Gibson or Epiphone les paul

kustombob

I been wanting a Les Paul type guitar to round out my stable. I use mostly super strats but I like a les paul for Southern Rock music I do. Southern rock just does not look right playing my Jackson.

I am down to the Epiphone Tributes with the Gibson 57 pickups or the new 2017 Gibson Tribute. Any ideas on which is better. I will be buying from sweetwater today with their special deals that ends today. Thanks for help

Bluesidae

^ agreed. Many of us have made the journey. Start with epis... eventually we end up with Gibsons. Save yourself some time and money - get a Gibby!

deytookerjaabs

Silver Supporting Member
I'll put it like this.....I decided to get a historic Les Paul and sold my Tribute last year. I played a boatload of them, unplugged, at the shops along with classics/standards/traditionals etc. Even the one I ended up with I'm not so sure is a step up from the tribute just in terms of acoustic presences & sustain etc.

It's a darn fine formula, that chambered body and the more nashville style bridge along with pleked nut & frets which, after taking the relief out, are just top notch for a factory job. Throw on some higher tension strings and the thing will just sing without an amp in the house!

Nothing against the Epi but I just think the Tributes have all the important aspects of great guitar: well kilned wood, very thin finish, great fret/nutwork, and solid hardware.

Dawg76

Silver Supporting Member
Been playing southern rock for about 40 years and have both a Gibson LP Traditional (see left) and an Epi LP Standard; both with Gibson '57 Classic pickups. They both 'work' just fine, but go w/ Gibson if it fits the budget (or stretches it just a tad) :)

I remember being in Cleveland on business back in Sept2004. Stopped by the RRHOF where they had Gary Rossington's "Bernice" and a couple LPs from Dickey and Duane. THOSE were axes.

All that said, to me, the amp is the most important part of the signal chain. Gotta have the "right" amp too - :D

Sombras

I have a Gibson LP Trad Pro II, an Epi LP Standard Plus Top Pro, and an ESP/LTD EC-1000 (identical body and similar components to the Alex Skolnick signature model).

Most everyone will tell you to get the Gibson. If you're a headstock snob (raising my hand here) then you'll eventually get there, so just do it. If you're not, then the Epi will save you a ton of money and, for most intents and purposes, get you the sounds you need for your application.

If you're a stickler on ergonomics and need a COMFORTABLE LP-style guitar, then the ESP is absolutely the way to go--not even close. It's as comfortable as a Strat and has a thinner neck than even a Gibson 60's profile. The pickups may be a little hot for country rock, and the XJ frets will take a little getting used to. It's the most shredder of the three options.

kustombob

Thanks all' Dawg 76 yes I agree with the amp has much to do. I have many amps. But used my Marshall 100w dslh with a 1960 cab with greenbacks. I can get a good crunch with it. I love Molly Hachet ' Point Blank' Hydra' ect. Also I am a 80s Hair Metal guy. Most of my guitars are Floyd Rose style. My Old Strat is not and does Blues and southern rock. But I thought a Les Paul style would round out my head, I have own many LP's in the past but have not had one in 7 years. I just play at home now in my studio and play with old band members still just for fun. I guess my main question is the new Gibson Tributes better than the Epi. Thanks ps' I am still on the fence on passing on a new guitar and getting a Marshall silver jubilee. But I miss a LP guitar.

neils

My 2 cents, though full disclosure, I have an Epi for sale in the Emporium.

Right now I own three Fenders, Two Gibsons and the Epi. The Gibsons are a basic LP JR, not a CS model or anything. The other is an R4. Love that R4. I find though I play the Fenders more than anything else. I've decided to sell the Epi. It was my one and only Humbucker guitar as I had no guitar with those pickups at all.

I bought it nearly exactly a year ago. 1960 Tribute Plus, Sunburst etc. Played damn near perfect right out of the box (Sweetwater). This is the $749 Tribute, Maple cap (not veneer), Long neck Tenon, locking Grovers, CTS/Alph pots, 57's etc. Zero to complain about and played next to the R4 the difference was the neck and the pickup sound.

I HAD to change some stuff though right? I had a pair of Wolfetone Dr V pickups so I installed them. Very little difference to the 57's. V's are A2 unpotted and low wind. Almost wasn't worth doing. The push/pull pots on the Epi were just not that great and I never used them. My brother sells Emerson kits so I installed one. HUGE difference vs stock even though all values were the same as the Epi (except the .015 neck pup cap) and the guitar really opened up and sounding very very much like the R4 with P90's. It's a got a great low wind woody tone. It'd asiry and clear, the neck pickups is very very open and not dark or muddy. Blind fold test vs the other used Gibson LP's in my brothers shop there is nothing to tell you this is an EPI, I actually prefer it to the other LP's with hotter wind pickups.

The Tributes are a great value for the money. I'm just not playing mine and while I'll miss it I'm not totally LP'less when it sells. It would/should be easier to sell a Gibson if you find it isn't for you. Buying new? Not sure a base model Gibson is actually a better guitar when you put them side by side and compare specs and hardware.

Neil

3 tone strat

It depends on your budget. I have one of the Epi Trubutes and it has been a solid guitar and sounds great, but at $749 new, it is not that far off from lower end Gibson prices. If you go with the 2017 Gibson Tribute, I would not buy sight unseen. 3 of the 4 that I played did not feel right and felt for a lack of a better word...cheap. Gibson's also tend to hold their value more if you decide to sell..

cap10kirk

It depends on how much the name on the headstock means to you. I had the same decision a few years ago, I went with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I couldn't justify the extra cost of the Gibson, it really wasn't a much better guitar. If you're buying sight unseen (which I don't recommend doing), I think I'd feel better about getting the Epiphone. The lower end Gibsons, in my experience, have too many quality control issues to buy without trying it first...they're one of those guitars you may have to try 10 of them before you find a really good one.

myke232

I am also looking at getting one those, and Epi LP or Gibson LP Tribute. I am definitely leaning towards the Gibson. Few hundred more but I think/hope it is worth it. I am focusing on weight too, I think the Gibson will be lighter, but more testing/research needed to find the right one maybe. I playing an Epi LP a couple of weeks ago and it felt insanely heavy to me...

ken374

I had some Gibsons over the years and went with a USA strat since summer, I been hankering for some humbuckers and just got a EPI Les Paul special II with a flame top for cheap, wow what a player! no fret buzz and my neck is almost strait , stays in tune good and the strings dont bind in the nut like some gibsons I had lol

Thick distortion on the Marshall dsl 40 im pretty impressed, compared it to a Gibson Les Paul classic at the store and that was a bit more brighter with the maple cap and the pickups but the Epi was right up there. I owned a few Epi's over the years these Chinese quality is pretty good:) Until I get a more expensive guitar this does satisfy my needs

Rayzaa

I been wanting a Les Paul type guitar to round out my stable. I use mostly super strats but I like a les paul for Southern Rock music I do. Southern rock just does not look right playing my Jackson.

I am down to the Epiphone Tributes with the Gibson 57 pickups or the new 2017 Gibson Tribute. Any ideas on which is better. I will be buying from sweetwater today with their special deals that ends today. Thanks for help
The dudes in Skynyrd use a Les Paul, a Strat and an Gibson Explorer. They look and sound just fine. That said, id get the Epi Tribute. Gibsons are too much for my budget. But if im buying it id get a PRS instead. Just never been able to bond with a LP.

bob-i

I'm a fan of Epi, I have 3. I use my Epi SG for slide in an Allman brothers tribute band, sounds and plays great.

A have an Edwards LP that I just love for the fretted playing with that band. It sounds great, plays great, and looks the part.

A friend of mine has both an Epi LP and a Gibson LP, and I've done setups on both. I don't see anything on the Gibson that is better than the Epi. They both play great after a setup, they both sound great and both look great. The Gibson cost 4x the Epi.

All I'm saying is weigh your options. Epi and Gibson are not the only 2.

JBid

I really like the Epi Tributes and nearly bought one last year. I cannot knock the Gibsons, especially the faded finishes and studio models. Used Studios can be real bargains and great players.

Gibson for the finish alone. They feel so much better than the poly on the Epis. Smell good too.
Besides that, there's the obvious stuff like hardware and electronics. Better across the board.

Trending Topics