• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Gibson Nighthawk pickup question

NoahL

On the original Nighthawks with the slanted bridge humbucker, is it a conventional humbucker or just two Fender-style single-coils in series? I know the Duncan reissues offer JB or 59 "voicing," but I wondered about the original. I've seen these called both M Series and NHT Series, but one of those might refer to Gibson's later reissues. Anyone had one of these open?

StratoCraig

The original Gibson specs call the bridge pickup an "M-series slanted humbucker". I've never been entirely sure what "M-series" means.

I've never opened up the pickup, but I can say that the pole pieces look different between the two coils. On the coil nearest the bridge, the ends of the pole pieces are just dull, featureless gray metal discs, but on the other coil, there's a distinct radial pattern in the way light reflects off them. Whether that means one of the coils has real pole pieces while the other just has slugs, I don't know for sure. None of the pole pieces are adjustable.

StratoCraig

I thought of that possibility, but the M-III never had a slanted humbucker or a mini-humbucker as far as I know.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
On the original Nighthawks with the slanted bridge humbucker, is it a conventional humbucker or just two Fender-style single-coils in series?
definitely a purpose-built angled humbucker complete with bottom plate.

fender strat coils are way bigger than individual humbucker coils; i've rigged up "humbuckers" out of dual strat pickups, and the result is massive to the point of being overpowering and too bassy.

it's also a real trick to get the coils locked together so they don't vibrate relative to one another and cause squeal, i had to bind them together under the pickguard with a zip-tie.