• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Gibson neck profiles

howdy-doo

Looking for a bit of advice to get some idea of neck profile of the 50s and 60s Les Paul Standards. Currently where I am has a fairly strict lockdown, so if that eases I'll see if I can try some out but it's looking unlikely for a little while. I normally like fairly chunky necks, with the Eric Johnson Strat being my current main guitar, but I also absolutely love the profile of the Jimmy Page Tele. This has got me thinking I'd probably like the 50s profile the most, however years back I owned a Gary Moore BFG, which looking back at the specs page seems to be a 50s profile. I didn't hate it, but I definitely wouldn't say I loved it, as I remember it to have fairly pronounced shoulders and flat back.

So in the current absence of being realistically able to try one out myself I wanted to see what you all thought about the 50s vs 60s profiles and how they compare to the JP tele / EJ strat if you've tried them.

Thanks everyone

Tri7/5

The new 50's (assuming you are referring to the new models) to me is much more like what you are after IMO. More round and a bit fatter than the 60's which is just slightly flatter. More pronounced C vs a slightly flatter C. Just again my .02.

It's hard to compare against the EJ as the EJ is very unique to me personally and more of a soft V vs. the LP C.

howdy-doo

The new 50's (assuming you are referring to the new models) to me is much more like what you are after IMO. More round and a bit fatter than the 60's which is just slightly flatter. More pronounced C vs a slightly flatter C. Just again my .02.

It's hard to compare against the EJ as the EJ is very unique to me personally and more of a soft V vs. the LP C.
Yeah I'm looking at the newer models. Thanks for the information it's definitely something to think about. I actually ended up measuring the depth of my JP tele neck and it's very similar to the slim taper neck, just a bit thicker at the 12th (came out at 0.78 at the 1st, and 0.98 at the 12th!), but the EJ (at least in thickness) is much more akin to the 50s. I think based off that I'd probably be happy with either, as I'd originally thought the JP was at least 0.85 or so at the 1st.

pappy35

Go to Wildwood's site. They list 1st and 12th fret thickness for every guitar they sell, any brand (Gibson, Fender, Reverend, Suhr, etc.).

Gibson does not publish any kind of information about how one profile differs from the next. Period. Full stop. There are however a lot images on the net that show profiles with similar sounding names but they are not published by the company that cuts the wood (Gibson).

I just went through this kind of search back in March and again in July before buying my first ever Les Paul style (a new 2020 Epi LP 60's) and my new Gibson 50's Standard. I ended up buying a 50's (a Guitar Center wall hanger) to try it out, returned that poor abused example of a Les Paul, and then bought the keeper from Wildwood.

Looking at the data from Wildwood, even between the same models, there can be a lot of variation, the final neck sanding is done by hand at Gibson so every one will be in a range (which again, is not published by G). Though you are are on lockdown, really, the only way you are going to know is to physically try different ones.

Last point, I settled on a thick neck 50's based on playing one. For my entire playing career up to that point I would swear that I preferred think neck guitars. Actually playing that 50's though was like a revelation: I've been playing the wrong neck profile for 40+ years. I say this only to emphasize the importance of actually playing neck that's different that what your used to. You might be surprised by the outcome like I was...

pappy35

Now, having typed all that, I would say that, to me, the new Standards are like:

60's: top row Med C:
My EPi 60's measures 0.838" at the 1st and 0.949" @ the 12th)

50's: 1st row Chuncky-1:
Wall hanger, 0.886" / 0.965"
Keeper (Wildwood Select 50's), 0.904" / 0.990"

1602869419550.png

C-4

OP,
For 50's necks, it may not be a good idea to judge what a Gibson neck will feel like, since you are comparing that to Fender necks which are different and feel thinner, both in width and front-to-back feel.

For a Gibson neck, look at 1st fret thickness at about .88 and 12th fret thickness at about .98.

I have gone through a lot of necks checking out the thickness, and these measurements feel thick, but comfortable without cramping your playing style. Also look for guitars with narrow shoulders or "cheeks" as Gibson calls them. If you can try a couple, you will see what I am so poorly trying to explain to you.

pappy35

Also look for guitars with narrow shoulders or "cheeks" as Gibson calls them. If you can try a couple, you will see what I am so poorly trying to explain to you.
I echo this wholeheartedly. In my case, the only one I found that was like this was a new Custom Shop '59 that I just could not figure out how to pay for. That damned neck though haunts me. If only I had an extra four grand laying around...

Reactions: C-4

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
Well, Standards still have the asymmetrical profile last I heard. I think the '60s Unburst is a '60s Slim Taper profile not asymmetrical but I'm not sure if that's still "current?"

Good pics above, the '60s Slim Tapers tend to be more thin at the 12th than the above pictures, but as mentioned above; variations and variations over time and "models." A 60s Slim Taper on an LP is not the same as a 60's Slim on a 335. I know, what? It's kind of maddening...

My '08 LP Goldtop is 0.81 to 0.86.

CME posts measurements often times too, another good source besides Wildwood.

Some examples for you: depending upon year and "series" these change, hand sanding variations, etc. Over time the R0's had three different necks at one time for example, blah, blah. BUT for general guidance:

R0 - 0.83 to 0.92
R5/R8/R9 - 0.93 to 1.03 - but the profile shape can vary
R7 - 0.895 to 0.995
Player Plus - 0.82 to 0.95
Classic - 0.8 to 0.87 ('60's Slim Taper)
50's Neck - 0.82 to 0.96

pappy35

Well, Standards still have the asymmetrical profile last I heard. I think the '60s Unburst is a '60s Slim Taper profile not asymmetrical but I'm not sure if that's still "current?"

Good pics above, the '60s Slim Tapers tend to be more thin at the 12th than the above pictures, but as mentioned above; variations and variations over time and "models." A 60s Slim Taper on an LP is not the same as a 60's Slim on a 335. I know, what? It's kind of maddening...

My '08 LP Goldtop is 0.81 to 0.86.

CME posts measurements often times too, another good source besides Wildwood.

Some examples for you: depending upon year and "series" these change, hand sanding variations, etc. Over time the R0's had three different necks at one time for example, blah, blah. BUT for general guidance:

R0 - 0.83 to 0.92
R5/R8/R9 - 0.93 to 1.03 - but the profile shape can vary
R7 - 0.895 to 0.995
Player Plus - 0.82 to 0.95
Classic - 0.8 to 0.87 ('60's Slim Taper)
50's Neck - 0.82 to 0.96
My 60's Standard Epi and 50's Standard Gibson are definitely not asymmetrical profiles. For the current model lines, I think only the "Modern" has an asymmetrical profile but, since my experience is only form this one year, I can't comment on any of the other year's production.

It is totally maddening given how important this is to many players. After so many years of zero interest, I love Gibson's guitars now, bit I hate their marketing. They need to provide more, and better, details about the product.

howdy-doo

Thanks everyone for your replies! All the information is super helpful. I actually found a good deal on a 50s with a returns date in to January after I posted my original post so though to hell with it I'll give it a try. It arrived this morning and so far the neck feel really nice, I think the 60s would have been too thin for me.

Here's a pic:
View attachment 297646

Got a better picture here actually that shows a bit of the flame on the top. It's fairly subtle but I prefer that style.

Had a real chance to play it since before too and I so far I think it's a keeper. It feels / sounds amazing to play and it's only 8.8lbs, right at the weight I wanted to be.

Thanks again everyone

Last edited:

Trending Topics