and play great, it doesn't have any weird ergonomic issues that so many other Gibson models have. It's comfy like a Fender.

MattC

The BBs sounded pretty good in the Midtown, especially on clean sounds. I was curious, though, so I dropped some GFS Mean 90s into my Midtown. They sounded very nice. I was able to get some really great jangle-crunch tones out of them. Think Matchbox 20 "Long Day" rhythm sounds. That said, if you're fiending for P90s at the outset, I suggest looking for a used Midtown already loaded with real P90s (they're out there or they were last I checked). There's nothing quite like the real thing.

Hm, weird. I think that may have more to do with the current status of the market in general. I think I got $900 for mine used via CL about 2 years ago.

pbmw

I bought one when they first came out. I think I paid $750 or so for it new. Great sounding guitar. I think it has 57's in it. Mine's red.

I bought a few Gibson Midtowns in the hope of replacing the Gibson 335's that I gig with with them. To me they a great guitars, they are a solid wood semi hollow body guitar, however they don't compare with a 335. If you where to put Gibsons Les Pauls at one end of the sonic spectrum and Gibson 335's at the other end, then in my opinion the Midtown isn't in the middle of the two, or even leaning more towards the 335 territory, I would say it's close to covering 80% of the Gibson Les Pauls sonic territory - after all they do have a solid maple top solid mahogany back and sides, and 20% if not less of the Gibson's 335's sonic territory, in other words they sound far more like a solid body than they do a semi hollow body guitar. Which is a shame as I really really like the colour of the pelham blue Gibson Midtown, more so than the ebony or sunburst. That's my thoughts on them, I don't regret buying any of them, they just weren't capable of doing what I had hoped to do with them, I still like them, and think that they are great guitars, and great value for money. I would honestlt recomend that anybody thinking of buying one, to just buy one.

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
I had one for a while... best thing about them for me was the sound.. it sounded great...

cons... never got along with the size of it and or the neck size felt strange and the fret edges needed to be sanded down....

its gone now...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom